It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:25

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 May 2009, 06:32 • #76 
Guide
Harley good to hear! PM email to me. Thanx

Post 01 May 2009, 12:22 • #77 
Administrator
Fellows ... do you think if I told the wife I was running to the store to pick something up on Thursday night that she wouldn't miss me when I came back on Monday night? I wonder ...

Post 01 May 2009, 14:20 • #78 
Master Guide
HeHe ... Good luck with that one!

Post 02 May 2009, 08:32 • #79 
Guide
It's worth a try! Image

Post 17 May 2009, 06:48 • #80 
Master Guide
Well, I'm still watching this with great interest. Would love to join up for this. Wife and I usually take 2 weeks in Sept, but her work may push us into Oct. Probably early Oct though, have to see how it plays out. Just picked up a fenwick F85 for the trip!

Mike

Post 19 May 2009, 17:28 • #81 
Sport
Not sure if I'll be able to make it. Have some things I'm dealing with, and not sure I'll be up to fishing at that time. We'll see how things progress. I probably won't know until around September if I'll be up to it or not.

Post 19 May 2009, 19:27 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
hey steelheader,
i hope everything is ok. if you can't make it we'll post pix and good reports for you to read. take care of yourself.
-mike

Post 20 May 2009, 09:34 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Mike, well everything is still looking good here, looking forward to meeting everyone. Might pack a rifle and see if I can hit some of the hunts on the way up as well. Its been 25 years sense I hunted Elk (by special permit) in Cali and hunting them along the coast mountains proofs interesting in Oregon as well. As I remember it if you shot on on the side of a ridgeline you had to go to the bottom and butcher him out there and mostly pitch camp and eat as much as you could for a couple of days while the quarters chilled out, the climb back up was too much for the pack horses.
I always keep my dinner plate, fork and knife handy for that kind of hunting. Rough stuff. The easiest shot I ever made in my life was the worst recovery. We had to repel down a sharp canyon a couple hundred feet and litterally hoist that critter back up. Took us 12 hours to get the bugger back up the 200 feet vertical clift he dropped off. Darn horns caught on everything. It was freezing cold and 1am before we got him up and pitched camp to gut and skin him out and let the meat hang. Guess thats how some memories are made.
Im gonna bring several home made rods along, there first outing, so it will be a fun trip. Might even bring a big boat rod along in case I go all the way to Alaska and get into some Coastal fishing before I head home.
Richard

Post 20 May 2009, 09:43 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
yes, as tempting as it would be never shoot the deer or elk on that next ridge. The recovery has killed folks by heart attack! Best story I have heard is guys doing the main camp deal as Richard noted, got nothing, were exhausted, went back to camp and sat on their stumps. A beauty marched withinn ez sight of camp and one lucky fellow got his elk.

RIchard, sounds like you could write a book next year.

Post 20 May 2009, 11:28 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
Hahaha most likely very true, in the mid Seventies I hunted in Spain at the Invitation of the King of Spain and the younger brother of the Shaw of Iran, I was the #4 finisher that year for an award by Safari Club International. Still have the Certificate somewhere packed away. Molfon Sheep were I believe the game of the day on the private reserve of the King of Spain. Also hunted to get that award with Fin Aragard in old Rodesia and South Africa. Life it does seem leads us to some strange adventures. Ive never left game, regreted that sometimes, like I say we had to eat pretty much of one before we packed it out once and almost killed ourselves in the early 80s packing that one up the clift with repelling equipment and a winch on my 4X4.
Im a firm believer if you shoot it you eat it. Likewise if a fish is damaged, I will eat it, however I use only barbless hooks under many cituations. SMB, Crappie, Bluegill and catfish excluded, we have alot of those fishes here and they are great for dinner.
Ive been in one of of those camps, guys setting in the freezing rain setting on the stumps with wet boots around the fire. They have often beaten me back to camp. If I shoot it I will bring it in. Believe me thats no small thing sometimes. But at least my son has the same ethic and I hope to install it into my grandsons as well.
Richard

Post 20 May 2009, 19:23 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
i agree with rockthief,
you ought to write a book richard. sounds like your trip north this october will be eventful. i'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys and fishing some water i've only heard about. seems like i always have a good time on the water ... and i'm bringing my oldest son to boot.
-mike

Post 17 Jun 2009, 17:58 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
hi Mike, well books take time to write and I make enough spelling and gramatical errors to fill one anyway, but I have lived a very eventful and interesting life. Makes for some fun fireside stories with the young boy scouts while packing up into the Golden Trout Wilderness. I took the boys up for alot of years, setting around the fire with Coyotes howling and mountain lions snarling nearby over a long dead lost cow.
Ive had alot of advertures over the years, both hunting and fishing, luck of the draw, I suspect i was at the right place at the right time for most of it.

So on to our clave, Flygodess shipped my suggested furrled leaders for the clave, Im very impressed, still working on which rods to bring, as well the matching reels, I suspect I will get that together in the next week or two and then order the flys from your local sourses.
So anything new on your guys end as far as licensing fee's or any other changes? I haven't booked yet a local place to sleep but will be doing so soon. Any updates or suggestings that havent been made yet? I will be traveling afar, so looking for a place with good food nearby, near to our clave and accessable.
Likewise if anybody has suggestions for the trip to continue on up the coast at least as far as Juno please let me know via PM, I plan on making it a 10 day to two week trip up the coast and even Farbanks is not out of the question.
Richard

Post 18 Jun 2009, 08:03 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Richard, you write and I will gladly edit. I mean it. Even a stringer full of short stories would be fine. You have had so many wonderful experiences

Post 30 Jun 2009, 17:43 • #89 
Guide
I think I planned this event to far in advance. The wait is killing me. Metolius Fly Fishing & Bamboo rod Fair is coming up though. I will try my best to get some pics up if I see any cool Glass there.

Post 11 Jul 2009, 17:22 • #90 
Sounds cool to me. I will be up for this. And if you are going to the bamboo fest. next weeknd i will be tying there stop by i would love to meet you

Rocky

Post 11 Jul 2009, 19:49 • #91 
Glass Fanatic
hey rocky, hope you are able to make it. -mike

Post 12 Jul 2009, 02:14 • #92 
Thanks Mike i will def. make it. I will be nice to meet new people and take a break from the Ronde. So what is the plan every 1 get together and fish or more like a trad. clave were people are tying flys and so on?

Rocky

Post 12 Jul 2009, 05:09 • #93 
Master Guide
nah Rocky this is a fishing gig first and formost, but you know the usual meet n greet where everyone gets together and B.S.'s prior to fishing ... haha!

Post 16 Aug 2009, 16:37 • #94 
Guide

I'm in! It has been a long year so far and I can't wait for October. Are we getting a group camping site or just staying in the same camp ground?

MS

Last edited by Mountainshark on 16 Aug 2009, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Aug 2009, 17:41 • #95 
Guide
That time of year we should have no problem taking over a whole campground. Image

Post 29 Sep 2009, 16:02 • #96 
Guide
Well all ... The clave is getting close. The last several months have been pure chaos for me and I am really ready for this event. I have one matter I would like to bring up. The fish counts for the Columbia River have been insane! The Steelhead count over Bonneville Dam is well over 500000! Yes 500000! I would like everyones opinion on changing venues. I know the Lower Deschutes River very well and with numbers like this the fishing will surpass the epic run we had in 2001. The trout fishing should also still be good on the river that time of year. This is NOT set in stone and I would really like everyones thoughts. It could be insane. Thanks, Thom

Post 29 Sep 2009, 20:02 • #97 
Glass Fanatic
Thom,
i'd love to hit the deschutes with those #'s and some nice red-sides to be had. there's my 2 cents.
-mike

Post 11 Oct 2009, 07:05 • #98 
Sport
Thom, you are not getting a lot of response to your idea. Changing places is OK with me. Those steelhead counts are downright amazing, it is true. Camping at this time of year will be cold and can be miserable. There will be fewer people out fishing in the Camp Sherman area as opposed to anywhere on the lower Deschutes. Tough choice. I think that the experience will be better at Camp Sherman and that numbers of fish caught COULD be better on the Deschutes. Let's hope you receive more feedback.
Richard

Post 12 Oct 2009, 01:53 • #99 
Administrator
Fellows ... no matter the location I can't wait to see the photos. Don't forget your cameras!

Post 17 Oct 2009, 17:36 • #100 
Master Guide
I hope you guys have a great time. Fishn guy and myself were planning to come up but time constraints reared its ugly head. We will be headed to a private stretch of water about an hour from the house instead. Take some pics, hope we can join up next time.

Mike

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply