It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Feb 2020, 11:25 • #1 
Guide
Yesterday I was looking at some of the for sale items. When I looked at the pictures of the Southbend 3290 rod for sale I got a popup message saying my computer was just infected with a virus and needed to do an immediate virus scan by clicking below.

Of course I did not click below but instead did a forced shutdown of the computer then turned the computer back on and did a Norton virus scan. It didn't find any viruses and I've had no problems.

Just a heads up for others to note

Re: virus warning
Post 27 Feb 2020, 11:44 • #2 
Piscator
rather than virus, that's malware - Malwarebytes is the best defence - it won't let your computer go there, and can also remove malware from your computer start-up registry.

Re: virus warning
Post 27 Feb 2020, 18:15 • #3 
Administrator
Sorry to hear about this.

Ron is correct, this is malware or possibly scareware. This is a scum act by PostImages. You most likely clicked on one of the images.

I have tried to ask posters to stop using PostImages, but alas, some people continue.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=67819

I was caught with this myself earlier today. Clicking on an image - which one wants to do, if it is a thumbnail - does open the PostImages website, only in a new tab. The old tab is then hijacked by some form of scum ads, or as you have run into a fake virus warning, trying to get you to either click on something or buy something.

Members, please use the in-house image uploader and hosting system. This is safe. It will not disappear in a puff of smoke, or try to extort money from you, like most of these 3rd party image hosts have done in the past, or are likely to do in the future.

Upon request, I am willing to re-host anyone's PostImages or Photobucket images. In the meantime do not delete anything.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 18:47 • #4 
Guide
I just went there trying to recreate your experience and I could not . I have Malware Bytes and it is very good and it did not get a hit .

Post 27 Feb 2020, 19:02 • #5 
Administrator
Interesting, I can only reproduce this in Firefox.

Chromium/Blink have probably hardened their code for opening cross-domain links by now.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 19:32 • #6 
Master Guide
Just possibly had the same issue using Windows Edge while looking at one of my own pics in the winter 2019-20 re-build thread. Said basically my computer was being locked down call the number below, IP addres hacked,,, etc etc. Finally got everything closed down, ran virus check and malware, nothing found. Can you re-host those images? The images are from my 10 Dec. and 20 Dec. post.
Bruce

Last edited by paramount51 on 27 Feb 2020, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 19:37 • #7 
Piscator
they're not in yet, just trying to get you to click to download them in - it's a very old scam.
Again, malwarebytes prevents the pop-up, and gives you a warning why.
And a report - malwarebytes likes to brag when it does its job.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 20:06 • #8 
Administrator
Basically if you can at all help it - DON'T use PostImages. They are ad supported and they do not care one bit what ads they serve. In my opinion, this is a sign of impeding internet death. Not only do such ads ruin the site's reputation, they pay badly too.

I realize some members have worked PostImages into their image processing, particularly with Clark's not hosting images. But those members should understand PostImages is going the same way as PhotoBucket and TinyPic. Maybe not tomorrow, but sooner than later. Make sure you have a backup copy of your images.

Please, if at all possible, use the forum image uploader.

Tom

Post 27 Feb 2020, 20:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Tom, here and ORCA use the same photo posting tools (awesome and thanks!) so is there sound reasoning why Clark's - CFRF does not take advantage and use the same?

Thanks! John Huskey

Post 27 Feb 2020, 20:26 • #10 
Administrator
paramount51 wrote:
Can you re-host those images?
I will rehost all your PostImages photos hopefully before the end of tomorrow. I'm on a bit of a busy and tight schedule for the next few hours.

I cannot say if it was related, but it was a strong coincidence that I lost audio on my computer after checking out jigsup's post. First time in over 5 years. My computer is up for hundreds of days between reboots. This has and will cost me a lot of time. BUT, no harm appears to have been done.

Tom is correct. When companies resort to tactics like this, they probably do not have much longer to live.

I do have a backup of every PostImages photo posted before the end of last year. I'd rather not rely on it, but, at least it exists and damage can be limited.

@jhuskey: That is because I am the creator and installer of this unique system. ORCA's is out of date, though.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 21:03 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Admin, thank you for this tool! It is very much appreciated! Keep your head down and your eyes on the skyline, we don't want anything happening to you Sir/Madame! Assuming Sir given your avatar :D :D

John :like

Post 28 Feb 2020, 17:01 • #12 
Administrator
paramount51 wrote:
Can you re-host those images?

I have rehosted these for you. Examples

Post 28 Feb 2020, 17:24 • #13 
Master Guide
Admin,
Thank you very much for all the work you do! Bruce

New Topic Add Reply