It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:50

New Topic Add Reply
Hello All!
Post 26 Sep 2019, 11:44 • #1 
Good Morning!

I am really thrilled to have found this forum, which I discovered while searching for info on using vintage fly rod sized lures. I'm a history teacher (though I'm in the process of transitioning into a career in computer science - what I should have majored in 30 years ago!), and a happily married father of two grown daughters, as well as being the help for our tribe of friendly cats, :)

I frequently fish in our local ponds and lakes, and about once a month the Mrs and I go camping at one or the other of the state parks here in in Texas. Mostly I fish for bluegill and other warm water species. I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving break when I'll be able to spend a week camping along the Frio River and go after some of our Texas Trout!

I love my fiberglass rods and American-made reels (well, the 7/8 Medalist is overseas made, but the rest are home grown), both using and learning about them. I'm also starting to learn how to tie my own flies.

Again, I'm really pleased to have found this forum, and I'm looking forward to taking part in the discussions!

James

Re: Hello All!
Post 26 Sep 2019, 12:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome aboard James. Although an Okie, I love those Hill Country rivers myself. I fear that your continued exposure to this forum could lead to spending of more and more disposable income on glass rods and fine reels. I'm warning you now while you still have a chance to escape your fate. ;)

Larry

Post 26 Sep 2019, 12:56 • #3 
Inactive
What Larry said . :)

Post 26 Sep 2019, 12:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, jhill71! Re Canoeman's caution: it's too late. ;-)

Post 26 Sep 2019, 14:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
What Tomah said. I can think of several rods an reels that you don't list and that you may need. :)

Post 26 Sep 2019, 14:12 • #6 
Master Guide
Canoeman1947 wrote:
Welcome aboard James. Although an Okie, I love those Hill Country rivers myself. I fear that your continued exposure to this forum could lead to spending of more and more disposable income on glass rods and fine reels. I'm warning you now while you still have a chance to escape your fate. ;)

Larry

Make sure to visit our for sale section

Post 27 Sep 2019, 13:48 • #7 
Thanks for the welcome everybody!

Post 27 Sep 2019, 14:02 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Good rod selection so far.

Post 29 Sep 2019, 09:53 • #9 
Piscator
Welcome James, are you on a GRTU lease? - opens for purchase Oct 1.
Also some great spots to camp along River Road.
My best friend since 6th grade was a hospital pharmacist, and took over computer systems when they went to pharmacy vending.
He now runs IT for his 2nd hospital system (corporation), and does really well.
This is just the outdoor man cathedral - indoor has a pool table and microbrewery

Post 29 Sep 2019, 10:17 • #10 
Sport
Ron, you will be needing to add on to that shop very soon.

Post 29 Sep 2019, 10:37 • #11 
Piscator
not mine, bro - Stevo's man cathedral - it cost most of the other house he sold.
The reason he got permission is now they have a completely empty 3-car garage, excepting cars, facing the other street.
He has another sweeping drive he can park the RV, and is in the national GMC RV directory - others have parked in the man cathedral to make repairs.
The last guy to land there machines and sells GMC conversion systems out of CA, sold Steve a hydraulic brake booster system, which I helped install, and now Whoosh has lock-up brakes. I want to pay some dues to get a Palm Harbor trip or three.

Post 29 Sep 2019, 10:49 • #12 
Sport
Well all I can say is that he married a very understanding woman. I have a 40x60 finished shop, but I have to share mine. I will say I do occupy a majority of the space.

Post 29 Sep 2019, 11:06 • #13 
Piscator
sorry for the sidetrack, guys
yes, she will inherit the 5000 sq-ft home she grew up in, on 4 lots in near northside SA - her mom lives on their ranch near Luchenbach, so he had a spare he had been renting to his ex- until she finally bought hers. So he put the old house into the new man cathedral - it's literally inches in every direction for meeting city code storage shed. She lives for the property outside, and even handles all lawn mowing/maintenance. But then he does all the cooking, and turned 3 rooms into a chef's kitchen. He definitely paid his dues with his ex- and deserves to retire this way.

Post 05 Oct 2019, 05:54 • #14 
Master Guide
Welcome jhill71 from another Texan Fiberglass flyrodder right down the road from you in the Brazosport area.

Post 05 Oct 2019, 09:46 • #15 
@karstopo Thank you very much, sir! That's quite a catch in your avatar!

Post 05 Oct 2019, 10:21 • #16 
Thanks again for the welcome, everybody! The struggle with Gear Acquisition Syndrome is real! Happily (for the Mrs, and my finances) most of my GAS these days is trying out new flies (though I have a lonely Shakespeare Silent Tru Art that needs to be married to an appropriate rod!). As I'm learning to tie my own from a kit, I see that tying can open up a whole new can of GAS worms!

New Topic Add Reply