It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:29

Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Sep 2021, 11:46 • #501 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. A TFO 8wt is my primary salt rod, and most of the others are graphite as well. I wouldn’t worry about adding a glass rod to it unless and until you really want to.

Post 23 Oct 2021, 16:48 • #502 
Hi Folks,

I'm fishing two Echo glass rods at the moment, along with a couple other graphite pieces. One of my Echo rods is a 9' 6W, and the other is a 10'8" 4W Switch.

The owner of the company I work for was cleaning house at the shop, and had a bunch of older rods he was ready to throw in the bin. I was fortunate enough to save a Betts 26S, with a sliding reel seat. It's perfectly fishable, except for some missing decorative winding, right next to the connection. Other than that, it looks almost brand new! It's a wet noodle, but I'm going to try it out during the week. :lol
I also saved an old, warped Shakespeare cane rod that will make a nice wall-hanger. This rod was wrapped in a very old Hardy's fabric sock, but I couldn't find a date.

Thanks for the add, and I look forward to exploring the site.

Last edited by FlyFishMike on 23 Oct 2021, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Oct 2021, 17:28 • #503 
Hi there,
First off, thanks for adding me to the forum. I've been a visitor to this site for a while due to recommendations from another forum but I only registered this weekend so hello everyone. I'm in England and after learning to fly fish with carbon rods and using them for 10 years plus I have found myself favouring the relaxed action of glass and cane rods. I have an Epic 580 a bloke 7' #3 and a recently acquired Phillipson Paragon cane rod that I'm yet to cast amongst other rods. I'm looking forward to contributing to any threads that I can add something to and hope to mine the collective wealth of info that many here possess.

Kind regards,
Si

Post 09 Dec 2021, 21:53 • #504 
Guide
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I truly enjoy the website and love the spirit of helpfulness that is seen throughout the interaction.

I live in No. Illinois and enjoy wading for smallmouth in the Fox and DuPage rivers and never grow tired of finding subdivision retention ponds with bluegill & largemouth.

Have cycled through about a dozen plus classic and modern glass rods but have landed on mostly 2 piece Fenwicks in the 7' and 7' 6" lengths.

I have been learned a lot from everyone, thank you.

Post 22 Dec 2021, 12:31 • #505 
Glass Fanatic
Russell
I believe you just purchased a Shakespeare 7 footer from me- I hope you enjoy it with WF5 line. nice lngth and feel. luckily I have another one ;)
welcome to the forum!
Regards
Les Jackson

Post 25 Dec 2021, 12:16 • #506 
Sport
Merry Christmas, folks! Reckon I’ll do the obligatory member intro today as I finally have some free time. Also a nice way to welcome in a new year coming and all the surprises it may bring.

At this time, functionally glassless in Indiana for fishing purposes, but I might as well introduce myself anyway as this situation is going to change in the near future. Got some blanks and accumulating supplies where product stock is conducive to such endeavors. Lifelong angler, flytyer, and rodbuilder who fishes mostly warmwater species in local region. Been a while since I’ve last fished with a fiberglass flyrod, in fact the horizontal automatics were still kind of a thing back then and not at all unusual looking on a flyrod. First flycasts and catches were ‘gills with Grampa from a 12’ cartopper in a Northern Indiana lake amongst flooded willows in mid spring. I still remember my thoughts upon finally getting to witness what flyfishing was. Times have changed, but back in the 70’s there was never much flyfishing on TV (in Indiana) and we didn’t have films of anyone doing it so just exactly how this worked and what it looked like was a confounding mystery despite repeated explanations. Already a young fishin’ nut, yet clueless in this area of tackle. All started about like this when witnessing the demonstration on the water…

Oh, Wow! That’s like…really loud casting for fishing tackle, at least compared to the maroon Shakespeare spinning reels we use. I did not expect this (but then, it is an awfully fat line). And fast moving, too! Maybe even kinda dangerous depending on how good or bad you are at this. He can actually cast right out into and through all those brushy willow tops and hit that little opening out there. Miss a fish? Whip it back and put it right back on ‘em. Cannot believe what I’m seeing, but that awkwardly long rod works very nicely for arguing such a large ‘gill right back to the boat despite the odd method of hand-pulling the line in. LET ME TRY IT NOW!

Reads strange for a first experience, but that’s how it went as a lived revelation. I still remember the day and it’s the anticipatory energy, assumptions, and what my impression of flyfishing was at the moment I first witnessed it. From there it was what I suspect is the typical learning curve with messy tangles, willows snagged (fore & aft), and choice words of reprimand after the umpteenth whipcracked backcast & lost foam spider. But I did indeed catch some nice bluegill with some so big even the grown man instructing me had trouble fitting his hand around them.

Aside from the attributes of fiberglass and general glass rod actions grooving with my evolved preferences in tackle, it also seems kinda fitting I should gravitate back to such a material after so many years. This’ll be an interesting rodbuilding journey to embark on and will likely take some unusual turns. Everything I do does at some point even when it appears to come full circle in other ways.

Anyhow, the above is a bit about me and why I’m here. Nice place, BTW, I’ve read much here and looking forward to reading much more in both the forums and FM blog.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 22:58 • #507 
Guide
Hi Les,

Yes that was me have been enjoying lawn casting the FY920, and hope to spend more time with it on the water soon!

Post 23 Jan 2022, 16:58 • #508 
Good afternoon,

Very happy to be a part of the forum. Very excited to get into fly fishing. I have a few things that were my grandfathers and I will be getting a setup of my own soon. Already seeing great information.

-Tim

Post 30 Jan 2022, 09:35 • #509 
Master Guide
Crossroads19,
A belated welcome to the forum, I would enjoy more about your grandfathers gear. I love vintage fly fishing gear especially when it has family memories.

Post 03 Feb 2022, 23:53 • #510 
Looking forward to my Vintage glass journey! Glad to join the forum.

Post 04 Feb 2022, 08:43 • #511 
Master Guide
Welcome Chris, it is a fun journey. Hard in the wallet though lol.

Post 24 Feb 2022, 10:59 • #512 
Glass Fanatic
Hello my long time fishing pal Chris.
Good to see you here.

Many answers can be questioned here.
And vice versa.

Post 08 Apr 2022, 07:25 • #513 
New Member here,
As my user name indicates I'm located along the Schuylkill River.
In the early 1970s with money I earned from my newspaper route, I purchased a glass fly rod from Two Guys department store in Langhorne Pa. I also purchased a fly tying kit from Kline's Sporting Goods in the Bucks County Mall.
My father taught me alot about using spincasting gear but had no interest in fly fishing. Not having anyone to mentor me I taught myself to cast good enough to catch panfish.
Eventually I lost interest in fly fishing and except for a few of my self tied flys lost track of my modest assortment of fly fishing gear.
Flash forward 50 years. A few years before retirement my wife and I bought a 200 year old house within walking distance of the Schuylkill River. One day in a thrift shop, on a whim, I picked up an old glass rod for a couple bucks. The rod is an 8' Shakespeare model 809, manufactured in 1963. Then I picked up an Ocean City 35 reel. The reel is just a little lite balance wise but was very inexpensive, just fine for pan fish.
I started getting the urge to fly fish but quickly became overwhelmed with all the various line, leader, tippet terms and designations. So the rod sat for a year or two then a very good friend and avid fly fisher moved close by. We kept putting off getting together to get me set up correctly.
Over this past winter I learned all I could about types of line, line weights, leaders and tippets. Recently my friend and I finally got together and he gave me some casting lessons.
I'm really looking forward to catching my first 'gill on an ant I tied almost 50 years ago.
I'm looking to keep my fly fishing gear simple to the point of minimalist, making or repurposing the rest of my gear.
My main interests in fly fishing are to catch sunnys to use as flathead bait and to catch carp at a local pond. I'm also interested in learning about early 1800's fly fishing equipment and possibly reproducing some mostly because it would look nice on display in our old house.
I've also ordered a small tenkara rod so I can keep a rod in my hunting bag while on squirrel hunting trips.
Looking forward to learning more here on the forum!
SJ

Post 20 Apr 2022, 02:55 • #514 
Hi,

Thank you for accepting me on the forum.

I have built two fiberglass rods a 8'6 5Wt and a 7' 3Wt, love fishing them and want to learn more about glass rods.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 20:56 • #515 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome aboard colinstier, you've come to the right place to learn more about fiberglass.

Larry

Post 27 Sep 2022, 12:37 • #516 
I joined to learn more about fiberglass rods, and to make an educated/ budget oriented decision regarding my first rod and reel purchase. You can tell this place is a treasure trove of information, and members seem eager to share. I love the retro look and feel of fiberglass and don't think I need the latest and 'greatest' equipment to catch fish around here or when visiting my cousins in Montana.

Post 27 Sep 2022, 14:56 • #517 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, ClayJ!

Post 02 Feb 2023, 06:51 • #518 
Hi Folks and thank you for adding me to this great forum.
I´m based in the south of Finland and do most of my flyfishing in either the streams in central Finland or up north above the arctic circle. However, I like to combine my fishing with travel which often takes me to the streams in the Alps and by upcoming plans to Ireland, England and Scotland.

My glass rods are a Hardy´s 7´ #3 coupled with a Hardy´s Featherweight reel and my latest for the used market, a Hardy´s Fibalite Perfection 14' #10 with a Hardy Marquis Salmon #3 in mint condition

Post 02 Feb 2023, 15:25 • #519 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, kekkek! Those are fine rods and reels you have.

Post 02 Feb 2023, 19:15 • #520 
Master Guide
Welcome kekkek!

Post 21 Feb 2023, 22:21 • #521 
Sport
Hey, happy to be here. I'm based in northern NJ and do most of my fly fishing on vacation as it's tough to get away with a demanding day job and two young kids. I'm relatively newly into glass rods and picked up a Moonlit 2-weight, which has been fun to fish so far (and will very likely replace my Redington Classic Trout 2-weight in situations I'd have used that).

Otherwise, I fish a Hardy Shadow 5-weight and a Fenwick Aetos 8-weight.

I also do some ultralight spin fishing with St. Croix rods.

Post 20 Apr 2023, 13:10 • #522 
Hi Guys,
I enjoy building my fly rods (graphite and glass) and have read in this forum for quite a time. Hight quality content.

Post 12 Jun 2023, 08:44 • #523 
Hi folks! I recently got back into fly fishing after a long (15+ year) hiatus, and I'm excited to explore the world of glass rods. I initially bought a graphite Redington combo because I wanted to start out with some brand new gear, but I learned how to fly fish on a good ol' Eagle Claw Featherlight when I was growing up, and I'll probably buy another one soon because $40 is a small price to pay for a big hit of nostalgia.

My wife always keeps her eyes open for things related to my hobbies when garage saling, and she scored a very cool-looking South Bend Classic IV and an old Conolon Fanwing 411 for $10 each a few weeks ago. The South Bend is in great shape, but the Fanwing needs quite a bit of work. I've never rehabbed/refurbished a rod before, so I'll probably be asking some questions over the coming weeks and posting some photos as well, of course. :)

Post 14 Jun 2023, 08:40 • #524 
Piscator
A note for new members - updating your profile with your location gives us context about you and your home water.

It's a big world out there, and impossible to guess this simple information.

Post 01 Jul 2023, 14:44 • #525 
Greetings! New member! Fly fisher, tenkara fisher, ultralight fisher. Wanted to try fiberglass. Decided to start cheap... Bought a maxcatch ultraglass 3wt 7ft.. seems like a nice rod.. craftsmanship is really nice.. hope to fish it tomorrow...
Any feedback on this rod? I have several regular fly rods, as well as a few tenkara rods.
Wanted to go low price to see how it is...
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next New Topic Add Reply