It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:56

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Nov 2008, 11:21 • #1 
Administrator
Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! Please feel free to join in and participate in the discussions. Fiberglass fly rods are not a thing of the past. For some very savvy fishermen, they are the best rods for the situation. Spend a little time browsing this site and you may find a few surprises.

The main topic of discussion here is fiberglass fly rods. We discuss collecting fiberglass rods, the finer attributes of modern glass rods, the finer attributes of classic glass rods, classic fly reels, repairing rods, and of course fishing with glass rods. Especially the fishing, because that is the point after all. On the other hand, we don't discuss politics, religion, sports, news, or pop culture.  The tradition here is to keep the discussions on topic and courteous. 

Visitors
If you are visiting, feel free to browse, read, and lurk as much as you want. You do not need to register a user name if you simply wish to read or search the archives. If you are researching an old fly rod, use Google or Bing to search the forum by adding the phrase site:fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ to the end of your search. If you wish to join the discussions or ask questions, you must register as a new forum member.

Forum Registration
You must register a unique user name and a functional email address to post in the forums. Click this Register link (or at the upper left hand corner of the page). After you submit the registration form, you will receive an e-mail. A forum administrator will review and approve your application within a few days. If your registration doesn't come through in a week or so, please contact the site owner.

Registration hint: in the field Fiberglass Flyrodders Application: please enter at least a few sentences explaining why you wish to join. Minimal responses like "Found on Google" or "I found a fishing rod" or non-specific responses such as "I want to join a community of like minded individuals" will be deleted. Sorry. Tell us what it is about this particular forum that makes you want to join.

New forum members are free to post in any of the discussions on Fiberglass Flyrodders, except the For Sale, Wanted, and What's New in the Market forums. Due to past problems, there is a 25 post minimum for anyone to post in For Sale or Wanted. No replies are allowed in For Sale.  Starting new threads in What's New in the Market is restricted to commercial members and administrators, but anyone may reply.

Again, welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

Tom

Post 10 Mar 2009, 12:52 • #2 
Spent a week in February in Patagonia at the Patagonia River Ranch fishing with a 9' Albright rod and enjoyed Incredible fishing despite my lack of expertise. On my return home to Connecticut I decided I could best acquire sorely needed casting skill on our small streams, so I just bought a 7" fiberglass rod from Martin Duckworth on eBay .

Looking forward to attending the meeting in Riverton on May 30 and watching the experts strut their stuff,
J. Ware

Post 10 Mar 2009, 13:11 • #3 
Emeritus
Welcome to Fiberglass Flyrodders jware. If you're looking for information on glass, you've come to the right place. We won't even harass you too much about your Albright! There are a lot of good people here that are happy to share information and many of them are from your neck of the woods. You'll also find some exception rod builders and fly tiers here as well. If you'd like, you can tell us a little more about yourself. Just click on the link. https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=444

Howard

Post 06 Sep 2009, 05:29 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi, I've been following this website for a year & a half. I am a glass rod and Hardy reel fan. I'm 50yrs old,been tying flies since I was 11yrsold. traditional soft hackle & flymphs as well as the more somber welsh,scottish and northern U.K. seatrout flies.I also tye & fish streamers for brown frout,lake ontario atlantics and steelhead. I fish the small very brushy central N.Y. streams,as well as the Salmon River-quite a bit.Y'all keep up the good work. thanks
Flickfly

Post 06 Sep 2009, 07:08 • #5 
Administrator
Flickfly,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! I'm glad you decided to join and post. Twenty years back I lived in Syracuse and didn't know how good I had it. I really miss those small trout streams I used to fish.

Tom

Post 10 Sep 2009, 01:56 • #6 
Thanks Tom, its been a good year for the local water-cool nites & enough water. we had a good run of Skamnias & a better run of atlantics. the hot flies for me two modifications of old patterns. Size 12 - 8 mustad R90 hook, partridge & orange with rolled dyed mallard or wood duck flank wing + prtrge tail , fine gold rib. the successful fly for lake run browns & atlantics was a knock off of an old welsh seatrout fly. Same model hook as the first fly,same size range. rolled teal flank feather wing a peacock herl orange tinted body & medium red wire rib, brown grouse or partridge hackle & tail. thanks again for the welcome. flickfly

Post 28 Apr 2010, 10:04 • #7 
Hi my name is Matt and I am new.

