It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:42

Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jun 2018, 11:07 • #351 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, n4rod, and thank you for your service! You have a great history with fiberglass rods, and here's wishing you many more tight lines using them.

Post 11 Jun 2018, 11:13 • #352 
Glass Fanatic
it is my pleasure to welcome you here. enjoy!

Post 27 Jun 2018, 14:16 • #353 
Sport
Hello all! I have spent a great deal of time lurking on this site so I figured it was about time I joined and tried to contribute. Currently, I have a Cabelas CGR 2 weight that I have been having an absolute blast with! Just caught and released an 17 inch brown on that outfit...what a battle! I have a weakness for vintage items and have been really interested in the older Fenwick line of glass rods. Clearly this forum appreciates and values these rods highly! I have a 1495 Medalist on the way from ebay that I plan on using on a FF806 that I should be receiving soon as well. I plan to use this outfit on smallies here in my local river. I also plan to purchase another 1495 and a 8sh weight rod that I would like to use for Great lakes steel.

Then another and another...who knows where this will end or if it will?

Post 27 Jun 2018, 15:40 • #354 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Bjacks! Looks like you're already well along, and be advised that it's unlikely to end.

Post 02 Jul 2018, 22:21 • #355 
Guide
Thanks for letting me join, Paul, a Montana resident here who has been fishing fiberglass since 1961. I've built a couple, repaired a few and let a couple go that I wish I still had. I don't discriminate, I fish Boo, carbon & boron too and hope that I've progressed to a stage 4 flyfisher (stage 1-Any Fish, stage 2-A lot of fish, stage 3-Big Fish, stage 4-Any fish). My first rod was a Shakespeare Wonderrod (7 wt with a Shakespeare reel) that disappeared during college in the late '60s; my go to glass rod is one built from a 9'3" Claudio (made by Fisher) stick I picked up from Ferd Claudio's estate. After some micrometer work and comparison with known Claudio rods, it ended up being a 8 1/2 ft 5/6 wt that's worked well on the Madison and Henry's Fork.

Post 03 Jul 2018, 07:08 • #356 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, pgwulf!

Post 15 Jul 2018, 17:32 • #357 
Sport
Hey everyone. I'm a dedicated fly fisherman that gets as much enjoyment tying flies as I do fishing them. I'm always looking to get the most out of my equipment so I started building my own rods recently. I'm working on my second rod now which is a 4 wt TFO Finesse. 4 wt is my general all around size unless I'm fishing for something that requires more specialized gear. I love light tackle (=< 3 wt) unless it's not practical or if it's detrimental to the fish if I plan to release them. In my search/quest to find the perfect rod that's on the light side I've done a lot of reading on this site and others about fiberglass rods and now I'm thinking I should focus my efforts more on them since they're generally slower action and should protect the tippets better. As a result I ordered an Ameriglass 4 wt blank for my next build. Actually I got a little ambitious and also ordered a 1/2 wt 6' glass blank from Anglers Roost the next day too. I'm already using decent disc drag reels such as the Battenkill Disc and Lamson Litespeed which help me bring a surprising number of fish to hand better than the heavier gear I have, and I think my fishing skills are about average so I'm really looking forward to building and using a glass rod since I'm convinced it'll work best for the kind of fishing I do most often which is stillwater (warm water and cold), and rivers and streams in SW Montana and NW Wyoming. I do a lot of bream fishing in local reservoirs and the lighter rods work really well due to their sensitivity, and they protect tippets really well when the occasional Bass gets on the other end. Just my opinion from what I've read thus far but I think the same light setup would do even better with a glass rod.

Anyway, I'm very glad to be a forum member and look forward to talking to everyone about fishing with glass, glass rod building, and fly tying. Thanks for having me on board.

Gene

Post 15 Jul 2018, 18:04 • #358 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, ejcrist! Looks like you're well on down the slippery slope. That Ameriglass 4wt will be very good indeed. Do let us know how that and your other projects progress -- and fish.

Post 16 Jul 2018, 00:43 • #359 
Master Guide
`Welcome to this forum Gene

Gr. Nico

Post 30 Jul 2018, 15:38 • #360 
Well, I have an Echo 6'3" 2wt on the way thanks to this forum. Got back into fishing earlier this year and discovered small streams and brookie fishing. I've been having a great time getting into the woods in search for these amazing fish.

I hadn't fished for almost 15 years and earlier this year decided I really wanted to pick up a rod again. I can't believe I waited so long. I got my start all those years ago at fishing popular places with easy roadside access and never really progressed beyond that. Now that I'm a bit older I'm more interested in getting off the beaten path and up for a challenge of finding some hidden spots. Luckily the Catskills have plenty of opportunity for this.

