It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:17

New Topic Add Reply
Boot foot waders
Post 15 Jul 2020, 14:13 • #1 
Guide
I started with boot foots many years ago,then went to stocking
foot neoprenes,then stocking foot breathables.
I did like the lack of drag that you get with neoprenes in a strong current, and I liked the light weight of the breathable waders.I never liked using wading
shoes with the neoprene booties and gravel guards.
But the main thing is I have a hell of a time trying to get out of neoprene waders .
Watching me take them off,after a couple of hours
of wading when their wet ,would make a good video.
I went back to felt sole boot foot waders and after
fishing,I can just kick them off .
I just ain't as flexible as I used to be.
Back in boots and love them.

Re: Boot foot waders
Post 15 Jul 2020, 16:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Marathon ankle fit waders were the best boot foot waders I ever had. With their narrower leg from the thigh down, they were a little tougher in and out than other boot foot waders, but they were an ideal compromise, still fairly sleek in current.

Post 16 Jul 2020, 05:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Regardless of what you wear, I have found one of these (and I mean this particular one) indispensable in my wader bag.

And it's made of fiberglass... ;)

Besides the obvious, I noticed the heel separating from the sole on a pair of Chotas, I assume from using the toe of one shoe to push off the other shoe. I also ripped off the little "boot removing bump" on the back of a pair of Muck Boots the same way.

No more, a boot jack REALLY makes getting any wader boot off a LOT easier and without damage.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 05:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve always liked bootfoot waders. Easy on, easy off. For surf fishing, they are practically a necessity due to sand always making it into the boot of stocking foot waders.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 08:06 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Bootfoot yes, ankle fit no.
What Gaddis said about sand is just as true of Ozark gravel, except the chert gravel is sharp. I don't know how guys get into those body stocking things and stay in them all day, I want big and baggy so I can get in and out quickly, and so my coat or vest will be inside the waders to keep it dry. If only wading ankle deep like I see in pics and video farm boots is all one needs.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 10:22 • #6 
Master Guide
Trev wrote:
I want big and baggy so I can get in and out quickly, and so my coat or vest will be inside the waders to keep it dry.

Excellent point.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 17:17 • #7 
Guide
Definitely prefer boot foots from a comfort and ease standpoint, but the reality of fly fishing in the West is that sometimes you’ve got to hike a bit over difficult terrain; modern wading boots definitely have the advantage there.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 17:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
If I hiked in any kind of waders it would be over before we got to the water, I soak a set of clothes in a ten minute walk without the added layers.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 15:46 • #9 
Sport
My Caddis insulated boot foot waders are roasty toasty while steelhead fishing in sub zero weather. Easy on and off but less ankle support, more drag in the current, and not fun to hike in. That's why I have both boot foot and stocking foot waders.

New Topic Add Reply