It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:20

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Sep 2019, 15:07 • #1 
Guide
Board members how can you tolerate the blurry quality and watermarks over photobucket photos. This is a great site with some incredible information but photobucket has single handedly diminished its impact.

Post 26 Sep 2019, 19:34 • #2 
Piscator
people would have to choose to buy a photobucket subscription to remedy that problem, and many people won't do that on principle.

you can see the difference on p1 and p2 of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8498

for posting new photos, there are at least a couple of options, and Imgur is a good choice
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65340

Post 27 Sep 2019, 07:33 • #3 
Guide
I know but the posting guide for Photos should be updated to use another server or service like imgur else blurry watermarked photos spoil the content of the board.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 08:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Just so you know, I have outdoor photographs dating back to the mid '50s in formats with far more technical changes than a slightly different digital host. That's color. I have black and white from the mid 1960s. Pretty hard to keep up with all of them. No sooner do we update the board instructions than another preferred host and technology variation comes along. It would be nice if the world stopped with carousels and Agfachrome, but it ain't happening. The sites themselves give posting instructions to various types of sites, sites hosted by the platform we use being fairly common.

And thanks to many helpful members, detail instruction is readily available in response to a specific query about a specific hosting site. Although our posted instructions or dated, the basic process is the same. Realistically, the photographer/contributor, for now at least, needs to master the media chosen. Not ideal, but not much of a project individually either, compared, let's say, to developing, cropping, and printing b&w photos, arranging negatives to accompany, and so on. I forget the details now. The details of any one platform today will be even more short lived.

Very glad of continued interest in all the previous pics, some now blurred. Just as an example, what I have on Photobucket is piddlypoo compared to the thousands more over six decades. It is a lot of work to keep them all restored and available. Fortunately, my brother has been doing a lot of it, but if he throws out some, so be it. We have more to take, and I'm sure there will be many more great ones added to FFR, even as we inevitably lose a few of many great pics by many contributors here.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 09:25 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Many of us use Postimage (https://postimages.org) after Photobucket all the sudden changed their use policy.
I'm quite happy with Postimage.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 10:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
So, on most other forums I use there is a way to attach images direct from the desk top or smart phone; being almost clueless about computers, is that a possibility here?

One thing I have seen with any third party hosting deal is that anytime the user changes the hosting account the picture url is no longer working. The attached photos stay with the forum.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 12:21 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Those websites host their own images. There is a cost associated with maintaining storage.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 14:46 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Whirlpool, “Carousels and Agfrachome”? How old does one need to be to really get that? For me, it makes me feel giddy all over.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 14:53 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
Whirlpool, “Carousels and Agfrachome”? How old does one need to be to really get that? For me, it makes me feel giddy all over.

Kodachromes mostly, but carousels definitely. Still have 'em.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 15:16 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Kodachrome was great but Agfachome was easier to process. Kodachome was exclusive to Kodak processing until just before I was born but I still always sent it to Kodak to get it done right. But if I did slides for a cheap ass like myself, Agfachrome and later Ektachrome and Fujichrome were in the mix.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 15:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Shot a lot of Ektachrome too, most early on. You're right about processing. I always used the Kodak mailers until Kodak quit that business. Wonderful film, though, especially the Kodachrome Professional -- superb color saturation. I had a bunch of Ektachrome processed by a budget lab when I was overseas, and all those slides have faded and washed out. Never tried Agfa, and wish I had.

Post 28 Sep 2019, 00:28 • #12 
Piscator
Trev wrote:
So, on most other forums I use there is a way to attach images direct from the desk top or smart phone; being almost clueless about computers, is that a possibility here?

no

Post 28 Sep 2019, 08:40 • #13 
Piscator
one of my all-time favorite hot-color film shots - pretty sure this was Agfa asa25
Donald and bear tracks, Crescent Lake, Clark Lake Natl Forest, AK
I had both slides and bitmaps from our local lab - both the film and the lab are long gone now (of course I have the slides and bitmaps)
same subject, different perspective

also going to point out it wasn't too long ago postimage let everybody down, dropping every stored photo that was displayed on this and other forums, lost forever, adding their own gap to the archive.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Sep 2019, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.

Post 28 Sep 2019, 09:46 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I was an Ektachrome guy until I moved to Arizona, and Kodachrome was much better for canyonland red rocks. A great film for vivid colors was late in the game, Fuji Velvia.

I had cases of slides and carousels, and tried various methods of scanning them, some professionally, some with hard work by myself. I recently got a small Kodak Scanza scanner which will produce a mediocre but forum-usable image as fast as you can feed them through. I ran a million slides and finally tossed a container full of carousels etc..

Post 28 Sep 2019, 10:25 • #15 
Guide
Awesome photos BD.

Post 28 Sep 2019, 11:22 • #16 
Piscator
thanks, it was a great day, blackflies notwithstanding, and business trips to Alaska are da bomb. First thing your client asks is how you plan to play when the work is done.
If you don't have a plan, they get pissed - I bought you a ticket up here, and you're not going to take advantage of it...
(of course they never said that to me)
I could take up a whole page of photos from that trip alone.
I got to catch 8 silvers, mine, all of Brandon's, and 2 of Donald's - only took home my 3, of course.
we're kinda in a hurry here, mama bear's coming down the beach after us
so we jumped in the boat and moved down to a bar across the river

again, the Agfa 25 and bitmaps

on this trip, spent 2 other days hanging in Cooper, busting in to fish a great spot on Kenai, and the Russian.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Sep 2019, 09:21, edited 5 times in total.

Post 28 Sep 2019, 12:02 • #17 
Guide
Wow! Bulldog what a trip. Your fly reel expertise is eclipsed now by your photography and fishing. A picture is worth a thousand words and many questions. What photo hosting service do you use? How did you scan the prints or slides? What rod were you using and were you using any click-pawl reels?

Post 30 Sep 2019, 08:08 • #18 
Piscator
well, thanks - that's a lot of questions.
That trip, August 2003, I was using an 8-wt that Brandon provided for silvers - I brought along my trusty Fisher Sterling 5/6 and Gunnison, caught rainbows and dollies.
I actually hadn't planned the silvers, but a float for big Kenai rainbows with Brandon - he called me the night before and told me Donald was buying the fly-out and all I had to pay was the price of a float. Well yeah, I'm in...
Here's an '08 trip with a bunch of photos, cane, and click-pawl, and shot entirely on Olympus digital
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5996

btw, if you take tailwater skills to Alaska, and hire a guide, you'll make him look good, and have a friend for life.
My first trip, I hired a float through Gwin's Lodge, and Brandon was assigned as an overflow guide.
Also on the boat was a couple with their son, who demanded all his time - the son got a nice sockeye.
From the very first stop Brandon knew I had skills, and he just pointed me from then on, and let me land my own fish.
That night with my cheeseburger, the waitress told me my 45-rainbow morning was the talk of the lodge, and moved up Brandon's status to full-time guide, and finally started his own business.
It was also funny, the dad didn't get it - the whole float he was accusing Brandon of putting me on fish while denying them.
Quite the opposite was true - they were getting all Brandon's attention and effort - at least after netting my second rainbow.

Also on that first trip, I met the late Kurt Trout, stayed at his motel in Cooper, and bought some great souvenirs from his famous fly shop.
It was actually Kurt who on our first phone contact booked my first random float with Brandon, through Gwin's.

On another trip, I didn't book Brandon, but fished Quartz, the Russian and Kenai again out of Cooper. At my favorite Kenai bust-in spot, Brandon drifted by with a fare, called over he knew me as soon as he saw the hat, and I was on his spot.
Kenai is always an easy thing to do on a work trip through Anchorage, and the drive alone should be on everyone's bucket list.
By the '08 trip I linked, I was a Kenai creek guide, and put my buddy Ewell on tough June rainbows, and even a grayling.

I never scanned my slides, but let my lab do it on their digital film processor - same lab we used for office work.
There was a different lab I used for hand processing and quality prints - they're gone now, too.

found one more question to answer. I have 8000+ photos on photobucket, and have a better database system there than on my hard drives. I started buying bandwidth there when it was $12/yr - they doubled again and again, and I let my subscription lapse when they tried doubling from $50 to $100.
My buddy Jimbo bought the stupid $1000 subscription, but then he doesn't store any of his photos on computer.
I began using free Imgur when The Betrayal occurred, am very happy with the way it functions, but photobucket is still a better database. I began my photobucket subscription again when they again offered $50/yr subscription, which is what I was willing to pay before. But I only upload new photos to Imgur, so I'm only buying bandwidth and archive from photobucket.

Post 02 Oct 2019, 06:22 • #19 
Guide
Thanks Bulldog.

Post 02 Oct 2019, 06:44 • #20 
Piscator
you're welcome - Cooper Landing and all of Sterling Highway has really changed since I first visited there in 2000.
While it's not quite wall to wall business along the length of the highway, all the creeks around Cooper are now subdivided lots - kind of the same thing you see these days in road-accessible parts of the Rockies, but the interest in nabbing Cooper Landing property is probably much greater. What's happened at Cooper is faster than Chama, NM has grown since the early '90s.

Post 02 Oct 2019, 16:46 • #21 
Master Guide
ibookje wrote:
Many of us use Postimage (https://postimages.org) after Photobucket all the sudden changed their use policy.
I'm quite happy with Postimage.

I second that. Works fine

Post 02 Oct 2019, 16:52 • #22 
Piscator
here's yet another option for free photoserver http://www.upl.co/

Post 03 Oct 2019, 07:40 • #23 
Guide
Finally found remedy for Photobuckets blurry photos with water marks right under my nose on this board in thread titled Mechanical Bits post 60. It is not that automatic and requires tweeking with emptying cache and fresh login on ffr and use of chrome or Firefox.

Post 03 Oct 2019, 08:05 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks to the original posters and to you for digging that one up; I haven't got around to trying it myself yet, but if it was helpful to you, great. Here's the post in case it helps others: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=50#p303868

Post 03 Oct 2019, 11:29 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
That fix quit working for me when photo bucket started the watermark stuff.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply