It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Jun 2020, 14:16 • #1 
Master Guide
Hello,
Knowing that many of us are on both the cane and glass forums, I'm seeing who else hasn't been able to log in since the software update. Nobody responded to a couple of messages to the admins and I've tried resetting the password, but the temporary one sent doesn't work either; just get the message that the username is not recognized, despite it clearly being in the system.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 14:56 • #2 
Administrator
A username may not be recognized for several reasons, yet still be "on the system". If your username there is also "Shrimpman", then they truly have troubles. However, it may contain some unusual character, which may even simply be a space.

Wait! I know what the problem will likely be. Prior to the "upgrade", it was using a non-standard form of "authentication". This will have been completely "blown up", when it was migrated. Yes, some will be able to log-in okay and others will not. This will depend on both their username and whether they have ever changed their password over the years.

To be honest, I am not too sure how they will be able to fix this. I know that I could manually get your account back in operation, in a situation like this, by directly editing the database and setting you a temporary password.

It could be that this affects all people who have never changed their temporary password since the forum was migrated from yuku AND there is something unusual about their username? Now, if this is the situation, then a skilled person could find and fix the broken accounts.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 18:13 • #3 
Guide
I have just logged onto the Classic Fly Rod Forum's site. Have not been on CFRF for a while & have now noticed that the, outward look, the format (for lack of a better word) has changed.

At firsts I was afraid that I would not be able to get on CFRF, as I've had difficulties in the past with getting onto here, on FFR. (Kindly assistance from Cameron fixed my problem, so I'm now active here.)

I checked my "user/pass" logbook to see what my user name was for CFRF & what was my current password. When I clicked on the log-in, the correct user/pass popped up.
This new form of CFRF remembered me.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 19:29 • #4 
Master Guide
My nom de plume is Shrimpman over there, too, but the "username" is simply my email address. Regardless of technical glitches, I've no idea why there's no response from direct emails to the admin. Add to that getting PMs from board members who I can't respond too. Ha!
Thanks for chiming in!
Kean

Post 29 Jun 2020, 00:03 • #5 
Administrator
Is anyone else seeing this?

Tom

Post 29 Jun 2020, 01:56 • #6 
Administrator
Shrimpman wrote:
.. the "username" is simply my email address...

I'm probably stating the obvious, but have you tried logging in as simply «Shrimpman»? (logging-in by email address is non-standard)

Post 29 Jun 2020, 04:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, I have been trying to log in over there for more than a week. Thank you Shrimpman for bringing this up, and thank you Admin for resolving the issue. The nom de plume works! I am getting too old to deal with all these computer quirks.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 12:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Just logged in; no problems.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 21:35 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have been off and on the CFRF without issue. Their "upgrade" has had a few glitches but most are remedied I think.

Post 30 Jun 2020, 19:59 • #10 
Master Guide
Thank for the tips- I got on. Why my "username" was changed without notice from the one I had to my screen name I know not.

Post 30 Jun 2020, 21:46 • #11 
Administrator
Like Admin said, the old way was non-standard. Apparently that broke with the update and you got 'fixed'.

Tom

Post 30 Jun 2020, 23:53 • #12 
Administrator
Your username was never changed. The ability to login with your email address as well as your username was never added to the new incarnation of the software, and I would argue that this is more secure.

Post 01 Jul 2020, 20:10 • #13 
Guide
Was just there works just fine.

New Topic Add Reply