Earlier this spring I picked up a new rod, a Sage Circa, in 7'9" 3wt. That thing has been a blast to fish with but I was curious to try something shorter and softer. In doing research on small stream rods I also saw mention of glass. So after reading a bunch here I ordered that little Echo. Can't wait to give it a shot this weekend.

I'm still learning a bunch and look forward to poking around here.

Post 30 Jul 2018, 15:42 • #361 
Master Guide
Welcome, ironsight.

Post 30 Jul 2018, 16:44 • #362 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, ironsightimages! Enjoy fishing for brook trout and others with your 2wt.

Post 31 Jul 2018, 07:23 • #363 
Glass Fanatic
Greetings.

Post 03 Aug 2018, 04:36 • #364 
Sport
Hi all, and greetings from New Zealand. I am a recent convert to glass rods - although been fly fishing now for 25 years. Decided to challenge myself by building a rod a few years back when I saw a ready to wrap kit for sale from Swift Fly Fishing - didn't mean much to me that it was glass. Since then though I can't stop building them!

I fish 95% of the time for trout, although my biggest fish on a flyrod was a 15lbs Bonefish caught in 2017 - on a glass rod I built (Epic 888).

Post 03 Aug 2018, 05:40 • #365 
Master Guide
Welcome, Damon!

Post 03 Aug 2018, 07:43 • #366 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Damon! That bonefish must have been something, even on an 8wt.

"Can't stop" -- fiberglass does that to you!

Post 29 Aug 2018, 16:35 • #367 
Hello everyone. Was an avid fly fisherman throughout the 80's and 90's. Went after everything from Bluegill to Sailfish. Then I walked away from it all about fifteen years ago. I don't really know why I lost interest in it. Anyway, now that I'm retired after forty one years in the merchant marines, I'm hoping this forum will help motivate me to enjoy fly fishing again.
Some of my fondest memories was casting and catching those wonderful rainbows on the Deschutes River in the early 80's with a Winston fiberglass kit rod that I built up, a 7 1/2' 5 wt. Around 1984 or so I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Winston 7 1/2' 3 wt., it became my favorite Bluegill rod. I think it was in 1987 or 1988 that I noticed the glass rods were not listed in their catalog. I called up Winston to see if they had any hidden in some little corner of their shop. The gentleman on the phone said he would take a look, a few minutes later he comes back and tells me the only glass rod that they had left was a 7 1/2' 5 wt. and would I be interested. Money order went out to "Twin Bridges" thirty minutes later!
Those glass rods sure were sweet to fish with. Geez, I need to get those rods out and start practicing again. 11 o'clock, 1 o'clock, 11 o'clock, 1 o'clock, Right?

Post 29 Aug 2018, 17:03 • #368 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, 3 AE! Congratulations on your retirement after an important and demanding career. Glad you're back to fly fishing with glass. 11:00 to 13:00 will do nicely, or 10:00 - 14:00, as some do.

Post 05 Nov 2018, 18:57 • #369 
Good morning everyone,
I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join. I started fly fishing seven years ago and got intrigued by fiberglass rods because for some reason I've always liked looking for something I really like instead of just taking what is mass marketed to the public. Long story short, last spring I built a new rod out of a Lamiglas blank and I absolutely love it, it just slows down the whole rhythm of fishing which is really neat. Now I have another rod ready to be built so next winter's going to be pretty busy!

Post 05 Nov 2018, 21:22 • #370 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Coridon! Looks like you're off to a great start down the slippery slope. Enjoy both that Lamiglas and the upcoming build.

Post 22 Jan 2019, 17:03 • #371 
Sport
Hi.
Thanks for letting me in, though i'm more interested in fiberglass rods than i'm into fly fishing.

//Markus

Post 31 Jan 2019, 12:53 • #372 
Sport
Hi! Thanks for letting me join the forum. I´m a 23 year old law student from Germany. I mostly fish together with my father. The time that we spend together in the nature and on the water is very valuable to us.
Last year we decided to build a small webshop for flyfishing stuff that we select very carefully.
My father has been fishing with glass for many years but for me its a fairly new thing.
Last year I picked up one of my fathers glass rods and it just felt amazing. The casting felt really nice and I noticed that I lost less fish. Now I´m hooked on glass as well.
I hope to get to know many cool people in this forum.

Max

Post 31 Jan 2019, 13:46 • #373 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome!

Post 31 Jan 2019, 15:30 • #374 
Guide
I am fairly new to the forum and fiberglass as well. I am an American lawyer less new to the legal world than you -- by about four decades. Good luck with law studies and the fishing!

Post 06 Feb 2019, 10:33 • #375 
Hello all, my name is Caleb and I am currently a graduate student studying chemistry in Virginia. Fairly new to fiberglass rods but am quickly falling in love. I love fishing for brookies and smallmouth.

Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply