It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:51

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Nov 2013, 16:01 • #176 
Hi, I'm from NJ and recently returned to fly fishing & fishing in general. We are talking 30 years so I am really behind the times in tech stuff. I have a Browning Silaflex 8'6" rod model 922985, 3.5 ozs. with 6 or 7 weight line. I don't remember or how to tell 6 from 7. I have a Pflueger Sal-Trout model 1554.

My initial problem is I want another outfit for saltwater or even a smaller one for lighter fish. I looked at the Orvis combos and read reviews and it seems that I would be better off going separates on my own, say with a Redington rod and reel.

Post 12 Nov 2013, 20:31 • #177 
Glass Fanatic
welcome to the forum. we espouse fiberglass, as the name implies, and you will find plenty of good info here on both vintage and new fiberglass rods. in fact, whether you fish, fiberglass, bamboo, or graphite, you're sure to find lots of good info, good people. By the way I have a couple of the 70s era Browning Silaflex rods and really like them. Yours is from the 70s also and while I don't own that model, it is a nice rod. enjoy!

Post 22 Nov 2013, 22:08 • #178 
hi,
new to the forum and to fly fishing. I'm finding it takes alot of knowledge, alot of skill and alot of luck. I have a question, I saved, I think, a post I was working on, as a draft, and now I can't find it. Where do I look?

This forum is a good place ...

wingnut

Post 27 Nov 2013, 11:59 • #179 
Guide
Hello from Scotland

I am a newbie here, ive have fished all my life but got into fly fishy 7-8 years back and now i fly fish for any thing that swim's! I like the more relaxed / progressive action of the Vision fly rods.

I bought a 5' 9" 3/4# Vision Cult fiber its my first taste of glass type rods and i adore it!

I fish wee rivers but also spend allot of time float tubing for wild brown trout, i love a rod that "bends" well and really has "feel" unlike the current fashionable stiff lifeless fast action modern rods!

I started tying flies within weeks of taking up fly fishing, and i have always fancied building myself a fly rod, i i have decided it might as well be glass. ...

Regards Stephen

Post 02 Dec 2013, 20:36 • #180 
Hi everyone, newbie here. New in fly fishing and fiberglass fly rod. :)

Post 06 Dec 2013, 15:05 • #181 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. C'mon in the water's fine :-)

Post 21 Dec 2013, 20:10 • #182 
I am new to the forum, live in the interior Northwest and typically fish British Columbia, Washington , Idaho and western Montana. My first fly rod was a fiberglass JC Higgins when I was in my early teens. I am now a senior citizen and own several rods of different types including a few old Fenwick Feralites, Shakespeare Wonderglass, Lamiglas honey glass and the old JC Higgins. But my most interesting glass rod was purchased about a decade ago on eBay .

The blank was made by the seller/builder. Nobody bid at the starting price of $39 for the 9 ft. 5 wt. I called the builder and he said it would mend and roll cast nicely. I put in the only bid. When the rod arrived it was purple, small grip, very small single foot guides, tip heavy, slow as molasses. I was dubious. But when I got around to trying it it did roll cast and mend well. And it was easy to cast. Dry flies landed as soft as down. And it seems I hook more fish and land more fish than I do with quick action carbon rods. So now I use this rod a lot on medium size moving water. I am guessing I still have a lot to learn.

Post 21 Dec 2013, 21:51 • #183 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Goat River. That is a cool story. Sounds like you have a rod with some mojo. A purple one. If you can post pictures, I'd love to see pictures of it.

Post 28 Dec 2013, 23:33 • #184 
Master Guide
Great membership. I'm glad to see our ranks growing with such vitality.

Post 29 Dec 2013, 13:31 • #185 
Sport
Hi

I've been enjoying the forum for awhile and thought I'd get involved. I'm South African but had the privilege of living in Boise and Sacramento back in the 90's and more recently spending 5 years in the UK and Ireland before heading back home. I use lure gear and fly for all species, cold-, warm- and saltwater. Living on the east coast of SA I'm fortunate to have a great variety of habitats and species to chase - trout to tropics. We don't have fantastic fishing but we do have a huge variety in a relatively small area and species to chase year-round.

My glass cred is currently limited to the fact that I once owned a glass fly rod! It was my first, a glass Fenwick 9' 9wt with a Medalist 1498 - during the early 80's I got a lot of bass on deerhair bugs with it. Hopefully I'll be bending an EPIC 686 soon.

Regards

Rolfe

Post 29 Dec 2013, 16:58 • #186 
Piscator
welcome Rolfe - we're looking forward to photos of of your home water.

Post 09 Jan 2014, 22:34 • #187 
Sorry I'm new, which forum could answer these questions? I have a Wright and McGill Dandy marked only 8A -
8 1/2. Got it in 1961 when I was 12 and I fished for rainbows for a couple of summers and it's been in a tube ever since.
A. Does the fiberglass age well, ok to use now? and
B. No weight or line size is given. Were these the same in all Dandys of that length, and how do I know what size reel and weight line to buy? Thanks!

Post 09 Jan 2014, 22:40 • #188 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum! Most discussion about older rods occurs in the Collection section.

A) Yes, fiberglass ages well. Unless your rod is visibly deteriorating, it should be good to go.

B) The line size will depend on your casting style. Take the rod to a local fly shop and ask to try a couple of fly lines on your rod. I would recommend 6 weight and 7 weight lines. Don't let them talk you into buying a new rod instead - yours is just fine.

Tom

Post 11 Jan 2014, 22:52 • #189 
Sport
Hey everyone,
I started fly fishing when I was a kid and I fly fished on and off throughout my high school years. After graduating high school I started college and got married and finding time to fly fish was difficult. Now I am 25 and have picked the sport up again and thanks to The Fiberglass Manifesto, lurking around on this site, and my Eagleclaw Featherlights I have found much joy in fishing fiberglass.

Post 15 Jan 2014, 23:43 • #190 
Great forum!
Been a lurker for quite awhile, and have learned a ton about the rods that I always felt like I "outgrew" (but still loved). The gaudy Wonderods seem to find their way into my hands the most often, when it comes to medium to smaller sized waters. I do enjoy the Feralites and a few other blue collars out there as well-

Post 12 Feb 2014, 17:43 • #191 
I've been admiring from the outside for a while. Guess my glass obsession is official now. I started fly fishing after dusting off my dad's old glass rod, now I'm building my own. Too much info here to pass up.

Post 14 Feb 2014, 19:01 • #192 
Hi Everyone:

I am pleased to see glass fly rods are alive and well. I was at a glass rod show in the Catskills this past year and was over-whelmed with the rods there. I currently live and fish in the Rochester New York area and did the same in Az and Oregon. I have fished in NC, Mt, Wy, Id and Pa. I own graphite, bamboo and glass rods. I am 66 yrs old, a Viet Nam vet and so love this sport and the people who enjoy it as much as I do. I fish mostly on small streams, love the Catskills, the traditions, scenery and my fly fishing friends.

I was gifted a Winston glass rod that reads 7ft 2/3. 1 3/4 oz. I don't know much about it and would appreciate any info someone might have on it. Can't wait to fish it this spring. Does it fish (cast) best with a 2 or 3? Dt or Wf?

Thank you.

Post 14 Feb 2014, 19:15 • #193 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. That's a nice intro even without the last paragraph. I'd suggest you copy and paste that part and make a new post in the Fishing or Collecting section. Photos will make it even better. You can find out a lot about Winston rods here. (I was gifted a Winston glass rod that reads 7ft 2/3. 1 3/4 oz. I don't know much about it and would appreciate any info someone might have on it. Can't wait to fish it this spring. Does it fish (cast) best with a 2 or 3? Dt or Wf? Thank you). In the Collecting section, take a look at the late 1970s Winston catalog in "Rod Papers"

Post 14 Feb 2014, 20:31 • #194 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Dunn Deal! I enjoyed your post especially so because I have fished the Catskill region for 30 years and still do. You will really dig this forum. Welcome.

Post 14 Feb 2014, 20:49 • #195 
I love it there. I stay at Fishes Eddy when there. Fish the East Branch, Willow, Beaverkill and Read creek. Frank Kuttner, one of my favorite human beings. Will be there for the two header trout dinner April 5th

Post 14 Feb 2014, 22:22 • #196 
Glass Fanatic
Used to stay at The Antrim -- that was many moons ago when Doug Bury owned it. Nowadays I stay in Horton or up in Shinhopple or Harvard on the E Branch. God's country for sure.

Post 16 Feb 2014, 01:05 • #197 
Sport
Hi just joined in on the forum,I'm from Perth Western Australia like kalgrm.i have a
Epic 580 built up for saltwater and even thought I haven't caught anything worth
mentioning I love it. Just hit the button on a 376 epic for lighter stuff in salt and fresh.
Looking to read and add in further conversations on this site,51 and fly fishing for 9 yrs now just discovering glass and enjoying more than fast graphite.
Peter.

Post 16 Feb 2014, 12:08 • #198 
Inactive
I've been lurking about on and off for a while. I grew up on Shakespeares and then I put fishing aside for too many years. Back on the fly about 7 years ago and I'm trying to make up for lost time. I have some modern Gr@%#!te rods that I enjoy fishing, but I have my old original rod that's getting restored next week and my grandfather's that I fish.

Just bought the new Echo Glass 6'9" 3wt. and it is fun so far. Also jumped into acquiring vintage reels for my two old rods.
Well, you know where that went. 14 reels and three rods later ... If I've pissed off some guys on Ebay in the last week, my apologies. I'm not breaking the bank, so I left the really nice stuff for the rest of ya'.
Anyhow, I mined some great info while trolling, thought I should join and contribute/inquire as need be. I'll throw up some posts as I get some set ups complete.

Trout fish small streams and tail waters mainly in SW VA. Get into WV and E TN, also. Will chuck for sunfish, bass of all types and carp.
Looking to venture west more.

Wonderod unknown model - 8', 6/7 wt., late 60's/early 70's (getting restored)
Wonderod FY-A12 - 8'6", 9 wt.
Wonderod Purist FY-A220 - 7'9", 6 wt. Trout Taper
W & M Featherlight MLWFF7 - 7', 5/6 wt., new
Cortland GRF1000 XP - 7'6', 5/6 wt., new
Heddon Lifetime Pal 8247 - 8'6", 6/7 wt., new

Post 05 Mar 2014, 22:38 • #199 
Hello all, I've been checking out this site for about a month and I've seen a resurgence in Fiberglass fly rods in the past year or so.
I started fly fishing with a Fenwick rod that my father made for me for my 16th birthday back in the late 70's, and I have yearning to go back to where I started fly fishing. I joined because I want to learn more about modern fiberglass rods as well and get back to my roots.

I'm in the market for a New fly rod, and I'm thinking of a taking the plunge and getting a higher end
fiberglass rod perhaps a Zeitlos rod.

I live in northern Virginia near Washington DC now , but started fishing in my early teens in Vermont for trout and smallmouth
Steve

Post 05 Mar 2014, 23:43 • #200 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. Post a picture of that vintage Fenwick if you can. What kind of fishing do you do?

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply