It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:35

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
New W&M Sweetheart
Post 31 Jul 2008, 08:52 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just a FYI: Yesterday I saw a new Wright & McGill Sweetheart in an outdoor store in Missoula. It had a brown, not yellow, blank and most surprising was made in the USA. It sells for $49. A salesman said there was also a multi-piece version. Maybe everybody on the planet is aware of this but I thought I'd just mention it. Sometimes in these more down-scale shops you can find rods you would otherwise not see.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 31 Jul 2008, 09:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
i was kind of aware that they were still made. i wonder what line weights and lengths are still available. might be a nice entry level glass rod.

i just sent an email to eagle claw asking for info.

some time back we were discussing price points on glass and noted that there was not anything other than the featherlight series and that there might be a nitch for a little higher price point rod for entry level. if the sweetheart is still made it might be that rod.

Last edited by lpirrone on 31 Jul 2008, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 31 Jul 2008, 12:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
This is really interesting. There is an Eagle Claw Water Eagle "composite fiberglass" yellow blank 7/8 flyrod that sells for around $20.00. No mention on the WM or Eagle Claw web sight of a Sweetheart that I could see. I wonder if this rod in Missoula is "new" old stock? Larry, thanks for pinging Wright McGill. I for one am very interested in their reply. It is a local for me to phone them ... if they don't answer your email, let me know and I will try some detective work from here.

wacokid54

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 31 Jul 2008, 12:20 • #4 
Emeritus
When I first read this post I was happy to see. After thinking about it for awhile, my thoughts were the same as Wacokid's. I go visit Wright & Mcgill every couple of months just to see what's new and show off some of my rods. (Most of which current employees have never seen or heard of) I've seen all their graphite and boron rods, but have never seen any glass. I've even talked to them about the glass "craze." I guess it's time to pay a visit again. Thanks for the heads up Duff.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 01 Aug 2008, 03:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
here is my email and their response.

We no longer make those rods. It would be cool to come back with a retro
version of one. Hopefully we do so in the future.

>>> 7/31/2008 3:29 PM >>>
does eagle claw still market a wright and mcgill sweetheart fly rod? is this a
glass rod? what lengths and line weights are available and what dealers carry
them? i am enquiring on behalf of the FIBERGLASS FLY RODDERS SITE (
http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders). this is a group of folks who
fish fiberglass fly rods. most of them are familiar with the featherlight
series but would like some information about the sweetheart series.

thanks, larry pirrone

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 01 Aug 2008, 04:10 • #6 
Emeritus
Thanks for the information Larry. I sure would like to see the multi-piece Sweetheart that Duff was talking about. Duff, what was the name of the shop in Missoula?

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 01 Aug 2008, 14:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I guess the salesman didn't quite know the story on the rod. I was wrong about the price - it's $42.95 and of course no sales tax in Montana. I had the feeling it was new old stock when I saw it but I had never seen that color of Sweetheart so went along with the salesman. It is definitely new and an 8' for a 7 as you might expect, and for the amazingly low price, has fairly nice cosmetics. The thing that really amazed me was that it was made in the USA. If you want it, it's at the Sportsman's Surplus down from the Book Exchange on Brooks Avenue in Missoula, MT. I almost bought it, but the last rod I need is another 8' 7wt and anyway I am still in my rod reduction mode though you couldn't tell it from my trip reports. The strange thing is that the salesman seemed to know all about them and said the multi-piece just wasn't in stock. Maybe the guy at W&M was mistaken! For the record, here are some shots of it as I thought forum members would like to see some proof of this apparently rare bird:Image

PS: Tom, I took the shots with a little Nikon L16 I picked up a few days ago. I never could have taken the photos with the old Nikon 4500 unless it was on a tripod. Neat little camera for $99.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 01 Aug 2008, 15:57 • #8 
Emeritus
Thanks for the pictures Duff. The only thing that looks W&M is the emblem on the grip.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 05 Aug 2008, 15:11 • #9 
Master Guide
... NICE! ... I still favor the one you sold me last year! ... take care Duff ...

Bob

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 06 Aug 2008, 04:11 • #10 
Emeritus
Well, I couldn't stand it. Thinking about this rod was driving me a little crazy so I bought it. I will post a review when it arrives. I do know now that the rod is probably from the mid 80s. The black and gold emblem (instead of gold and black) is a giveaway as well as the made in USA sticker. Eagle Claw started manufacturing overseas in the early to mid 80s.

Last edited by cofisher on 06 Aug 2008, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 06 Aug 2008, 12:00 • #11 
Guide

Oh man, I wish I had seen this thread before you did Howard! What a neat rod you got and a great price too. Let me know if you ever want to let it find a new home in Carolina!

Duff, those are fabulous photos. I'm going to look into one of those Nikon L16 cameras real soon.

Mike

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 06 Aug 2008, 12:55 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
ImageI was wondering when we'd see a post from Cofisher saying he bought it. I think he did well even if he didn't need another eight for seven.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 06 Aug 2008, 13:33 • #13 
Emeritus

Man, I'm soooo transparent!

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 07 Aug 2008, 01:26 • #14 
Guide
HA! HA! Howard you are a man who needs help (I know because I'm one too!). But it is a beautiful rod though and irresistible.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 07 Aug 2008, 14:38 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry about feeding the addiction, Howard. How strange that that rod hung around for so long - unbelievable actually, but probably a sign of the general rejection of glass in recent years. The salesman must have been suspended in a time warp since he was positive that more were coming in soon! Duff

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 07 Aug 2008, 15:07 • #16 
Emeritus
No problems Duff. It is such an unusual rod that I had to see it up close and I won't be in Missoula anytime soon. It's kind of strange that I've never seen an 80s Eagle Claw rod for sale on ebay. The folks at Sportsman's Surplus sounded a little shocked that someone would call from Colorado to buy an "outdated" rod sight unseen. Nice people to deal with and they have 2 other fiberglass rods sitting around waiting to walk out the door. They are not Eagle Claw but I didn't ask what they are.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 09 Aug 2008, 03:24 • #17 
Guide
Howard, does Sportsman's Surplus have a website?

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 09 Aug 2008, 04:19 • #18 
Emeritus
Mike if you do a google search you will find some links, but not exactly a store website. More like a yellow pages listing with address and phone number and some other information.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 09 Aug 2008, 04:35 • #19 
Guide
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm trying to learn all these secret places you know where all these rods and reels are hidden away.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 11 Aug 2008, 09:37 • #20 
Emeritus
The Sweetheart arrived just awhile ago ... about the same time the batteries on my camera died. This is a most unusal rod for a Wright & Mcgill and I will post some additional photos later. It is as light as a graphite rod. The rod is a deep reddish brown color with copper colored wraps. It is a tip over butt (I guess because I've never owned one). 7 snake guides plus the stripper and tip. (8' rod) There is a brown adonized aluminum uplocking reel seat with a black knurled knob to tighten the reel seat. The writing on the rod says Wright & Mcgill Sweetheart No. SH300 A2A, Line size 7. No tube and no sock.

This rod is so light I have to question if it is really fiberglass. Larry?

ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by cofisher on 11 Aug 2008, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 11 Aug 2008, 11:06 • #21 
Guide

Very unusual rod Howard. Looking forward to more photos and your thoughts ...

Mike

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 11 Aug 2008, 13:46 • #22 
Emeritus
I lawn casted this Sweetheart and it is. I used an old Orvis Madison with 6wt line and it sang to me. I was only trying to cast about 30' but when I let go of the line it just kept going. OMG, this isn't your grandad's Eagle Claw.

Last edited by cofisher on 11 Aug 2008, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 12 Aug 2008, 01:02 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Image Much better appearance than I would have expected. Some of the rods/blanks made toward the end of the fiberglass era are very impressive sticks by anybody's standards. Sometimes they were disguised with foam grips and plastic reel seats as manufacturers tried to keep profitable. Perhaps W&M tried to make one that could hold its own in appearance and construction. I'm happy it ended up your hands.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 12 Aug 2008, 02:05 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Howard, great to hear you liked the rod! I was also struck by how light it was, but I do think it's glass because of the blank diameter. Also, I would think that if it were graphite that they would have advertised the fact on the rod since it sold at a relatively low price. It's certainly an unusual rod in any case.

New W&M Sweetheart
Post 12 Aug 2008, 06:46 • #25 
Guide
Howard, you already have too many W&Ms! Be a really good guy and send this one down to North Carolina? I doubt you really have room for it anyway? But seriously, I'm happy you love it but if you're ever tired of I want first dibs ok?

Mike

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply