It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Apr 2020, 04:32 • #1 
Sport
Is the size limit in the forum photo uploaded preventing you from uploading photos that I want to see?

iPhones do not have an inherent ability to resize photos, and most phones these days have large photo file sizes so I thought I’d post my solution as a I know a couple of others besides me struggled with the 5mb size limit.

The following app is free, you just have to put up with a couple of in app ads for now.
https://www.image-size.com/

Here are step by step instructions on how to use it:

1) Click the button in the top left to select the desired image from your phone library.

2) Make sure the chain icon here is highlighted in blue to maintain aspect ratio.

3) Choose a width or length in PIXELS - 1920 ought to do it.

4) Check that the new file size is < 5 MB, but smaller than this is usually preferred.

5) Save the new photo.

Hope this helps.

PS I have no commercial relationship with the app.

Post 25 Apr 2020, 09:49 • #2 
Master Guide
For PC users, I have been using this image resizer for years. It used to be part of Microsoft Power Toys and it appears it will be again. It was written by Brice Lamson and he has a blog about it here. There is a download link on that page. It's totally safe. Download and install. It will detect if your OS is 32 or 64 bit and install the appropriate version.

Now if you right click on an image file, you will get the context menu.

Click on "resize pictures". The image resizer will open.

Edit: I forgot to mention you can do multiple files at once. Just select them, right click and resize as above.

Choose the size you want or use a custom size, then click resize. The resized file will be saved in the folder of your original. for example, if you chose medium and your filename was named "picture" the resized one will be named "picture (medium)". File size is drastically reduced and now you can upload to the forum without issue.

Post 26 Apr 2020, 13:30 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks, Kevin. I just downloaded and will give it a try. It seem pretty easy. I haven't downloaded many pics on here but went to Imgur after Photobucket got stupid. I'm going to assume Imgur is equally unwelcome, so I'll go to using image size or just resize on my computer.

Thanks for the head-up ref the program, sir!

Post 26 Apr 2020, 14:21 • #4 
Administrator
Imgur is currently working and talking a great fight. But so did all the other services before they failed. With any outside service it is easy to break the links between the post and the image. If you can use the forum image uploader, that is the best option.

Some commercial rod builders use their own dedicated server space. That is fine for For Sale listings which go away after a month. But I would prefer that posts elsewhere in the forums are done with the uploader.

Tom

Post 30 Apr 2020, 09:32 • #5 
Piscator
Tom, is there way to find and view our image archive on the board uploader? This would save multiple uploads of the same image.
I've made the mistake of previewing a post before I was done, thereby losing the FFR photo server link, and having to upload the same photo a second time. (I've also searched my previous post to use the FFR photo server link and re-post on a different thread)

From a computer, you can always resize your photo on imgur, download the resized image to a folder on your desktop, and from there upload it to the FFR photo server - I do this all the time with Imgur and PB files, and periodically clean out my desktop service folder.

Post 30 Apr 2020, 17:56 • #6 
Administrator
bulldog1935 wrote:
Tom, is there way to find and view our image archive on the board uploader?

No. The uploader is only that, an image uploader so photos can easily be added to the forum posts. It is not an archive tool or library. It was designed so anyone could use it from any platform.

The big advantage to the uploader is once a copy of an image is uploaded into the system it can't be lost. The image copy stays in the system. The downside is inefficiency. It is possible to use the 'Quote' feature to copy and paste the image code for a previously uploaded photo. However, for those users that are not comfortable doing that, it is easiest to just upload a second time.

Just so everyone is clear I'll repeat myself. The uploader is not an archive tool. It is up to each user to archive and protect their images. By uploading an image, the owner gives the forum permission to display that image within the forum. The image copyright always remains with the original creator.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply