It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Aug 2008, 22:27 • #1 
Master Guide
Hey Guys
I heard some interesting news at my Fly-Fishing Club last night (Ft Worth Flyfishers).
Rick Pope was the guest speaker and during his presentation he mentioned that TFO is now selling a line of fiberglass rods. They incorporated them into their Finesse series of rods.
They are based on TFO's 2 piece, 6'-9", 5/6 wgt; S-glass blanks (SG-II). As soon as Rick sends me one I'll get some photos posted.
Below are a couple of photos of the SG II

Rod

Rod sock and Logo

Post 05 Aug 2008, 22:57 • #2 
Master Guide
Barry,
Is it the same exact blank that a few of us have built rods on?

Post 05 Aug 2008, 23:38 • #3 
Master Guide
Dane
Yep, it's built on the same blank. I forgot to ask Rick if they changed any of the components/thread wraps that were used on the SGII, but whether they did or not, it's still the same blank.

Post 06 Aug 2008, 00:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
He also mentioned that the offical news release will come in two weeks-. I guess you guys can wait a while to hear it from TFO Image

Post 06 Aug 2008, 01:21 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That is interesting. I thought TFO decided not to use those blanks, because they turned out faster and more powerful than intended. It doesn't make a lot of sense to market them as finesse rods.

I finally got around to building a rod on the blank that I bought. I've been test casting it to see if it needs a line taming guide. It definitely casts better with a 6 wt line (that is probably more like a 6.5 wt). It feels a lot like a mini TFO TiCr, but it will tip cast just a few feet of line. It should be a great rod for hill country bass and perch.

Post 06 Aug 2008, 01:56 • #6 
Master Guide
bassackwards,
try it with a wf7. you'll be amazed at the control and it will slow the rod down too.

Post 06 Aug 2008, 02:37 • #7 
Administrator
Interesting. Did they build rods from the available blanks, or did they manufacture more of them? I was told the original run was only a couple hundred blanks. And to be honest, none of the 3 blanks I handled was cosmetically perfect.

I agree with beau, try the rod with 7 weight line. It can cast with a 5 or 6, but it feels really fast with the 5 and it's still quick with the 6. But compared to tip action graphite, I suppose it might have "finesse". I still want to see this material made into a 9/10 weight saltwater stick.

Tom

Post 06 Aug 2008, 04:09 • #8 
Master Guide
Bass
I use a 6 wgt Headstart line on mine (like you said really a 6-1/2 wgt) and for me it's perfect. But I guess if one prefers a slower feeling rod, going to a 7 wgt would also work.

Tom
Rick never mentioned whether they were going to be built on existing stock or on freshly rolled blanks.
The blanks that I've built/handled have been fine cosmetically, perhaps the blanks you saw/handled had been mishandled and/or were blems.

Post 06 Aug 2008, 04:32 • #9 
Master Guide
If they were looking to hit the 5/6 wt mark, wouldn't making it a 8 or 8 1/2 footer on the same taper make it closer? Or, would they have to tinker with the taper design?

Post 06 Aug 2008, 05:39 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I have several "venerable" rods in this size and wt range with which I'm quite happy. Part of the appeal to me, beyond how the rod performs, is the TFO replacement warranty. Apart from bravely going where I'll not take my Sceptre or Fenwicks, it may help bring other flyrodders to glass, assuming it would apply. In my experience the TFO build quality is good and they usually offer blanks as well as rods.

Due to my own rod mix, I have to agree with Beauglass that a 8 to 8.5 five wt would be most welcome. Also a four piece ... well, now I'm fantasizing.

I've been berated for noting it before, but I've a 3 wt in their Finesse series made of another substance, the blank does flex deeply for the substance (not really fast, but not a parametric), and it gives a nice presentation without a lot of casting ability--always useful in my case. If it is similar in action to these, I think most glassheads that prefer medium to fast glass rods will be pleased.

I'm certainly looking forward to casting one. Hayden

Post 07 Aug 2008, 09:34 • #11 
Master Guide
Sounds like a good rod for a T-200.

Post 07 Aug 2008, 16:42 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
so what is the problem with a fast glass rod? Really, I want to know.
Paul

Post 07 Aug 2008, 17:55 • #13 
Administrator
Paul,

Absolutely nothing is wrong with fast glass, as long as it isn't so fast the feel is gone. In many respects, I think the gentlemen making glass rods today each have their own idea of what makes a fine casting instrument. Fortunately, this results in us glass fanatics having a nice range of rod actions to choose from. At one end of the spectrum, we have the Lamiglas honey rods with their very full flexing feel. At the other end, the TL Johnson rods have a very Western feel. I think the TFO is faster still, particularly with a 5 weight line. With the correct line, the TFO makes for an interesting combination of light weight and power in such a short rod.

Tom

Post 07 Aug 2008, 18:52 • #14 
Master Guide
I would like to cast one of these things with a WF6 or 7 ... Maybe a DT7F would slow it down enough and it might be a good short carp rod.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 01:41 • #15 
Master Guide
I wonder if the blanks will be available as well, I wouldn't buy a factory rod. The price has to be right too. I think their carbon blanks are way overpriced for what they are.

J.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 04:20 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
jkurtz7 wrote:
I think their carbon blanks are way overpriced for what they are.

