It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Dec 2019, 07:48 • #1 
Guide
Fly Life on line magazine has a great article on glass and glass rods.
Dated December 13. Take a look, a great short read.

Post 19 Dec 2019, 09:24 • #2 
Master Guide
Very good, read it and found the observations to be right on target. Seems like every fly fishing person should experience the joy of casting and fishing glass. Maybe it won’t be the right tool for what they tend to do, but discounting glass without ever trying it would be like a lover of classical music panning Mozart without ever hearing a note of that composer’s music played.

Post 19 Dec 2019, 10:30 • #3 
Piscator
thanks for the heads up

Post 19 Dec 2019, 21:49 • #4 
Administrator
It's always nice to see glass get attention in the press. Skunkedalot, thank you for posting about the article. Unfortunately, the article itself made me cringe. In my opinion it won't help to bring anyone to fiberglass or fly fishing. It is simply more proof the internet has killed the English language.

Tom

Post 20 Dec 2019, 04:03 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
A link would be nice....

Post 20 Dec 2019, 07:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Ibooke, it's easily found with a search. I decided not to link it because, well, it's good, but more of an advertisement than an article, vastly overstating all about "modern" fiberglass, as if it were invented in the new age. The rods mentioned are certainly good ones; I just don't care for the approach that discards the old to proclaim the new, especially when some of the old is still a benchmark for the new.

I wish more of the current makers would be unabashed in touting the "old" technology because that is what it is, and that is what makes it, with incremental refinements, good today. Hard to believe, but I guess it's possible that some of the new makers haven't examined and fished the great rods of the heyday. They would make even better rods if they gave the "old" ones their due.

Post 20 Dec 2019, 08:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you for the notice of article. While it's good to see our MOC getting some publicity, jgestar makes a good point about the writing. Some of the piece is downright unreadable.

New Topic Add Reply