Post 28 Apr 2010, 11:57 • #8 
Administrator
Matt,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! I hope you will like it here.

Tom

Post 28 Apr 2010, 16:31 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
hello Matt, what rods do you like to fish?

Post 03 May 2010, 12:04 • #10 
Hi all, located in Portland, Oregon area. Just wrapped first rod--graphite 4 st for grandson. Hope to build a glass rod later on. Only glass rod I have is a Fenwick 8 wt I use for steel head some. Best casting rod right now for me is 6wt Sage Launch.

Post 09 Jul 2010, 12:02 • #11 
Tom,
Tried to join, got the validation and tried to post but I don't see it

Here's the introduction I sent

Hello,

Been watching this deal for a while and figured I'd join ... Way back in 2002 i wrote a piece on fiberglass rods for SaltwaterFly Fishing. It was entitled "retro rod". Like to think it helped in some small way rekindle interest in glass ... I believe you can read a copy over at my site www.flyroddingthecoast.com

I own a fair number of glass rods for both sweet and salty waters. All are Winstons. 6'6" for 3wt, 8' for 4wt, 8' for 6wt, 9' for 8wt, 9' for 9wt, 9' for 10wt and yes a Winston Big Game glass 12wt too. Bought them mainly direct from Tom many moons ago, many are 3 piece and most are 2 tip ...

Ed Mitchell

Post 09 Jul 2010, 15:27 • #12 
Administrator
Ed,

It looks like you can post now. Yuku isn't the smoothest running software in the world. And it bumps more on weekends for some reason.

Glad that it is working now.

Tom

Post 09 Aug 2010, 15:11 • #13 
Hi , im thefishfighter and im beginner. Image

Post 09 Aug 2010, 17:49 • #14 
Administrator
Hi thefishfighter,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! We were all beginners at some time or another. Hopefully this forum can help get you rolling a little bit faster than you would on your own.

When you say you are a beginner, do you mean beginner to glass rods? or beginner to fly fishing?

Tom

Post 11 Aug 2010, 14:24 • #15 
both sir, beginner in glass rod and fly fishing.

thanks Tom~! Image

Last edited by thefishfighter on 11 Aug 2010, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Aug 2010, 15:09 • #16 
Emeritus
Welcome thefishfighter, enjoy your stay and tell us more about yourself.

Post 27 Sep 2010, 02:32 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Anyone else not able to post a NEW topic today? Yuku keeps throwing up a message saying my account is not allowed to post new messages.

Post 27 Sep 2010, 02:37 • #18 
Emeritus
Lugan123, are you still having problems?

Post 27 Sep 2010, 02:51 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, still not working, but only on the "What's New ... " sub-forum. I get this message from Yuku: "Sorry you do not have permission to post on a new topic"
"

Post 27 Sep 2010, 05:02 • #20 
Emeritus
Drop Tom a PM to let him know. As far as I can tell, no one else is having a problem. Probably another Yuku hick-up.

Post 28 Nov 2010, 17:50 • #21 
Greetings,

It is good to find a forum that shares my passion for fiber glass flyrods and flyfishing. I live in central IL where most of my flyfishing is for smallmouth and bluegill, but occassionally travel out side the area to trout fish in Iowa or Wisconsin. I look forward to the discussions on the forum.

Dan

Post 14 Dec 2010, 09:31 • #22 
Emeritus
Welcome to Fiberglass Flyrodders Rev Dan. If you have a passion for fiberglass, than this is the place. Tell us a little about yourself and feel free to ask questions and post photos.

Post 24 Jan 2011, 04:07 • #23 
Hello Everyone,
New here, picked up a fiberglass rod for the first time a month ago and it brought me a new perspective on fly fishing - - enjoyment! Don't personally own a glass rod as of now, but hope you all could help on the info side of things.

jasper0530

Post 24 Jan 2011, 08:15 • #24 
Administrator
jasper0530,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! Just ask the questions and we'll get you the info. Have you seen the Fiberglass Flyrodders Wiki yet? It may help.

Tom

Post 24 Feb 2011, 16:32 • #25 
Hi Everyone,

New here, I like fishing new Lamiglas glass and old Fenwick glass mostly for trout. I do however enjoy small mouths as well. I live in Iowa in the Cedar Rapids area and hope to find friends to compare notes and stories with.

Best,
Ben

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply