It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:57

Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jul 2023, 11:59 • #526 
Guide
Welcome to the forum!
If you type "maxcatch ultraglass 3wt 7ft" into the search feature at the bottom of the page, you will be able to read plenty of input about that rod.

Post 04 Jul 2023, 13:52 • #527 
Thank you! Hmmm. I tried that, didn't work...

Post 18 Aug 2023, 13:52 • #528 
Hi everyone,

I’ve been fly fishing and tying since I was 13, 44 now. I’ve always gravitated towards the smaller streams, a day rock hopping and catching brook trout is about as good as it gets for me. I’d been using the same 7’ 3wt Redington from the start and never thought about changing it up. Very sentimental rod and there really hasn’t been a good reason to switch things up. There’d been times I wished it was just a bit shorter but other than that it’s been, and still is, an amazing little rod.

A friend of mine steered me towards glass rods at the beginning of last year and I started looking around at them. I decided if I was going to make the switch, I was going small. I was fortunate enough to find a Redington 1wt butterstick and have been fishing it all year. I’ve never had this much fun fishing a rod! One of the things that took me a while to realize was that it had forced me to fish slower because of the action, and that’s really made everything more enjoyable. Not to mention how an 8” fish can double this thing right over!

I do have an assortment of graphite rods and I do enjoy fishing them, especially my contact rod. Another technique I tried out last year and love. There are definitely places where the graphite rods shine. But every time I fish one of my graphite rods now, I just feel like I’m fishing fast. I’m sure that makes sense to all of you here.

I’ve also added to the glass collection with a Butterstick II 8’ 4wt and a couple Moonshine rods: A Revival (original series) 7’ 3wt and a Revival S 6’6” 2wt. I also have a Greywolf Nomad 5112 blank and hardware sitting on my bench to build and looking at grabbing up a couple more of different lengths and weights. I will happily admit I do enjoy collecting them also.

The glass bug has definitely bit me hard. They just seem to slow things down and hit the rewind button a bit and I’ve really enjoyed that about fishing them. And maybe part of it’s me and it’s more about the quality of time on the water than the fish count. Probably both.

Looking forward to learning more from this group!

Jesse

Post 18 Aug 2023, 20:43 • #529 
Master Guide
Welcome Jesse, you are already in deep, it sounds like. You will really enjoy it here.

Tim

Post 18 Aug 2023, 21:39 • #530 
Thanks Tim.

Yes I am. Not a bad thing to have an obsession over.

Post 19 Aug 2023, 17:35 • #531 
Guide
Welcome from the N.E.K of Vermont .
Glad to have another Vermonter here that enjoys fishing glass . Sounds like you got bit by the same bug I did about 4 1/2 years ago.

Post 20 Aug 2023, 11:42 • #532 
Hello all together
I am new here as a member, but have long read the posts with pleasure. I'm Swiss living in Switzerland and fishing for trout and grayling in the European Alps mostly above 1800 meters above sea level. I'm 73 and now and then I build a fiberglass or a splitcane fly rod. Pictures will follow soon.

Nik

Post 20 Aug 2023, 11:46 • #533 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Nik,

I look forward to pictures of your rods and Alps fishing.

Post 25 Aug 2023, 08:36 • #534 
Vtsalmon26 wrote:
Welcome from the N.E.K of Vermont .
Glad to have another Vermonter here that enjoys fishing glass . Sounds like you got bit by the same bug I did about 4 1/2 years ago.

There’s a couple of us down this way. Trying to convince another friend to pick one up and try it out.

Post 24 Oct 2023, 17:54 • #535 
Hello everyone, and a big general thank you to all who have posted on this forum. I’ve been able to get into fly fishing and vintage glass almost entirely through info posted here. I chase after small introduced and native trout in the Sierra Nevadas & bass in the foothill’s mudpits…. I mean reservoirs. Working on building my quiver of rods & enjoying learning all the history along the way.

Post 21 Nov 2023, 10:40 • #536 
Guide
Last visit was: 02/09/14 04:23 It is currently 11/21/23 15:36
Hey all, been a long time since I've posted and looked around, but good to see all is still going strong. I fish Salado and Cibolo creek around the San Antonio area.

-Mike

Post 21 Nov 2023, 15:21 • #537 
Guide
Welcome back, as a newer arrival to the site a few years ago.

Got excited when I heard Salado Creek, as I just returned from Salado, Texas...but, alas, it was another Salado down south by San Antonio. My Salado is up north, not too far, between Georgetown and Temple that has a beleaguered but still pretty creek as well.

Loved that hill country spring creek fishing back in the day, hope it recovers from the drought and pressure from the pumps to keep so many folks in water up and down the I-35 corridor.

Post 22 Nov 2023, 10:08 • #538 
Guide
Thanks Phil-a-Flex, I've fished that creek under the 35 bridge a few times (it's been a few years though), it's a beautiful little stream up there.

Post 01 Feb 2024, 18:05 • #539 
Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me to the forum! I own a 3wt Maxcatch and a 5wt Eagle Claw and as you could guess they are favorites among my small rod collection. Its been a total blast fishing these cheap but super fun sticks and I'm now starting to size up my graphite rod inventory for what glass rods i could cash them in for. I live in Los Angeles and mostly fish the local urban ponds, eastern sierras and a bit of surf fishing as well. I just received my first rod building kit (a 8' 4wt from Proof) and I'm very excited to get to work on it. I figured I better sign up here and sponge up the knowledge and hang around with some like minded glass freaks.

Here's a picture of my eagle claw bent over on a carp

Post 02 Feb 2024, 20:31 • #540 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, illking!

Post 21 Apr 2024, 14:25 • #541 
Hello to the board

Long time member and pretty much a daily browser. Due to multiple forums, I've never joined in here, but have valued and enjoyed for a lot of years. Recognize several members here from other shared places.. good people.

Over time my personal fishing esthetic has shifted.. I'm a life time admirer of 'Classic' anything.. high on the list is fishing tackle, firearms, vehicles, art, ephemera.. and all things associated.

Being a easy winter and early / low water spring we just might have some dry fly fishing for opening weekend, Saturday, 04-27 :-)

Post 22 Apr 2024, 13:02 • #542 
Guide
Good to see you here Shotgunner!

Post 24 Apr 2024, 06:19 • #543 
Thanks J. Hope things are great on the far north east Salt front..
B

Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 New Topic Add Reply