It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:20

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Feb 2020, 19:08 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
And a third state is heard from. Welcome magicmike. And now that he's retired and has nothing better to do, it's time for jgestar to make another trip to a Texas clave. What about it, Tom?

Larry.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 06:09 • #27 
Administrator
Canoeman1947 wrote:
And a third state is heard from. Welcome magicmike. And now that he's retired and has nothing better to do, it's time for jgestar to make another trip to a Texas clave. What about it, Tom?

Larry.

I thought I retired too. Life and work have been really busy since! It's not what I expected.

I'm now located in North Carolina instead of Kansas, so it's a much longer drive. One of the best parts of going to a clave is bringing a trunk full of rods for "show and cast". That last trip to Texas I think I had my suitcase in the passenger seat. The rest of the car was stuffed with gear.

Tom

Post 20 Feb 2020, 12:53 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, I've noticed that retirement doesn't seem to have given me a lot more time to play as I thought it would. Now it generally seems to mean I have time to do the things my wife wants done, or I have to be there for the grandkids, or whatever. I knew you had moved to North Carolina, but don't think of it as a much longer drive, think of it as a chance to spend some time exploring the country as you drive down. And rent a van, that way you will have more room for gear and a bigger suitcase. ;)

Larry

Post 20 Feb 2020, 15:21 • #29 
Master Guide
Hey Larry,
I haven't talked to Denice, I may have a plus 1
Mike

Post 27 Feb 2020, 11:46 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Less than two months away and I'm getting antsy. Have been tying flies, checking my camping gear to ensure I have everything I need, getting ready to organize and reorganize my vest or shoulder sling bags, etc. Have spent an inordinate amount of time following streams and looking at stream crossings in the Georgetown/Austin area on Google Earth Pro. Now I just have to hope the event doesn't get rained out.

Larry

Post 02 Mar 2020, 23:17 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Hmm, I thought I posted earlier that I would attend, but it seems to have disappeared. Looking forward to catching up with old friends.

Post 03 Mar 2020, 07:20 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Curtis- looking forward to seeing you

Les

Post 03 Mar 2020, 18:30 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
You are now on the list Curtis, but I was expecting you anyway.

Larry

Post 09 Mar 2020, 11:29 • #34 
Guide
Thinking about it. Will anybody be targeting Carp?
Rick

Post 09 Mar 2020, 13:42 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
rick
no targeting- although if they get in the way I'll throw their way.

if you're looking for other species- you'll have better opportunities for Guads, red breast sunfish, rio grande cichlids, and LMB. carp are there too in hill country but not sure about the San Gabriel.

Les

Post 09 Mar 2020, 18:45 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
If I see one feeding I might throw a fly to it, unless of course if I am using a 1 or 2 weight. Even then it might be fun for a few seconds.

Larry

Post 10 Mar 2020, 18:15 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I just had a call from my buddy Kurt who informed me he may not be coming to the clave because his family is very concerned about the coronavirus. I know the big South by Southwest shindig was cancelled in Austin, but that was to involve hundreds of thousands of people from everywhere. Is there significant concern among the people who plan to come? In six weeks the virus may have spread a lot more than it has at this time. Do we go on with the event or cancel it? I would like some feedback. I would suggest waiting for three weeks and see what the status of events is at that time. I can always cancel the reservations for the campsite.

Larry

Post 10 Mar 2020, 19:41 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Carls bringing the gumbo, and I'll bring the purelll. Unless things change

Post 10 Mar 2020, 21:56 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I was wondering if Carl was still planning on being there. You bring the Purell, and I'll bring a few gallons of Clorox and Lysol. :eek

Larry

Post 12 Mar 2020, 13:58 • #40 
Master Guide
This thing should be wound down by then....I ain't skeered

Post 12 Mar 2020, 20:18 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
I’m still tentatively planning to go, but it’s hard to predict what will happen.

Post 13 Mar 2020, 08:52 • #42 
Guide
keebranch wrote:
rick
no targeting- although if they get in the way I'll throw their way.

if you're looking for other species- you'll have better opportunities for Guads, red breast sunfish, rio grande cichlids, and LMB. carp are there too in hill country but not sure about the San Gabriel.

Les

The North Gabe has a terrific carp fishery. 5-10 pound fish in clear water. There's a very productive reach a few miles upstream from Tejas.

Post 13 Mar 2020, 08:55 • #43 
Guide
Canoeman1947 wrote:
I just had a call from my buddy Kurt who informed me he may not be coming to the clave because his family is very concerned about the coronavirus. I know the big South by Southwest shindig was cancelled in Austin, but that was to involve hundreds of thousands of people from everywhere. Is there significant concern among the people who plan to come? In six weeks the virus may have spread a lot more than it has at this time. Do we go on with the event or cancel it? I would like some feedback. I would suggest waiting for three weeks and see what the status of events is at that time. I can always cancel the reservations for the campsite.

Larry

Larry,

Good suggestion. I think there is plenty of time to "wait and see." Who knows where we'll be with this thing by the third week of April?

Aaron

Post 13 Mar 2020, 11:48 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I think I will wait until about April 10 to make a decision for myself. My wife and I had planned to go to Eureka Springs, AR with our daughter and her family next week during Spring Break, but we cancelled the trip. My wife was concerned about a possibly crowded resort town with people from everywhere, but as for myself I wasn't all that keen on Eureka Springs anyway. Also, our cat has definite separation anxiety and I hate to leave her alone for more than a day. Gotta take care of my little furry buddy.

Larry

Post 18 Mar 2020, 20:03 • #45 
Guide
Larry and all,

While fly fishing is an excellent social distancing technique, and it is likely that Tejas Campground itself (and the river, of course) will be open in late April, you should know that: no bars or restaurants will be, and the current emergency declaration for Williamson County limits public or private gatherings to no more than 10 people. That declaration will be in effect through at least May 11. The first four confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported from the county this week.

On the other hand, HEB should have toilet paper again by the third week of April and the liquor stores are still open.

If folks are still coming I'll come by and say howdy (from 6 feet away).

Stay healthy, friends,

Aaron

Post 19 Mar 2020, 16:13 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Bad news. I received an e-mail from the Corps of Engineers. Tejas Park the location for the conclave is now officially closed through April, and quite possibly for longer than that. They have already refunded my payment for the group camp site. Most of the Texas state parks are still open, but any park associated with anybody diagnosed with Co-vid 19 will be closed. This makes it very problematic to try to go on with the conclave. I was afraid it might come this. So the conclave is cancelled for now. Possibly can set one up in a few months depending on how long this pandemic goes on. As Aaron said, everyone stay healthy, and try to get in some "social distancing" with your fly rod somewhere.

Larry

Post 19 Mar 2020, 16:19 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Received a message last night that Tejas Park, where we had planned to hold the Glassic, is closed until at least May 1. They have already refunded my reservation fee for the group campsite. I thought about possibility of moving to nearby state park, but TPWD has said if anybody has been found to have Covid-19 shortly after going to one of the parks, the park will be closed. That makes things just a little too iffy, so the Glassic is cancelled at this time.

Larry

Post 19 Mar 2020, 21:29 • #48 
Sport
Maybe this fall?

I don’t know about the hill country but lake grapevine is full. I think they could close the road over by my house if we get much rain. The lake is about 10 to 15 feet from the road.

Post 19 Mar 2020, 22:53 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Depending on how the pandemic plays out, we might be able to set this up at a later time. Might have to wait until next year.

Larry

Post 20 Mar 2020, 13:28 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
let's keep our eyes on the future- there will be other claves.

Les

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply