It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:57

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Dec 2019, 13:24 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
After consultation with several forum members, I am announcing the 2020 Glassic will be held at Tejas Park (or Camp) on the North Fork of the San Gabriel River upstream from Lake Georgetown, just outside of Georgetown, TX. Tejas Park is a primitive camp, tents only. There is running water available in the campground and the toilet facilities are of the vault type. For those who require more civilized accommodations, Jim Hogg Park on the shores of Lake Georgetown offers RV parking and showers and flush toilets. Jim Hogg Park is about 11 miles from Tejas Park. I will make reservations for the Tejas Park group campsite which can take up to 25 people. Those who wish to avail themselves of RV camping at Jim Hogg Park will need to make their own reservations. Aside from the river adjacent to the campground there are other fishing opportunities in the area, including stretches of the San Gabriel in Georgetown and Brushy Creek in nearby Round Rock. Also Aaron (TXH2Oman) has his new book on Austin Flyfishing coming out around this time, and he has researched a lot of streams in the area. Researching (fishing) all those streams must been total drudgery. ;)
As mentioned above, the dates for this outing are April 24-26, 2020. A few of us, including myself, will arrive 2-3 days early to try to scare all the fish before everybody else arrives.

Larry

P.S. - I am reminded that at least one of our members uses a C-PAP machine when sleeping. There is no electricity at the campsite. Those who need an electrical connection will need either a battery pack, set up at another campground, or check into a nearby motel. I am not certain, but doubt that generators are allowed.

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 22 Dec 2019, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Dec 2019, 20:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I hope everyone in area can come fish and cast rods. Oh and if Carl gumbo might be on the menu. We always have a great time.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 12:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That’s a relatively short drive for me, which is good as I should be just back from Shenandoah NP.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 19:12 • #4 
Sport
Looking at google it looks to be fairly wadeable with a gravel and limestone bottom. Anyone planning wading or are ya'll taking kayaks?

Post 25 Dec 2019, 19:53 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I'm just planning to wade, especially since I got rid of my kayak. I thought about taking my canoe, but I don't want to have to mess with shuttles. As I mentioned in my original post, there are several places to fish in that general area. Within 20 miles there are at least two other creeks, and there are other sections of the San Gabriel. Which is why I plan to come in at least 2 days early so I can check out some of the other possibilities in the area. Bring a kayak if you want.

Larry

Post 29 Dec 2019, 14:02 • #6 
Sport
I plan on making it. I may see i a friend of mine can make it as well.

Post 29 Dec 2019, 20:39 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The more the merrier.

Larry

Post 30 Dec 2019, 09:51 • #8 
Sport
I will most likely attend, I am in Marble Falls, so it is a close drive for me... I've camped at Cedar Break COE in Georgetown. Thanks for setting this up and have been looking at this area to fish for the last couple of years...

Tightlines
Gillbuster

Post 30 Dec 2019, 12:37 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
From that close, you and Hayden wouldn't even need to camp out, just drive over each morning. Of course you would miss out on the joys of bathing in the river or driving to the nearest campground with showers. Or just getting ranker by the day. Since I plan to be there about 5 days that could be pretty rank.

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 06 Jan 2020, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 00:10 • #10 
Sport
Absolutely.... Being rank is not bad if your catching fish ... it’s the smell of success... just use a lot of Old Spice deodorant .... definitely will bring my float tube, waders pending water conditions, dust off some of my favorite old glass rods and some proven flies to share fishing conversations with.... Thanks again for organizing this event...

John

Post 10 Jan 2020, 18:37 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
By all means, everybody should bring an assortment of old and new glass rods. As we all know, one of the biggest problems with glass rods is finding out what we like and don't like, as it is difficult to find them just to try out. Which is why I have a lot more rods than I really need or want, because the only way I could try them out was to buy them. One of the reasons I like conclaves is the knowing that I will get to cast a lot of rods, so I can quit wondering how a particular rod casts.

Since gillbuster brought up the topic of waders, I have a question. By late April will the water still be cold enough to require waders? I will be coming in from about 350 miles to the north, and usually by late April I am wet wading.

Larry

P.S. - There should also be quite a few rods available for purchase. There is usually a considerable degree of horse trading going on. I know I have several rods I could be persuaded to part with.

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 20 Jan 2020, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:44 • #12 
Guide
This is awesome guess I have something to look forward to now and its close to the house.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 20:45 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
For those planning to come and camp, I have been looking at some reviews and also looking at the campsite via Google Earth. The group site which I reserved when I first posted this thread appears to be about 75 yards from the most distant parking area from the entrance. You will have to walk to the campsite, carrying your gear. Apparently this is slightly uphill from the parking area. I really don't feel up to carrying heavy coolers and other heavy items up even a slight hill for that far. So I will bring a dolly to cart all my gear, and it will be available for others to use if needed. Aaron said he could bring one also. The group site is in an open field behind the tree line, thus out in the sun. I will bring a large tarp and some adjustable tent poles for setting up a shelter over the table. If you want some shady areas to get out of the sun, anybody that has shelters available might bring them. After a little more thinking, I might bring my canoe. I could always put in upstream at another crossing and float down to the camp. As is usual, it is becoming more difficult each year to wait for spring.

Larry

Post 31 Jan 2020, 15:51 • #14 
Guide
Hey guys,

Just catching up on all of this. Larry is correct that the group campsite is about 300 feet from the parking area (and vault toilets). It's not much of a hill to climb, but a bit of a walk. The North Fork of the Gabe is about 300 feet and a bit downhill in the other direction. There is a trail, the Goodwater Loop (26 miles, it circles Lake Georgetown and connects with the San Gabriel River Trail that continues into Georgetown proper), that provides easy access to the river from either the north or south bank. Water is middling low right now, so wading is super easy. Even if we get some rain, much of the upper portion around CR 258 (30.6963, -97.82882) will be wadeable. It's a good limestone and gravel bottom.

As Larry pointed out, there's a lot of access on both the North and South Forks, and the mainstem San Gabriel River within about 20 minutes of the campground. There is additional access on Berry Creek, miles of access on Brushy Creek, and the Lampasas River is about 35 minutes away.

Living Waters Fly Fishing (http://livingwatersflyfishing.com/) is the local shop, about 35 minutes from the campground.

My book, Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas (https://flyfishingaustin.thelocalangler.com/) will be out everywhere May 1, but I'll probably have some copies available for you guys if anyone wants to pick it up early. Also, I'll be presenting at San Gabriel Fly Fishers(http://www.sgflyfishers.com/) Tuesday, the 21st, if anyone is here early and would like to join us.

We usually hang up the waders by mid-March down here, so you should be fine to wet wade late April. On the North Gabe, you can find all the sunfish, LMB, carp, and redhorse suckers. The white bass run will be done by then, but there will surely be some stragglers in the upper end of the lake/lower part of the river. Farther upstream, and also on the South Gabe and on the mainstem, you can find Guadalupe bass. The South San Gabriel River, the main stem in town, and Brushy will be your go-to places for Rio Grande cichlids. You could always email Matt Bennett (https://www.flygeek.net/) for an assortment of Lunch/Brunch Monies, Carp-it Bombs, and Rio Getters. That would cover most everything. Oh ... hoppers and poppers, too. Living Waters may or may not have Matt's flies in stock, depending on traffic.

There are a couple of "locals only" spots on the North Gabe, well upstream of Tejas Camp, I might be convinced to share. ;-

Finally, there's a brewery here (https://goo.gl/maps/z1UnGCFuR4A45n3k8) and here (https://goo.gl/maps/5ezFafQGipWvLozJ9) and here (https://goo.gl/maps/aB2FSU274Af3f6qt9) and a distillery here (https://goo.gl/maps/REWZRvCe6mdpZWB58).

I look forward to seeing y'all.

Aaron
https://bluecollarflyfishing.com

Post 01 Feb 2020, 14:45 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Aaron,
Thanks for the update with all the information.

Larry

Post 07 Feb 2020, 08:30 • #16 
Guide
I am planning on attending along with my sister who is a non-angler.Now to start buying a new 5 wt. & tying some flies!

Post 07 Feb 2020, 11:05 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I will start a list of who is planning to attend and update as needed. Also would be good to know who is planning to camp at the site. I have reserved the group site for 25 people, but if more are planning to camp, additional camp sites will be needed.
THOSE PLANNING TO ATTEND:
Canoeman1947 (Larry)
catmanjack (Kurt)
crappiecat (Carl)
wabash1967 (Jeff)
keebranch (Les)
TXH2Oman (Aaron)
preast (Randy)
GuloGulo and sister
bones72
gillbuster (john)
Mitt78
mdwwhw (Hayden)
OKMike (Mike)
hipshot from ULFF (Jim)
Raybow (Ray)
kyrainmaker from ULFF (Ralph)
TexasFlyCaster
SouthernRivers
magicmike
bassackwards (Curtis)

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 03 Mar 2020, 18:29, edited 4 times in total.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 09:41 • #18 
Guide
This is really starting to shape up. I'll have tons of flies in multiple boxes there and bring along a few rods. Probably wont be camping as it is only about 30 minutes from the house.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 15:23 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I usually bring way too many flies, and I'll definitely bring a lot of rods for people to play with (and perhaps buy, in some cases). Bones, what are some flies you like to use in that area? I had planned to tie up some Llano Bugs, Cypert Minnows, and probably some Brushy Creek Streamers. What else is good?

Larry

Post 11 Feb 2020, 10:21 • #20 
Guide
On Brushy I like a white Bett's popper with a #10 - #14 worm style fly or a nymph of the same sizes. I am usually targeting Rio's when I am there hence the smallish dropper fly. The popper however will elicit response from some the big redbreasts on the creek as well as bass both guadalupes and largemouth. If the surface is not producing and the Rios don't want to play any number of clousers have been my go to fly either in very bright color schemes or ones that somewhat mimic sunfish. I used a #4 clouser in white/chartreuse/dark blue to catch a flathead cat down there last summer so I usually do keep a few larger flies in the box.

On the Nolan creek which is not so far away I use the same Bett's popper for surface action on spotted bass or go subsurface with a hotspot clouser #6 - #8. Clousers will get spotted bass, largemouth and channel cats. Don't know why they seem to prefer some sort of throat or hot spot but they do and it doesn't seem to matter what it is or what color. I have used wrapped flashabou, red, pink and orange thread as well as dubbing. They also have a proclivity for darker eyes. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any large sunfish species in this creek but the little but beautiful longears will wear you out on poppers and #8 clousers.

At that time of year the shad spawn should be getting under way and the fish should follow the bait into the shallows on area lakes like Georgetown, Granger, Belton and Stillhouse. I always liked a clouser dressed as a shad then in #4 - #8.

Haven't fished any part of the San Gabriel for close to twenty years but will probably get some scouting done in the shortly after the rain and cooler weather moves out. All things said though I am sure Bulldog will have his Cat's Whiskers and little crawfish flies that are extremely effective as well and he has way more knowledge of the area than I do as I have absent for over a decade now and just returned last summer.

Post 17 Feb 2020, 09:08 • #21 
Was made aware of this event by author Aaron Reed, and he made it sound awesome! So ignore the guy with the camera and FISH on. Not knowing about this, and living in North Texas, goes a long way toward proving my saying; Austin is the epicenter of Texas fly fishing!

Post 17 Feb 2020, 13:19 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Hey shannon- folks come here fro fun- and sometimes we go to north Texas and OK for our events. ;)

Les

Post 17 Feb 2020, 17:49 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Shannon, you should probably capitalize AUTHOR. I mean Aaron has written lots of articles and has a blog, but now with a book coming out, he is an AUTHOR. :eek But at least he still speaks to common folk.

Larry

Post 18 Feb 2020, 11:42 • #24 
Guide
I’m definitely going to try to swing by this event. I’m looking forward to meeting you guys in person.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 17:56 • #25 
Guide
I am definitely going to try and make this event. I have always been intrigued by the fishing in that area. Count me in!

Thanks,
Mike

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply