It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Aug 2020, 10:10 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just noticed that,
the most recent post in any thread only shows the "Report" link at the footer/base of the post,
and omits the "Quote" link.

FYI...

Post 28 Aug 2020, 10:25 • #2 
Piscator
I think they did that on purpose to prevent clutter on the forum when replying to posts in series.
The one place I think it's needed is when the reply post moves to the next page.

Post 28 Aug 2020, 10:31 • #3 
I see Report when using Chrome, Quote when using Edge & Quote when using Firefox.

Post 28 Aug 2020, 10:33 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
I think they did that on purpose to prevent clutter on the forum when replying to posts in series.

If replying to one aspect of a really long post,
even if directly above,
I'd like to have the automated "Quote" function available.

(you can still do it manually, but it's several more steps...)

Post 29 Aug 2020, 01:22 • #5 
Administrator
As Ron noted, we are trying to clean up some of the over quoting and multiple replies. Much of that is new users. Some is users treating the forum like it was text messaging. The forum turns into a mess for users reading on a mobile device. In the same vein, you may have noticed full sized images contained in quotes are reduced to thumbnails.

There is also the aspect of bandwidth. A mobile user has to wait for the text, headers, avatars, images, and the like to download. Phones don't move data as quickly and often every gigabyte costs money. Unlimited plans slow down when bandwidth limits are exceeded. We want the forum to work well for mobile devices as well as desktop computers. More than 50% of the forum views are with a mobile device.

For those that have not seen them before, here are the quoting guidelines:
  • Too often users quote an entire long post, even though they only reply to a small portion. It is courteous to delete the extraneous portions of the quote.
  • Quoting the last post usually isn't necessary.
  • If a user was the last to post in a thread, edit that last post rather than making a new post.

Tom

Post 29 Aug 2020, 07:38 • #6 
Piscator
it made it tough on my They're Blue thread, because I wanted an OP and come back with a second post to give the long essay a break.
But had to add second post as an edit to the OP - it's there, it all reads, but bring popcorn.

New Topic Add Reply