It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:55

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Vest?
Post 21 Jun 2020, 12:25 • #1 
Guide
After several years of trying chest packs ,fannypacks,lanyards and other assorted devices
for tackle totes, I've gone back to my vest.
I just like them better.
Anyone else ?

Re: Vest?
Post 21 Jun 2020, 13:11 • #2 
Guide
I just wear a vest too. Rucksack if needing to carry a rod tube/camping stuff.

Post 21 Jun 2020, 21:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you for coming back to the bright side. For trout fishing, a vest is still the best choice in my book.

Post 21 Jun 2020, 22:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Vest, since 1975, iirc, I found it held more than a three tray tackle box and was easier to carry.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 00:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I went back to a vest a couple of years ago. Just the easiest method for me.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 06:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Gave up the vest back in the late 1980's before there was all of these fancy replacements and I have never looked back.

The cool thing is my nephew is still using the last vest I purchased, a top of the line (at the time) Columbia I bought in Roscoe one weekend. Great vest with Gore-Tex on the shoulders and more pockets than any vest available, all of which I felt compelled to fill which is one of the reasons I was happy to give it up.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 08:14 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Haven't worn a traditional vest in thirty years and won't go back to one. I couldn't stand that weight on my shoulders. That and they were always hot. I don't know how you guys can be comfortable in them.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 08:43 • #8 
Guide
I gave up the vest about 12 years ago, or so. I just use a lanyard no and a few boxes of flies in my shirt pocket. As most vest wearers they was always to much stuff in mine. Fly boxes with flies for the wrong part of the year along with "extra" needed items that were never used. In that time I may have wished a few times I had another pocket for something but it deter me from fishing.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 09:27 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies wrote:
Haven't worn a traditional vest in thirty years and won't go back to one. I couldn't stand that weight on my shoulders. That and they were always hot. I don't know how you guys can be comfortable in them.

I dunno, the weight never bothered me. Mine is pretty well loaded too. As far as being too hot - in my world, if it’s too hot to wear a vest, it’s too hot for trout fishing. I fish for trout primarily in the spring. I’ll use non-vest tackle carriers for other types of fishing. But for trout, I want a few examples of every trout fly I own with me at all times. A vest gives me both the room and the organization factor. Plus a place to hang my net, and rain gear when I need it.

Post 22 Jun 2020, 09:31 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If I wasn't going to carry it all I'd throw it all away and just carry a spare fly in my hat band, there are days when I do just tie on a fly at the car and quit when/if it gets worn out or hung up. No point in carrying a box in the shirt pocket, if I already know what I'll be using and if I don't know yet, then choosing the right box would be unlikely.
Any tackle I don't need occasionally each outing is something I don't need at all; some gadgets do end up on the tying table for years before getting thrown out.
Any fly that is specific to a time of year is useless to me and I'd give it away or more likely throw it away, so that has never been a problem.
The only thing other than a vest that keeps me from leaving essential things behind or loosing them is a ruck sack (or a 5 gallon bucket) but then every thing is jumbled in the big pocket.
I admire all you who are organized enough to keep up with stuff running loose and smart enough to pick out the items needed in advance of seeing the water. I don't know how you can do it without a vest or a 5 gallon bucket.

>what Gaddis said about weight and heat

Post 22 Jun 2020, 12:12 • #11 
Piscator
Vests have a way of becoming 35-lb filing cabinets (mine's actually on a hanger on a pegboard being used as a filing cabinet)
Bag - different ones staged for coldwater and warmwater.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 17:07 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I like a mesh vest for trout fishing. It just works better for carrying a net and keeping gear higher and drier.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 18:11 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
bassackwards wrote:
I like a mesh vest for trout fishing. It just works better for carrying a net and keeping gear higher and drier.

That's an nteresting point of view...

I routinely see guys wading deep with vests and the bottom pockets are completely under water so unless those pocket are empty, stuff is getting wet, even if just from wicking.

When I wore a vest, the bottom pockets were close to my waist and about the only option I had when wading deep was to hang the vest from the top of my head which was uncomfortable and you ran the risk of it falling off.

Ever since I gave up the vest eons ago, I have been storing my gear in pouches on a belt around my waist. When I want to wade deep, I just slide the belt up higher and my stuff stays high and drier than any vest I owned.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 24 Jun 2020, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 18:20 • #14 
Guide
I never gave it up & I have always worn the shorty style vest, if I do not use the vest then its just the fishing shirt :)

Post 04 Jul 2020, 09:38 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Always used a vest. I don't mind it. It is said that Canadian fur trappers carried a 90 pound pack across the wilderness. A 5 or 6 pound vest can't be that bad.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 10:14 • #16 
Piscator
bassackwards wrote:

Curtis, except for my early days fishing from an ArctiCreel, the first time I saw a bag fished, was with Ken at Mason.
He's a strong swimmer, and crossed the deep Llano to get to another gravel bar, rod and fishing bag held above the river in one hand.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 10:42 • #17 
I like a mesh lightweight vest for summer day trips, and a stout one for cooler weather. Ron mentioned weight, and he's right, gotta watch it or you might become a fly fishing sherpa.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 10:45 • #18 
Guide
I did buy a sling pack and a waist pack, but yes I prefer my vest which Ive used for the last 35 years for single hand stream trout fishing. I use all three, there is no perfect thing but I prefer my vest, and I have all my cool patches on it.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 15:15 • #19 
Guide
I've been using a waist pack for quite some time now. It helps me to remember that I don't have to carry every fly I own and makes think about what I'm going to need that day.

Tom

Post 04 Jul 2020, 16:11 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I bought a Filson fanny pack a few years back when I was working away from home and didn't want my whole vest with me. I still use the Filson for some outings, but go to my Simms Guide vest (c. 1997) when I want a greater variety of flies and gear with me.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 12:34 • #21 
Master Guide
Vest when it's cool. Sling pack when it's hot. Amazing how a vest retains body heat.

Last edited by springer1 on 10 Jul 2020, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 16:09 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
I bought my vest in 1983 in Ennis, Montana and have used It exclusively for 37 years. Nothing else works as well for me. For some reason, other than a little fading and some worn Velcro, it looks pretty much the same as it did in 1983. I haven’t fared nearly as well.

1983:

2018 (last photo I could find of the vest)

Post 05 Jul 2020, 17:01 • #23 
[quote="Duff"]I bought my vest in 1983 in Ennis, Montana and have used It exclusively for 37 years. Nothing else works as well for me. For some reason, other than a little fading and some worn Velcro, it looks pretty much the same as it did in 1983. I haven’t fared nearly as well.

Nothing wrong with a little grizzly hackle :)

Post 09 Jul 2020, 18:54 • #24 
Guide
Since 1977 I've gone from vest to vest to vest (with a Wood River Bag thrown in) until I got a Simms Guide Vest in (about) 1998...about 2012 I tried a "hip/shoulder" bag (or two) mostly for use in the drift boat but always went back to the Simms vest. This year, I dug out my Filson lightweight strap vest that I had been using just for steelhead and reduced my load out of boxes and tools to fit the Filson which is not 1/3 the weight of the loaded Simms, cooler and more comfortable.

Post 09 Jul 2020, 20:23 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Duff, you've barely changed a bit between those two photos. What bamboo quad were your fishing the year we met in *********? And where?
Be Safe and Well Sir,
John

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply