It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Feb 2020, 20:22 • #1 
Guide
Hi, I am new member that has been getting deeper into small streams in mid-Atlantic over last few years. Been using a 7'6" Orvis Superfine glass rod and love it, but noticed for some areas really wanted smaller rod.

In mid-Jan. took possession of a new C. Barclay Blue Ridge Special (med-light action), 6'8", 4-piece, 3wt rod paired with a Kineya Model 300 reel spooled with 406 DT-3, which I added Appalachian Mountains Furled 3' leader.

Haven't had to time to fish on appropriate mountain stream yet but next week the stars should line up and hopefully rain abates. Here is pic Chris sent prior to rod going out. I have had out in local pond playing around and this thing is soo sweet, smooth and loads so nice. Chris was great guy to work with and highly recommend him if your looking for custom.

Post 06 Feb 2020, 20:43 • #2 
Sport
Welcome 68! That CBarclay looks so sweet, and I hope it fishes that way. Please give us a report when you have put it to work. A 6'9" glass rod got me into this wonderful world and has me believing that glass is greater than graphite for tight quarters hand-to-hand combat with these finned beasts. The problem is, there are soooo many gorgeous glass rods. Arrrggghhh.

Post 06 Feb 2020, 20:56 • #3 
Master Guide
Welcome! I have the three piece model of the 68 and it is sweet. You're going to love it. I can also recommend the 66 2 weight. Even more fun if there's no wind.

Post 11 Feb 2020, 10:25 • #4 
Guide
I grew up in Va and know some those small streams well. That little rod will serve you well amongst the laurel lined banks of Virginia's brookie waters.

Post 11 Feb 2020, 13:22 • #5 
68camaro, we spent many years in central VA and I passed many days fishing throughout those mountains. My Fenwick 7' 5 weight was my rod of choice. But I didn't have anything smaller! That set-up from Chris should be just perfect. Post some photos for us!

Post 13 Feb 2020, 21:53 • #6 
Guide
jacknoir wrote:
68camaro, we spent many years in central VA and I passed many days fishing throughout those mountains. My Fenwick 7' 5 weight was my rod of choice. But I didn't have anything smaller! That set-up from Chris should be just perfect. Post some photos for us!

I happen to be in central VA, and biggest issue is which stream/river to go to. Bigger problem is work has prevented me from getting out. Hope to have pics soon.

Post 14 Feb 2020, 08:45 • #7 
Guide
Where in Central Va? I grew up in Fredericksburg and could point you to a few on the northern end of your area; my dad still tries to fish them. My favorite being the Conway river in the state wildlife area. Some bruiser wild browns in there and the first place I caught a wild tiger trout.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 08:24 • #8 
Guide
bones72 wrote:
Where in Central Va? I grew up in Fredericksburg and could point you to a few on the northern end of your area; my dad still tries to fish them. My favorite being the Conway river in the state wildlife area. Some bruiser wild browns in there and the first place I caught a wild tiger trout.

Ssshhh on Conway in that area..LOL thats one of my favorite spots and too hard for most people to get to, you're right about the browns there also. I never heard of tiger trout will need to look it up. I spend alot of time in that area on the different streams. My goal over next couple years is to hit ever stream in the SNP, I think there are 43 - 45 named ones.

Do you fish for shad that runs up your way? Using fly rod for shad under 95 bridge in Richmond is difficult so I was thinking of running up to the Rappahanock in F'burg once the shad are there.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 09:36 • #9 
Guide
Finally got Chris' Blue Ridge Special out unto a small stream yesterday.

Spent a full day Tuesday throwing big streamers for Brown trout on an Orvis 7F H3, so when I put Chris' 6'8" 3wt rod together it felt like a feather. I don't have a lot to compare the rod to, my only other glass is an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 3wt, but I will tell you on tight streams the Blue Ridge Special (BSR) is simply "fun to fish".

My progression to the C. Barcklay started with a Helios 2 9' 5 weight. This is very nice rod but not for tight water natives, I then purchased a Superfine 3wt and it was a HUGE difference and made fishing so much easier and enjoyable, opened up tons of pockets to target, and being glass was much slower. As I got into small streams more and more I realized I wanted a smaller rod, hence the Blue Ridge Special. Just like the Superfine was huge difference over the 9' 5wt, the Blue Ridge Special was huge difference over the Superfine.

I spent yesterday morning throwing dry's on Chris' rod in morning and switched to the the Superfine in afternoon to compare. Honestly, I doubt I will use the superfine again, not because it is a bad rod but simply the BRS is soo much better and fun to work with on the smaller streams I fish. Going from Chris' 6'8" to the 7'6" is a munch bigger jump than I thought. Switching to the longer Superfine, I spend much more time getting flies/line out branches and overshooting close targets simply due to its length. Also to load up to shoot further I needed quite a bit more space than the BSR and as we know, space is rare commodity on tight streams.

I never knew what slow was until fishing the BRS, it's like throwing darts in slow motion, the rods slowness just makes it so fun to fish. By slowing down the cast you are actually taking in more of your surroundings and at the "moment" it's like time slows down. It also loads up so amazing, you really feel the load, I fished a lot left handed as I used my right hand to steady myself with wading staff trying to get best positions to target areas. Just flicking the wrist put the fly in target zone. When real tight I choked up on rod and holding it above cork a few times and still got all the load and accuracy I needed. With fish on, the give of the rod kept the smallest to the biggest brookie pinned for a nice fight.

Upon approaching some wider areas where I needed to really managing drift on both side of riffles, I found the shorter rod made me think much more of my approach, stealth and how to fish both sides without blowing the run. This actually increased the joy as it added to the strategy necessary to fish the run.

I can't forget to mention how gently the dry fly floats to the water on the rod paired with the Appalachian Mountain Furled leader and short tippet, no more that 2'. Even with the Superfine I noticed the fly dropped harder in many instances due shorter cast room which created need for harder wrist flick to get fly in target. When I needed longer casts the rod delivered perfectly without effort.

All-in-all the rod works great and simply puts smile on your face when fishing it.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 12:27 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. I too have a 68, but the three piece model and love it. Roy

New Topic Add Reply