It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 19:48

New Topic Add Reply
Yellowstone Park Update
Post 21 May 2020, 11:05 • #1 
Guide
Well MT is going to their "Phase Two" on June 1st according to the Bozeman Chronicle. This involves canceling the 14 day quarantine period for out of state visitors. The North gate to the Park will also open on June 1st. The Park will be limited to day use only with no camping or overnight Lodge stays and rumor has it tourist buses will be banned (Yeah!). The west gate is open now from west Yellowstone giving access to the Madison, Firehole, Gibbon and the southern part of the Park.

This could be the best time to visit in years and get to fish in relative solitude.

Tom

Post 21 May 2020, 18:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Double check the fishing. It's my understanding that the NPS is not opening fishing until June 15th.

Post 21 May 2020, 21:04 • #3 
Guide
Hellmtflies wrote:
Double check the fishing. It's my understanding that the NPS is not opening fishing until June 15th.

Sorry I goofed. Still will be a good year to fish.

Tom

Post 22 May 2020, 07:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
"Campgrounds, backcountry permits, visitor cabins, additional stores, expanded tours, takeout food service, boating, fishing, and visitor centers will remain closed. These Phase 2 services and/or facilities will open when safe and appropriate mitigation measures are in place. This will happen at different times."

This is a quote from the NPS. It's confusing to me. But I think we can fish after phase 2 is in place. No? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Post 22 May 2020, 07:11 • #5 
Global Moderator
I agree, it can be confusing, not to mention subject to change. Only one source has the latest detail and contact information for more. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Post 23 May 2020, 13:42 • #6 
Administrator
If a post celebrates the reopening of a park or other resource, that's great. We don't get enough good news lately. But when that post turns into complaining about the original closing, or a debate on what is opening when and how, then we will lock the thread.

Don't expect an online forum to keep up with the opening conditions of parks and rivers. The status will change rapidly and unpredictably. We don't wish FFR to be a source of incorrect information. It is one thing to be wrong about who made what glass fly rod. It is another thing completely for someone to be stranded or to lose a travel deposit because they received old/bad information.

Please, stick with the topic of glass fly rods and fishing with them. When detailed information on destinations is needed, go to the proper source.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply