It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Oct 2019, 12:51 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I swear I USED to be able to edit posts or topics I created after the fact, but now I can't as the edit button has disappeared on old topics I created or posts I've made with replies after mine.

For example, topics are edited all the time on the "For Sale" board but is that because no replies are allowed on "For Sale" listings?

Is this something new, is there a timeout or am I cracking up?

Post 01 Oct 2019, 13:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You're not cracking up. There seems to be a watchdog timer on the edit feature. I discovered it when PostImage changed their link path and I went to some old posts to edit my photo links. The Edit button was gone from those posts.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 13:37 • #3 
Piscator
that's it - ater awhile, the only way to get back in a post, e.g., to see photo links, is hit quote on the post

Post 01 Oct 2019, 14:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks!

FWIW - I still see the edit button on this post after two replies so it must be a timing thing alone however it must be longer than the hour or so since I created this topic.

I'll check again tomorrow.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 17:07 • #5 
Master Guide
I went back and looked at my last two posts, Sept. 17 and Sept. 8. I can edit them. Posts from August I can't. So it appears maybe a month is the cutoff.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 17:23 • #6 
Piscator
I think it's like 2 weeks

Post 01 Oct 2019, 21:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
From the FAQ at the top:
Quote:
» How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.
Apparently it is not always and the limited time isn't specified as to hours, days, weeks.
I ran into this early on with a post only a day old and misspelled words, it had several post after it and that may be a key factor.

Post 02 Oct 2019, 11:05 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Six replies and 24+ hours later and I can still see the "Edit" button.

The mystery continues...

Post 02 Oct 2019, 12:21 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle wrote:

The mystery continues...
Does a quote change that?

Post 02 Oct 2019, 14:46 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Log-in time or number of logins, maybe?

Post 02 Oct 2019, 15:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I've run into that same problem, and it does appear to be a matter of time since posting, but I don't know how long. I have recently run into a problem with posting PM's. I had the same problem a couple of months ago, and thought it had resolved. Recently I tried 3 times to send a PM to a fellow member, and not once did it go through. I finally had to call another member to see if he had a phone number I could use, and fortunately I was able to connect that way. I have not had this problem on other forums.

Larry

Post 02 Oct 2019, 15:41 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
It the quote from the FAQ it says "Sometimes" as though it is random, but number of logins or time between logins makes some sense. If I haven't logged in for a week or six and I want to change a post that might trigger it, on the other hand if I stay logged in for several months it be looked at as single session.

Post 02 Oct 2019, 22:30 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

The mystery continues...
Does a quote change that?

Not yet...

Post 02 Oct 2019, 22:32 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
Log-in time or number of logins, maybe?

I hardly log off but coincidentally, I logged off earlier and just logged in and I still see the "Edit" button.

Post 12 Nov 2019, 12:21 • #15 
Administrator
The magic time period is 43,200 minutes (30 days). I think that has been in effect since we moved the forum.

The idea was to allow a few weeks for making corrections, but not to allow edits years after the original post. When someone drastically edits or deletes their text years after it was written, it makes a mess of the thread. In the long run, it is better to add a post with corrections at the end of the thread. In an extreme case, I can edit old posts.

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2019, 12:33 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
You must be correct because the ability to edit has disappeared for me on this thread.

Mystery solved!!

New Topic Add Reply