It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:14

New Topic Add Reply
First Colorado Trip
Post 13 Sep 2020, 12:05 • #1 
Master Guide
Heading to Colorado for the first time next week for a 3-leg trip. First, Vail 17-19th, then Buena Vista, 20 & 21nd, then Estes Park, 22-25th. Wondering if the high country creeks and alpine lakes will still be fishing well or if that season is past. Monitoring the fires and low, warm water conditions as possible from afar. Any intel or advice welcome.

Will be traveling with several glass rods, Barclay 68 3wt & 70p, Leland Sierra Nevada 6-piece, 4 weight, and Epic 686.

Thanks for any pointers, must-see venues, food recommendations or must-drink beers.

Re: First Colorado Trip
Post 14 Sep 2020, 12:35 • #2 
Guide
In addition to the fires, you may also want to check out the snow conditions. Some areas (RMNP) got up to 18" last week, so there may be a good bit of snow on the ground up high.

I can't help you much on fishing around Vail as I've only stayed in the Village before heading to higher ground. All of my time around BV and Leadville has been backpacking but I can help you in BV if you are willing to put in a few miles on the trail. If you are staying in BV, there was a great little restaurant in the back of the Trailhead shop and an excellent pizza joint/microbrewery (Eddyline) we always hit when we come out of the high country.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Estes and I've hiked, backpacked and fished all over RMNP. Other than the snow they received last week, the biggest issue is the timed entry permits for the park. If you have your permits and tell me what you want to catch, I can point you in the right direction. For Estes itself, if you need equipment/supplies, I recommend Kirk's. For food, I've been known to eat at Poppy's Pizza 2-3 times in one week. :lol Also, I recommend a trip to The Stanley Hotel (for dinner or a tour). I spent a few nights there a couple of years ago when I was running a half-marathon in Estes and I loved it...and I could walk to Poppy's.

Chris

Post 14 Sep 2020, 13:07 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks WVb. PM sent

Post 15 Sep 2020, 20:20 • #4 
Master Guide
I got back to Georgia from a Colorado road trip 10 days ago. The alpine lake fishing around Leadville was excellent about a month ago, but conditions have changed quite a bit since then. Make sure you have some red Amy’s Ants, just in case.

Trouts fly shop in Denver has some fishing forecast videos online that may be helpful for you. They actually just posted a new forecast video today.

Now for the other important part of your question - Beer. Anything I had from the Outer Range brewery was top notch. The Odell IPA is always my staple beer while visiting Colorado, and the Odell Pulp Theory is a really good hazy IPA.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 21:34 • #5 
Master Guide
Love the Odell IPA!

New Topic Add Reply