It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:47

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Dec 2008, 18:47 • #26 
Guide
Ok let's call it a 4 day weekend Oct/Nov 2009! People can come and go as theie schedules lert them. Awesome! I will start posting links for licenses, lodging, equip., etc. I am really fired-up about this and promise I can put together a trip worth remembering. The two main rivers of focus will be the Metolius River (Bull Trout) and the lower Deschutes River (Steelhead). If you research these rivers you will see they are rich in tradition and have a world-wide reputation as Blue-ribbon waters.

I am going Bull Troutin this weekend so hopefully I will post some good pics.

Later, Thom

Post 03 Dec 2008, 19:38 • #27 
Master Guide
I also would vote for the whole event. I can just go to the inlaws in Goldendale, Wa. and be just a hop, skip, and a jump from the lower Deschutes. So once the specifics get settled I can get a better feel of the wheres, whens, and hows.

By the way, was there for the Thanksgiving holiday and hit the Klickitat on Sat. Didn't do any good, but damn that river was full of boats. Every 100 yds there was a drift coming thru or sitting ... made my day more fusterating! I loved being out there though ...

Post 04 Dec 2008, 13:55 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
i know a fellow at a local flyshop who fishes for Bull Trout on the Metolius frequently. I will get the goods from him this next Saturday especially about fishing for Bulls in Oct/Nov. I think later is better, but not sure.
Paul

Post 04 Dec 2008, 14:43 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
See if you can get any insider info on flys, also if any are available for us travelers Im sure each river is gonna have its own pick of the hatch.
Richard

Post 04 Dec 2008, 16:09 • #30 
Guide
I have about 300+ days on the Metolius in the past 8 years and have been guiding in the area since 1999. I know every nook and crany of the Met. Image The kokanee come up in fall and the Bulls feast on them. Febuary can be better for the Bulls but if we have it in Oct/Nov we have a good shot at steelhead on the Lower D. A fair trade I think. Image I will tie examples of the flies that I fish and also a list of likely suspects. Since we have a year to plan and tie I bet I could have everybody covered as far as large streamers for Bulls goes.

Rockthief, do you live in Eugene? If you are local, anytime you want to come over and give the Bulls a shot, I will take you out. If you want. Image

Harleydeen, Sorry to hear about your frustration. The Klickitat can be a popular one. Some nice Steelies in there though.

Later, Thom

Post 04 Dec 2008, 16:25 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds good, do tie some up and post them. Also let us buy a good selection. I'd rather buy a local hatch selection thats proven, then fish them, take them home and copy them or do my own little things and do them again. About 80% of the good flys I get I just end up tying them and sharing them, but its great to have the locals on hand when your fishing new water.
Whats the local weather like in Oct/Nov? water temps etc. Today airlines charge more for extra weight and baggage, so knowing that will help me gauge if driving would be cheaper. Big Feet, large insulated boots and wadders, wool cloths etc add alot to the cost of flying. Also if Im that far up I might as well fish the Columbia if its open season, even head on up into Washington for a bit of fishing or even take a boat out of Juno. Once on the road with the back of the Jeep packed with tackle and cloths etc, I tend to make it a road trip, often a couple of weeks. One of the big plus things being retired. Boy is that another story.
Richard

Post 04 Dec 2008, 18:59 • #32 
Guide
Richard, I will post links to a few local fly shops I have trust in and are very knowledgable.

Weather in Central Oregon in Oct/Nov:
October is a beautiful time of year to be here. Nights get down to around freezing but day time highs are usually in the 60's with cool mornings and evenings.
By the middle, to end, of November we get our first dusting of snow but day time highs can still be in the 50's.

I feel the clave should be end of Oct/ beginning of Nov. That way have a better chance of good weather and fresher Steelhead in the Lower D.

Water temps:
The Metolius is a giant spring creek. It flows at around 1400 cfs and 42 degrees year round. Rarely does that change. I have seen the river dirty twice and both time the Bull trout fishing was spectacular.
The Lower Deschutes is a large river that is best broken down into slower water. Staying close to the bank and looking for walking speed water 2-4' deep. It is dam controlled but has to maintain flows to protect salmon and steelhead. Normal flows that time of year are around 4000cfs and 52 degree water temp.

Hope this helps, Thom

Post 05 Dec 2008, 21:38 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
thanks thom, in addition to meeting up with the guys next fall, i'm looking forward to heading down to OR to check it out beforehand. thanks for the invite! -mike
flynbird wrote:

Mike, Let me know when you are going to be in the area. Redmond is about 2.5 hours southeast of Portland. I would love to take you fishing around here. There is usually some place to go year'round.

Cam, Redmond has a pretty good airport. portland is the biggest in our state but you have too rent a car and drive from there. Redmond has connecting flights from Vegas, Salt Lake, Portland and Seattle and maybe a few others. Looking up airfare cost? Image

I can get a group rate at a good hotel in Bend if I can get a nice sized group together. Was thinking of renting a crew van to get the gang from venue to venue and do pick-up and drop offs. The food in Bend is outstanding and the land is amazing. I think it is a great idea and hope we can get something together.

Later, Thom

Post 06 Dec 2008, 19:11 • #34 
Guide
Mike just let me know when your comin. Image

Here are a few links to a few fly shops:
The first is The Patient Angler. The owners name is Pete and he is quit possible the nicest and most knowledgable shop owner I have meet. If there is really something I am looking for this is my go-to guy.
His link is: http://www.patientangler.com/index.php
This next one is the closest shop to the Metolius River, so naturally they got it dialed: http://www.flyfishersplace.com/home23
These guys do more days on the Lower Deschutes than practically anyone I can think of check'em out: http://www.theriffleflyshop.com/Fly+Fishing

Well I hope this get people going on flies and such.

I should mention also that there is no guiding legally allowed on the Metolius River. This equals less pressure. This is good. Image

Later, Thom

Post 08 Dec 2008, 08:18 • #35 
Administrator
I just ran airfare from Charlotte, NC to Portland, OR for the last weekend in October and the fare was $233. I wonder how the wife would feel about spending our 10 year anniversary at the BULL TROUT CLAVE! HA ... I already know the answer to that question.

Post 08 Dec 2008, 18:35 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron, Portland shopping. Good, very good shopping. You fish, she shops, you meet somehow somewhere.

Post 08 Dec 2008, 18:38 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
actually, Bend shopping. Nice city. Close to the Metolius and the Bulls. Image

Post 12 Dec 2008, 18:31 • #38 
Sport
Thom,

Rodblank here. We have discussed the bulls on the Met in an earlier thread. I'm here in Eugene and would love to get in on a bull/metalhead clave. I have a ever changing and hectic schedule, but with this much advanced notice I will be able to work it out. As a fellow Oregonian, maybe I could help you with the planning, etc. Should we give a thought to renting some of the small cabins/rooms near camp Sherman? Let me know if you want to exchange e-mail addresses or phone numbers to discuss the clave.

Craig

Post 12 Dec 2008, 19:58 • #39 
Guide
Thanx rodblank. The cabins would be a pretty sweet idea. Don't know about the pricing. Was definitely thinking about renting a crew van to shuttle guys around. I would also like to get e gathering of PNW Glassers going sooner. Always lookin for new fishin friends. -Thom

Post 19 Dec 2008, 13:34 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Guys,
find out about cabin pricing for us Thom, number of beds etc, been snowed in early this year, a number of hard storms, so no power or phones till today, not that I mind alot did get about a gross of flys tied and two rods wrapped. So whats the best rod weights and lines for Bull fishing? I'll have to count on you guys to pickup some of the proper flys, perhaps you could message me as to whats available and at what price, I would have no problem paying you to pick me up a goodly selection.
Also what about meals if we are staying in Cabins? I will be driving my gas efficent one wheel drive jeep wagon up if the weather is good, lots of great gas mileage. On the other hand I have some very 8mpg go anywhere including the rubicon 4X4s but then it might get cheaper to fly up. Anyway Im looking forward to a nice rod trip next year. Perhaps on up to Seatle and beyond once on the road.

Cameron, have you priced Southwest Airlines? Im a card carrying member and the fairs are pretty cheap. Also if their are major stops elsewhere for you, I will be passing though either Sacramento or Oakland, both have airports and I know Southwest uses Oakland alot for discount fairs. I could use a Co-driver. Although I would suspect that a stop or two along the way for a bit of fishing would add a day or two to the drive up. Sense it just might be that the Salmon are running then. the mouth of the Trinity River, the Rogue and a few others will be along the route.

Anyway lets keep it going, I would love to see a west coast clave as a regular

Richard

first nights snow in the driveway, my vw bug, and my rubicon 4#4

driveway used to be between those two trees

The Lake and river are right down there in the clouds, the lake and river there are at 2700 feet, Im above snowline at 5200 ft and a mile and 1/4th walk down

Three foot of snow has melted and you can now see the lake

normally I walk down to the lake and rivers edge, (my side) to fish, its sort of a yearly thing, however these storms came almost 6 weeks early and we have two more backed up for Sunday and Monday. Oh well how many flys can I tye and how many rods can I wrap?

Post 19 Dec 2008, 18:11 • #41 
Sport
I am interested in joining in on the fun. I know it is a long of day of driving from Sacramento to Bend. Visited Sunriver resort 10+ years ago with the family. Just need to know the dates and see what is happening at work. I will keep and eye on the thread and start working on my better half. Bill

Post 20 Dec 2008, 15:40 • #42 
Guide
We would love to have you Bill. Keep check'n in here. As time goes on I will be posting alot of info.

Richard, All weight rods. Bring a wide range. For the Bulls you will need something stout, like at least an 8 or 9. Steelhead 6-8. Lots of trout opportunities! I posted links for some shops so you can look for a good local selection.

later, Thom

Post 21 Dec 2008, 09:25 • #43 
Master Guide
Been watching this post with interest myself. Trying to figure if I can get away. Being self employed means I usually am working lots of hours about then to make up for the slowdown at Christmas time. Hoping for the best!

Mike

Post 21 Dec 2008, 17:09 • #44 
Guide
Hope to have you Mike!

Post 05 Jan 2009, 06:12 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Thom,
Getting caught up from our first big storm set and melt, so what kind/style of gear, full sinking lines? streamer style weighted leaders? sounds like with the size of the bulls a farely heavy tippet attached to a good furrled tapered leader is in order? Would an Intermediate sinking work well? how about a floating line sinking tip style? whats the normal water depth we are trying to target for those Bulls?
Im thinking of bringing a 10-11wt, an 8-9wt a 6-7wt and a 4-5wt to cover the road trip up. Hopefully I will run into some coastal salmon and steelhead runs up around the mouths of the Trinity, Klamoth and Rouge on the drive up, so want to bring ample gear to cover the bases.
Let me know what line types work best, I want to preload my reels and get some casting practice in this summer so that Im comfortable with the way each rod casts and feels before I leave.
Richard

Post 31 Jan 2009, 22:48 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
glad you posted here again richard. the "new" message icon caught my attention and i re-read the entire thread again. i hope i can make time to drive down once beforehand!

Post 01 Feb 2009, 18:45 • #47 
Guide
Richard, I use a 6 foot piece of Rio T-14 looped to my fly line and 3 foot of straight 10lb looped to the T-14. It really gets the fly down, NOW. But any extra heavy sink-tip will do. Water depth, where the bulls like to hang out, is 4-6 feet. The Metolius has a very strong flow so getting down is the key.

Post 17 Feb 2009, 18:42 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Hi been snowed in with little or none internet, (dialup) worst winter in over 100 years here. Anyway one of the rods Im bringing is a true 7wt, been working on reel/line combinations. Thus far a 7wt Orvis Wonderline generation II sinking compensated III with a beartooth Leadcore braided furrled leader and semi short included tippet seems to take my heavy wets to the bottom in semi fast water, so how fast is the water we are to expect? I can switch to Density compensated V but dont want to get stuck in the river bottom rocks. The Lead core furrled tapered leader really drops the fly with the above line.
I can go to an 11 or 12wt rod with the above mentioned Density V type lines for near river washout conditions for Salmon and Steelhead, and I will bring along at least one such rod, so just need to get an idea on exactly what you guys think will work best.
Im still planning on being there, any idea what the flow we should expect during our little clave?
Richard
Been playing with knotted tippets just for this application, 20#-15#-10# so understand your comments

Last edited by flyfishing4goldentrout on 17 Feb 2009, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Feb 2009, 14:12 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Richard, unless you are going for chinook salmon the 11wt will be over kill. If you were to bring but one rod it would be a 7 wt. Some guys fish for bulls regularly using a 5 wt. SOmetimes the bulls are clsoe in just a few feet from shore so a lob or a rollcast will do.

Post 18 Feb 2009, 14:41 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Well I am hoping to run into some really big Salmon on the road trip up, have no idea how they have been runnng along the coastal areas. Its been years sense Ive hooked into over 30 pound Salmon though. Might even run up as far as the Columbia River weather and gas prices allowing. Gas prices have been going crazy here, its already up to $2.40 a gallon for regular and everytime I get down to go to the store etc its up another $.10 to. 25 yet the crude price keeps falling? something wrong with my math I guess.
Im retired so I most likely will make it a week to two week road trip anyway.
Richard

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply