It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Mar 2019, 23:48 • #1 
Hello again,
I’m Steve from Seattle, and it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here.... Getting back into fiberglass as I mainly fish bamboo nowadays. I still have my very first fly rod, a 7’6” 5wt Phillipson built in 1966. My cousin Ross worked at Shoffs Tackle in Kent Wa in the 60’s-70’s building rods and tying flies. He built my dad and I these rods for $20 each! I fished mine way more than my dad and it darkened in color from a pumpkin pie color to a brownish orange. For some dumb reason 30 years ago my rod was the second rewrap job....I used a horrible bright orange with big black trim wraps. :eek So now I figured it was time for a much needed makeover, while carefully stripping the ugly wraps, the paint peeled off in places! What to do? I sanded the rest of the paint to expose a cool creamy off white blank. Kinda like that so a Ray Lee reelseat, new cork, agate stripper and ? color wraps will be my next project. Pictures to follow. I have a dozen glass rods, including my dad’s Phillipson in excellent condition, a Winston FL, several vintage Lami’s and others. Well, thanks for having me back....phew! :P

Post 13 Mar 2019, 08:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for reintroducing your self. Great history on the Phillipsons. I thought of moving your post to the rod-building section, but it includes general info for welcoming that all will enjoy.

If you decide to post your rebuild question in the Rodbuilding section, you'd get plenty of helpful information, and we'd get to follow the process.

Post 13 Mar 2019, 08:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome back!

Post 13 Mar 2019, 08:17 • #4 
Sport
Hello Steve! Welcome back to the forum.

Post 13 Mar 2019, 09:46 • #5 
Thanks! I’ll post the build in the rod building section....

Post 13 Mar 2019, 11:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Welcome Back What Was Your Handle When You Were Here Before ??
The now Nude Phillipson blank will need some protection from U.V. Rays, also as a slight buffer from hook strikes and such a stream.
A few coats of a Clear Water Based Wood Sealer/Finish will work best and stay clear rather than having spar yellowing.

Hind site being 20/20 you might have done better retiring your old rod for old time sake,Maybe picking up the less abused rod of your Dads and fishing with it for the same reason,sort of as a tribute.

At least that's how I feel when I fish with anything my Dad owned sort of privileged I guess.
As they say what ever makes you/us happy !!!

I'll look forward to seeing your Nude Phillipson getting all cleaned up.
If you need any help be sure and contact me I'll be glad to lend a hand if I can.
Acetone will really do a great job (the best) of prepping the blank for a clear coat.

Tight Lines And Father And Son Phillipson Loops
Andy M

Post 13 Mar 2019, 17:47 • #7 
Hi Andy,
I’ve forgotten so many things...old age. Just glad to be back! Thanks for the sealer tips, I rubbed a few coats of Tru Oil....didn’t do much. What brand of sealer do you recommend? This rod still wants to be fished, and looking better. I’m not too sentimental, rather have fun! I still have the Pflueger 1494 that went with it.
I have 60+ bamboo rods and graphite rods...so a lot sitting around since I can only take three when fishing lakes. I used my dad’s last weekend and released some nice fish with a 21” cutthroat being the largest. Sweet bend in the rod....

Post 13 Mar 2019, 20:09 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome back, 66 Phillipson! Looking forward to seeing the rod as you progress.

Post 14 Mar 2019, 02:47 • #9 
Master Guide
Welcome back.

Post 14 Mar 2019, 09:41 • #10 
Thank you all for the kind welcome backs.

Last edited by 66 Phillipson on 19 Mar 2019, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Phillipson Remake
Post 14 Mar 2019, 11:43 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Always happy to help out one of our members with tackle tinkering questions,nice to see returning members !
Was going to bump up an old topic to answer questions about Water based Clear Finishes when I realized I hadn't answered the question about brands back then.
When folks read my old posts you will notice that occasionally I left details out,reason being I don't think anyone has educated his competitors more than I.
In fact many have told me that if it wasn't for my sharing my rod making techniques they would have never gotten past being assemblers.

Another reason I held back details and techniques is I didn't want the responsibility for anyone's misadventures,Say John Doe makes a mess using a material I recommend,or a technique I share.
Next John Doe holds a grudge and every opportunity he gets he tries to stab me in the back.
One of the costs of being nice helping out.

"Deft" Exterior Gloss purchased on line is what I used in my water based dip tube.It's got the U.V. protection we need for fishing rod applications.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DEFT-PPG-ARC ... thena=true
Also used the Minwax Polycrylic as a color preserver of sorts,as thread finish,however be aware it is intended for indoor use,no UV protection as far as I know so I always finished with a clear final coat of the Deft.
https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/cl ... ive-finish

Looking Forward To Seeing Your Project Unfold !!

Tight Lines And Phillipson Loops
Andy M
PS Here is a link to a Naked Phillipson Topic from a few years back ,this prompted others to try a hand in stripping paint projects,thankfully it wasn't a lasting trend,if you search you can find other topics that feature stripping Phillipson Paint ;)
Sorry for the absence of pictures it was a problem with negative cash flow.

https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43620

Post 14 Mar 2019, 22:20 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Great link Andy. Going to track down the posts about stripping phillipson paint. I have a rod that needs stripped and repainted.

Post 25 Mar 2019, 12:54 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
From one old man to another...welcome back!

Post 25 Mar 2019, 20:25 • #14 
Thanks backing1

Post 08 Apr 2019, 00:36 • #15 
I’ve been having a blast with my dad’s Phillipson. At a local lake in two outings I released over 100 new planters. Today, five trout over 3 lbs and one sweet 2.5 lb bass. All with a type 3 sink and leeches.

Post 08 Apr 2019, 07:35 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Glad to hear! Well done.

Post 08 Apr 2019, 10:05 • #17 
Guide
Welcome back

Post 13 Apr 2019, 12:47 • #18 
The rod is done....I went with light green wraps with a single black trim wrap, darker green accents and a green agate guide. Looks good, now I need to fish it! Not paying for photobucket.....so pictures?

Post 13 Apr 2019, 17:16 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Postimige.org or flicker seem to be decent alternative that are still free for now.

Post 13 Apr 2019, 22:47 • #20 
Thanks carlz, I'll give flicker a try....hmmmm? I still need help please. How do I access my flicker account to post pictures here?

Post 14 Apr 2019, 21:31 • #21 
I re-broke in the rod today....21 stocked trout with the biggest being 15” all on chironomids under an indicator. The rod performed flawlessly, a joy to cast, now I need some bigger fish.....

Post 14 Apr 2019, 22:40 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
In Flickr, upload your picture. Then share, and copy the text of the link.

Then in the post, enter an IMG tag and copy the text in there. (I didn't test this today, but something similar worked for me in the past).

Someone should do a new topic to show how to do this, now that photobucket has become more problematic.\
for posting a couple of images, postimg.cc is easier for me.

New Topic Add Reply