It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:56

New Topic Add Reply
Greetings from Detroit
Post 10 Jan 2019, 09:55 • #1 
Sport
Hello Everyone!

New member here and I look forward to learning from and contributing to the forum.

I've been flyfishing about 5 years now, the last 2 with glass (my wife bought me a 3wt CGR for Christmas back in 2016 which turned this hobby into an addiction).

I primarily fish small streams, ponds, and lakes in the Metro-Detroit area and am always looking to improve my casting ability and general fishing knowledge.

If anyone knows any good spots or fly fishing groups in the area, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again for the add,

Bryan

Post 10 Jan 2019, 10:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Kata2012!

Post 26 Jan 2019, 17:26 • #3 
Guide
Greetings!
I'm originally from Dearborn Heights myself. This is a good group to look into https://mffc.org/ the MidWest flyfishing expo they host is a great time.
Lots of great water in SE Michigan. The Huron is world class for Smallmouth. Check out http://schultzoutfitters.com/ for local intel.

Post 26 Jan 2019, 18:14 • #4 
Sport
Greetings from a former Michigander!
I want to echo the Huron river, great access in some of the metro parks.
Nice smallie fishing and you will eventually hear about carp and the mulberry "hatch".
Also a bit further afield, the Flint River and the Shiawassee River, also both good for smallies.
If you feel like trout, then Paint Creek, although it is small and not alot of room for backcasts.
None of these are secret places, so best to not fish on weekends if you want to avoid the crowds.
Don't overlook lake fishing for bluegills and bass; basically anywhere there is water you will find willing bluegills.
richard

Post 29 Jan 2019, 16:33 • #5 
Guide
Welcome

Post 29 Jan 2019, 16:57 • #6 
Master Guide
Left Detroit in 67 but prior to that I did a lot of fly fishing in close to Detroit, mostly 'inland' lake fly fishing. Pine lake near Orchard Lake excelled in LM bass fishing. Several lakes were deep and cold enough to hold trout -- Macedy Lake was one. Pike, perch, and walleye were to be had around the northeast side of Anchor Bay. And there are guides now who specialize in fly fishing for muskies on Lake St Clair and big lake run trout in Lake Huron. Way back then there were even some limited steel head runs in unlikely near-in spots like the Clinton River.

For moment there I was wondering why I ever left. Oh yeah, I remember.

Heddonist

Post 09 Feb 2019, 07:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
There is a nice show in Detroit March 9-10. Should also a be a good place to learn. I will be there with a buddy helping him in his booth.

Bob

Post 14 Feb 2019, 21:20 • #8 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum.

New Topic Add Reply