The TiCr blanks are cheaper than any of the Sage, Loomis, and St. Croix blanks. They are also cheaper than Batson RX7 blanks. I think they are very reasonably priced. Of course, any price is too much if you don't like a particular rod.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 05:25 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
All,
Rick Pope admitted the other night that these rods will be more expensive than a comparable graphite blank. How much? We'll have to wait and see ...
Les

Post 08 Aug 2008, 05:38 • #18 
Master Guide
Since the rod is not on their web site yet I called TFO directly.
They were very helpful as always.
Retail price is $179.95 ... about half the price of a Sage smallmouth rod.
Of course this was for a finished rod, not just a blank.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 06:54 • #19 
Master Guide
bassackwards wrote:
Quote:
jkurtz7 wrote:
I think their carbon blanks are way overpriced for what they are.

The TiCr blanks are cheaper than any of the Sage, Loomis, and St. Croix blanks. They are also cheaper than Batson RX7 blanks. I think they are very reasonably priced. Of course, any price is too much if you don't like a particular rod.

TiCr blanks are cheaper than RX7+ yes. RX7+ blanks are made here in the U.S. The standard RX7 is cheaper than the TiCr, and they are both imported from Asia. The TFO blanks are made in Korea as most folks know. The Finesse series blanks are $89.00. I think that they are overpriced seeing as how they are imports. I can get Lami blanks cheaper than that, and they are made here. If you think about it, you are paying MORE than the TFO blanks are worth because of the warranty plain and simple. The components they use on the factory rods are about useless as well, very poor quality.

So if they are going to put the new glass rod in the Finesse series and price it the same as those rods, the blanks will be $89.00 retail. I'll pass, thats just not a very good deal on a Korean blank. Thats my honest opinion and I'm stickin to it.

J.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 07:23 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I'd probably go with the Lami over the Finesse blanks, too.

However, you have to look at blanks that are the same length, weight, and number of pieces for a fair comparison between the RX7 and TiCr. Take the 9' 4-piece 5 wt for example. Hook and Hackle lists the RX7 for $20 more than the TiCr. I just noticed that they don't give the customary discount on TFO products, which makes the RX7 $4 cheaper. That indicates that the TFO prices are pretty competitive.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 07:42 • #21 
Master Guide
bassackwards wrote:
I'd probably go with the Lami over the Finesse blanks, too.

However, you have to look at blanks that are the same length, weight, and number of pieces for a fair comparison between the RX7 and TiCr. Take the 9' 4-piece 5 wt for example. Hook and Hackle lists the RX7 for $20 more than the TiCr. I just noticed that they don't give the customary discount on TFO products, which makes the RX7 $4 cheaper.

I didn't check H&H, then again one never really knows what the prices are there unless you look everyday, since they always seem to be having a good sale on something. I checked Anglers Workshop for the RX7, they have good prices on the 4 pc models. Mudhole has the TiCr but they charge full retail on their blanks and the TiCr prices were more than AW prices on the RX7 4pc.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but, I bet that if any other company carried the same glass blank that TFO has it would be a $30-$40 blank, and thats the way it really should be priced.

J.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 12:11 • #22 
Glass Fanatic

Well I'm still interested at $179 for what will probably be a decently made fiberglass rod with a full warranty a la Sage et. al. They warrant their graphite blanks as well so I would guess the glass blanks would be covered. Like I said, this aspect may help bring more people to glass and if it does apply will be reflected in the price. $179 plus a warranty is pretty reasonable in my mind for a complete rod that will probably fish fine. Check out the graphite rod prices that come with such, a Sage Launch will run you around $200.00 or so on sale. Right now its all speculation anyhow.

I wasn't trying to imply that fast glass was "bad". Fenwick's rep seems to be on the fast side and I'll be happy to take any that are too "fast" for any of ya'll. As far as whether the rod would be fast, that was just supposition on my part, kinda guessing from remarks from the early builders and TFO's labeling system.

I still think its neat that one of the larger names in full warranty rods is going to be producing one in glass. With luck on our part, they'll have some success, other makers will start competing and FlyflingerAndy will someday be faced with a full range of choices in glass actions long after us duffers are dead. Image

Post 08 Aug 2008, 12:52 • #23 
Master Guide
J
Just a couple of questions.
1) What makes the components on TFO rods "about useless and of poor quality"?
2) Where did you get the $89.00 price point for the blanks?

Post 08 Aug 2008, 13:22 • #24 
Master Guide
evanslmtd wrote:
J
Just a couple of questions.
1) What makes the components on TFO rods "about useless and of poor quality"?
2) Where did you get the $89.00 price point for the blanks?

All the TFO rods I've cast or handled at the local Orvis shop have had grips that were heavy on the filler and lite on the cork. The reel seats aren't all that nice either. As for the $89.00 price point, the Finesse carbon blanks are priced at $89.00, and the Factory rods are priced at $179.00.

Guadalupe Bass confirmed that the price of the new glass rods will be $179.00 so I think it will be safe to assume that the glass blanks will cost the same as the carbon blanks.

J.

Post 08 Aug 2008, 13:54 • #25 
Master Guide
I spoke to my local TFO dealer today, and he knows nothing about the rods other than what I told him. He knew nothing about the release, or anything. He thought with it being a 6'9" it would be a 3wt, but when I said 5/6, he kind of shrugged and was like, eh, ok. God, I love people who love fast action graphite and know nothing about glass.

I cannot wait till I can get my hands on one of these rods or at least the blank. I think it will work well for the fishing I do, or maybe throw a T130 on it and fish down and across with cats whiskers ... just kidding, well maybe.

New Topic Add Reply