It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Aug 2008, 07:55 • #1 
Inactive

A good friend of mine lost a glass rod that I made for him. He was fishing on the Boardman River at Forks Camp Ground. He accidentally left the rod on his roof when leaving the stream. This was around Aug 6th. The rod was one of my 10th Anniversary rods with nickel silver ferrules and also had a Ross reel attached. The rod is signed:
McFarland Rod Company 1997-2007
10 Year Rod 6'9" 3 wt No.1 of 10
This is a special rod and has a good amount of sentimental value to myself as well as the owner. My guess is that someone found it and has no idea what it is. So if you see it for sale or if any of you shop owners/employees have someone come in looking for info on a rod please keep me in mind. The owner is willing to pay a reward. If anyone has any information please contact me at ***email address removed***

Thanks,
Mike McFarland

Post 14 Aug 2008, 11:28 • #2 
Emeritus
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

My, oh my. That's a tragic loss. I hope the rod is found and returned.

Joe C.

Post 14 Aug 2008, 13:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My best wishes for the recovery of that rod! There are good people out there, and there are people that say "finders keepers". I once left a fishing vest given to me by my wife, full of bass and pike flies tied by my brother, on the edge of a parking lot in a Colorado sstate park. Nobody turned it in. Now I always do a "senility walkaround" as my friends call it, to make sure it is all in the vehicle! Tough lesson to learn. I really hope your friend gets that very special rod back. Good luck to him/her.

wacokid54

Post 14 Aug 2008, 16:18 • #4 
Guide
It doesn't hurt to call the local fly shops. Rusty's shop in Grayling has a lost and found that's pretty up to date. The shops up north may be as sharp.
-Jim

Post 15 Aug 2008, 05:25 • #5 
Emeritus
OMG Mike- how do you spell b-u-m-m-e-r?

Wish I lived up that way and could be more helpful but will keep an eye out online.

Post 15 Aug 2008, 05:52 • #6 
Inactive
Thanks everyone for the help. I know it is a long shot, but you never know. I think a lot of people are honest enough to return a rod if they have any information on how to do it. I sent an email to Bob Summers who's shop is in Traverse City and he said he would put a post in a couple tackle stores. Keep me posted if you hear anything.
Thanks,
Mike

Post 15 Aug 2008, 07:27 • #7 
I'll be up fishing the Platte and Boardman rivers Aug 22 - 29. I'll keep my eye out and check the local paper's FOR SALE section. I'll also ask around at the local fly shops when I visit them.

That's a real tough loss. I just purchased my first McFarland glass rod a few weeks ago and I am going to give it's first fish on these rivers. My rod doesn't have the same sentimental value as this rod, but someday it will. Hopefully this special rod will turn up soon!

Post 15 Aug 2008, 07:43 • #8 
I just checked the on-line copy of the Traverse City http://www.record-eagle.com/

The rod wasn't listed in Lost & Found - maybe placing an ad there might bring results. I also checked the For Sale section with no luck.

Worth a try on something so special ...

Post 15 Aug 2008, 10:25 • #9 
Master Guide
I hope its found. If a flyfisher finds it I bet it'l some how be returned. If not, e-bay is the fastest moving of something when going local wouldn't be to smart if their the finder keeper types. I'll keep my eyes peeled as well.

Ray ...

Post 15 Aug 2008, 14:30 • #10 
Glass Fanatic

Does Craigs list have a lost and found? Might be worth a shot..

Post 15 Aug 2008, 15:20 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Wow a real heart breaker for you and your friend for sure,
Have you contacted whatever authority that administers that particular campground? At least out here, California designates a camp host on the larger campgrounds, usually an older couple with a trailer that has used the site as guests repeatedly and is retired. In turn they "administer" the camp, notify the forest service if there is a problem or need for repair etc. In exchange they receive free camping rights without charge for the summer, free propane and water and if available (campground facilities not hookups) electrical and phone for the duration. It works well they walk threw the camp several times a day and help everyone and in turn should something happen like happened to your friend, they would have been given the rod most likely to turn into and notify the forest service office lost and found.
Likewise have you or your friend accessed any authority that might be policing the roadways out of the area of the campground. I once drove off with a flat bass fly box on my bumber and found it later walking the road side more than a mile from the parking lot.
Lastly if he is really lucky another fly fisherman found it and I would venture its a 99% chance that if he finds a way to return it he will. Ive found over the years fly fisherman, or really any real fisherman will return lost items if they can and they do make an effort, (not the weekend drunk and druggies using fishing as a way to get to a safe place to abuse their habits here, but real fishermem and ladies), we have alot of those here so they do exist. But like most of our members, I think I can speak for the community here, each and every one of us would be doing everything we could if we found a rod like that in order to return it.
Richard

Post 16 Aug 2008, 00:29 • #12 
Emeritus
Following Jeffsod's lead, I scanned the craigslist.com lost and found and sporting goods listings back to August 6th and found nothing. I would urge Mike or the rod's owner to list the rod in the area's lost and found section as the list's readership can be impressive.

Just as an example, I offered two pieces of Arts & Crafts furniture from my home on the list this past Thursday afternoon and sold them both on Friday morning. I hope the rod turns up one way or another.

Post 17 Aug 2008, 12:50 • #13 
Administrator
This is very sad news. I hope it surfaces.

Post 02 Sep 2008, 02:16 • #14 
While I was in Traverse City last week I checked at the local fly shop - The Northern Angler - to see if anyone had stopped by with the rod. No one had yet and I gave the owner (Kirk Novak) the details on the rod and Mike McFarlands phone number as the point of contact in case the rod shows up in the future. Hopefully it will ...

Post 02 Sep 2008, 15:04 • #15 
Inactive
Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

Mike

New Topic Add Reply