It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Feb 2019, 10:29 • #1 
Master Guide
I really enjoy the "Rod Photos" posts and do not suggest that goes away. But it seems to me that sub site could still flourish as a medium for collectibles and old favorites.

A now sub site dedicated to new custom rods by the many artists -- pros and hobbyists -- who post here could stimulate dialogues on trends in custom rod making and give newcomers -- like myself -- a convenient place to see and compare custom rods on offer and thus sharpen their choices in next acquisitions. I'd be tempted to restrict it to individual craftsmen as opposed to big companies but that's above my pay grade.

Your thoughts?

Heddonist

Post 04 Feb 2019, 10:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't be interested, I like the photos posted here , but wouldn't go looking for them else where.
I don't really understand though what you mean by a sub site- each forum is a "sub site" as far as I understand it, the admin doesn't let off topic threads be posted in them. I've seen topics moved to the proper forum. So, what I think you are suggesting is a separate website using the same Admins? a spinoff?
I doubt the 'glass community is large enough to support multiple versions of this board, when I've seen this happen in other boards, it split the user group. Resulting, imho, in a loss of the original boards as they existed.

"a medium for collectibles and old favorites." viewforum.php?f=3

Post 04 Feb 2019, 12:02 • #3 
Master Guide
Trev,

My cyber jargon knowledge is abyssmal so any misunderstandings are on me.

I am not urging "multiple versions" just suggesting another place to go within the current forum that would be the same as Rod Photos.

The new "sub-site" -- or whatever to call it -- hopefully would use photos too but go beyond pictures and complements to include some more extensive dialogues on the features, fishing characteristics etc. of specific custom rods currently being made.

Heddonist

Post 04 Feb 2019, 12:12 • #4 
Piscator
I'm sure the way the forum was designed, Collecting is about venerable rods, Glass Tech is about new, What's New is specifically for makers, and Rod Photos overlaps them all. However, if Steve was moving threads to that rule, he wouldn't have time to go fishing.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 04 Feb 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Feb 2019, 12:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Gosh, I think we're covered among Rod Photos, Fishing with... Collecting . . . and Rod Building. Any of the latter three sections can and do include pics, and a discussion of fishing characteristics often develops.

I'm not sure how it could be made more distinctly categorized; there is some normal overlap, and a rigid set of "rules" doesn't apply to how posts are placed in these sections. We do move a post or topic once in a while, rarely because of a simple mistake in choosing the section, but usually not because the post isn't somewhat relevant where it was made, but on a guesstimate that it will gain even more interest where it is placed.

Two suggestions for convenience and speed of access. In creating a topic, use a specific, interest-arousing subject line. And in searching, try a variety of queries, and use the "search these results" function if you turn up too many posts to review.

I saw bulldog's post as I finished this one, and, yes, if I just got a collectible Winston 'glass rod and I see a new post about a similar rod in the "Fishing with . . ." section, I will probably go fishing with mine before I think about moving the post to "Collecting . . .."

Post 04 Feb 2019, 16:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Agree that the Tech forum captures the new and custom category. Adding categories can increase, not reduce, uncertainty about content placement. In fact, I'd argue that we could dispense with the Photos forum, so that pics would always go with the write-up about whatever rod. This is not a proposal; the admins should spend their time fishing.

Post 04 Feb 2019, 21:12 • #7 
Sport
Have you thought about posting pictures on rodbuilding.org? That site seems to address what you are looking for.

New Topic Add Reply