It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 May 2019, 11:49 • #1 
Well I hope I’m doing this right I have quite a few Fenwick vintage flyrods all in great condition I never fly fished so I’m lost on what they are worth I would appreciate any help thank you and a couple orvis and Garcia Mitchell all have tubes and Sox no reels on them my uncle left them for my sister and me.

Garcia Mitchell 2 piece 7121 A ultralight 5’ 1/16 -1/4 oz 1-6 lb line

Garcia Conolon live fiber 2 piece 5 1/2 light action fast taper

2450 FENWICK! Pls 74-4 5 piece 7’ 6 3/4oz 8-15 lb line

FF858-5 5 piece 8 1/2 4 1/8oz no 8

FF756 2 piece 7 1/2 3oz no 6 FF755 2 piece 7 1/2 3 1/8oz no5

FS65-4 4 piece 6 1/2 4 1/8 oz 4-8lb line

Sundance 1 piece graphite 101 5’ 6 line wt1/4 -5/8oz

Any information would be a big help

Post 05 May 2019, 12:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
None of them are worth a great deal when put up for sale.

I'm unfamiliar with the casting and spinning rods, but
No individual rod is worth more than $100 and most are worth significantly less.

However the Fenwick fly rods are great fishing tools and I am guessing the some of the spinning rods would be too.

Post 05 May 2019, 13:45 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The Garcia ultralights might fetch 75 if condition is good.The fenwick and garcia are both nice to fish with spinning rods.Fish them and if you dont like them sell them .

Post 05 May 2019, 14:33 • #4 
Master Guide
How do have that many rods from that era never fished?
Big Red Flag for me.... especially from a new member .

Go on eBay and type those in, there’s your answer right there.

Post 05 May 2019, 16:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I'll just say that the new member, if receiving unsolicited offers, should be very cautious. Similarly, when folks don't know each other, a post about rods needs to viewed with caution before making a too-eager private contact. However, attracting offers usually isn't the purpose of such posts, and looking to buy from someone unaware of what he has isn't the reason we read and reply to the posts. See the Buyer's guide at the FS guidelines.

I routinely delete or edit posts if they appear to be disguised for-sale teases. I don't think so in this case because of the need to edit the post for clarity in identifying the rods, because such rods are commonly around in "great condition," (they weren't described as "new" or "never fished") and because the rods are everyday models of the time. Good, usable models, but not the high dollar, scammer kind. Because of the buyer's guide and sales guidelines, we don't get much of that anyhow.

And folks unfamiliar with fishing tackle can easily overestimate the condition without any misleading intent. Inherited fishing tackle may very well be in great condition. The more there is, the more possible this is.

This is the welcome/FAQ section. The question appears sincerely asked in hopes of learning more.
Two people inherited an uncle's rods, and found a good source to ask about some of it. So we can answer the question without being wary. Caution is for internet sales, but this is just a routine question from someone who wants to know.

My guess would be the uncle hoped someone in the family could use them. Certainly that would be their greatest value. I don't recognize any as having a high dollar value. The owners may want to search Ebay for similar rods; if Ebay members, they can use the "advanced search" option to check completed sales.

Post 05 May 2019, 16:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Well, he did say “great condition,” rather than “never fished.” Which, especially from someone who says he has never fly fished, may not mean a lot.

So, back to the requested advice, if you’re going to sell through the internet, pictures you can post are going to be very important. Especially detail on rod markings, reel seats, grips, ferrules, etc., and the tubes and socks. Condition matters to buyers.

That said, I suspect you’d be very lucky to get an average of $100 a rod. The Fenwick fly rods are good, and welll regarded here, but even if one breaks $100 it only is offset by a spinning rod at $75, or less.

So if you thought you might get a decent used car out of these, It’s unlikely. My usual advice - if you’re at all interested in fishing - is to use them for that. The FF755 and F756 should be good for trout and panfish, and the five piece FF858-5 could be a fun travel rod for bass, etc., and I’d certainly try the spinning rods before passing them along. You can always sell them later.

EDIT: And I just saw whrlpool’s post, but since I’d already written this, I’ll leave it, instead of just saying “ditto.”

Post 05 May 2019, 18:55 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Give them to someone who will remember your uncle and smile when they are using them. They aren't worth a whole lot of cash, but they can provide a connection to him.

My numbers were basically an upper limit, some won't even buy a case of beer, and combined they might make a car payment.

Post 05 May 2019, 19:18 • #8 
Master Guide
The FF755 is one of Fenwick’s best dry-fly tapers, according to some of us, and in a really great configuration for classic fiberglass; still not a particularly valuable rod, though, except as a fishing tool. The four piece spin rod is not super common, and with original sock and tube might get a tad more than you’d expect -
but, like others have already said, the value of these rods mostly resides in your family’s history and with their utility as tools.

Post 05 May 2019, 20:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If neither of you fish or want to fish, maybe the next generation will and the family connection/history will be passed down. Or his past fishing buddies might like to put them to use. I agree pretty much with others that these are users, sentimental value as high as sales value; but some pictures as mentioned above will let more accurate appraisals be made, or you can simply search the model numbers on auctions, especially completed auctions and get a feel for the market is on each.

Post 10 May 2019, 18:10 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Nice usable rods if you want to get into fishing but barely worth selling given this is unfamiliar territory for you - which implies you will almost certainly have to invest time and effort.
You can either put in the time and do the research on what you actually have and then have the patience to sell the rods individually for maybe an avg. of $75 per rod or put the entire batch up for sale for $150 and leave it at that.

Good luck and I hope you choose to go fishing and stick around on the forum!

New Topic Add Reply