It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:26

New Topic Add Reply
Posting Pics With PMs
Post 01 Aug 2020, 22:00 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Finally figured how to post pics on the board, but when someone asked me to PM pics I don't see how to do it.

Don't see an Image Upload Box on the PM system. What am I missing?

Thanks--Barry

Post 02 Aug 2020, 01:08 • #2 
Administrator
You are missing nothing. The FFR image hosting is only economical when photos are posted for all to see. Someone has to pay for the disk space. Further disk space is required to keep backups. PMs are copied to emails (depending on your settings) and the images would not render in an email. (This is to prevent FFR - your - images leaving FFR.)

FFR is primarily a forum, and not a messaging system, or photo hosting system.

I would respectfully suggest that you attach images to emails for personal communication.

Post 02 Aug 2020, 01:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Try to do all transactions over PM because less chance of losing messages. Also, many folks don't supply emails, but 'tis what 'tis.

Thanks--Barry

Post 02 Aug 2020, 02:13 • #4 
Administrator
A transaction is a transaction and FFR wants no part of that. However, photos are more of an advertisement and FFR does provide a classified section. FFR is not here for people to buy and sell purely on a 1:1 basis. FFR simply puts people in touch with one another. FFR is not anyone's filing or storage system, and should not be relied on for that.

FFR is a discussion forum.

Post 02 Aug 2020, 13:55 • #5 
Piscator
I noticed if you have the photo already posted in a thread, copying that link, e.g., by quoting your post, can be pasted in a pm and will also show the same.

If course you can always use Imgur and their BB board link to post a photo in a pm.

Post 02 Aug 2020, 14:50 • #6 
Administrator
With regards to photos, I'm most concerned about photos posted to the permanent forums. I don't want to be in a position where old, unviewable photos are clogging up our server space. For Sale posts delete after 1 month, but those photos remain in the server. We are stuck with those. However, photos in PMs are never seen by the forum community. I would rather not add them to the server load.

For what it is worth, PMs probably shouldn't be used as 'records' in the long run. While we will do our best to keep this place running, server issues happen. For important communications, you should have a copy on your own system. I think it would best to send additional photos by email. That way you don't have to deal with anything more than your own email system. As always, keep an archive of your photo files.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply