It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:53

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply
08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 02:48 • #126 
Master Guide
Hey Dane
Yep, it does sound like last year, but I'm betting you'll find a way to weasel out of work (again) for a couple of days and show up anyway! (LOL)

08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 09:24 • #127 
Guide
I can make it to the Glassic on Saturday - if yall don't mind a newbie tagging along and asking a lot of questions.

I'm not sure if I'll tent camp overnight or stay with some relatives that live near Waco.

- Edward (3102yuma) -

08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 11:00 • #128 
Master Guide
Edward
No problem, newbies, oldies, airline pilots, and even retired high school coach's are welcome.
I think you'll have a good time. The fishing and food should be great and the people even better than that. Hopefully we'll see you there.

08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 11:21 • #129 
Guide
You forgot cops. My plan is to be there Thursday night or early Friday morning but I will have to leave early Sat morning to be at work by noon.

08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 13:25 • #130 
Guide
I just read this post for the first time. I will try to make it!

08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 16:28 • #131 
Guide
I'm working on trying to make it up there Friday and leave Saturday afternoon, I would be camping in a tent, pending my boss giving me the time off. Maybe I can get some pointers on casting, never had any real lessons on it and I know I could definitely improve things.

08â
Post 14 Sep 2008, 22:53 • #132 
Master Guide
Jerry
Damn, I'm sorry, even Cops are welcome! (LOL)

Junkie
Hope you can make it, I'm betting you'll be a great time!

borumas
There'll be some pretty good casters there, I'm sure that you'll have plenty of people that would be glad to help you with your casting.

I talked to Mike Cody yesterday and he said he was planning on cooking up a pot of his award winning Chili on Friday night.
For those of y'all that don't know Mike, he competes in (and wins) a lot of the TX Chili competitions.
So it looks like we won't be going hungry. We're going to have Ribs, Brisket, Chili, and Beans available to eat.

Note to Camron ... there will be no Pimento Cheese served! (LOL)

There'll also be a lot of tackle (rods, reels, furled leaders and flies, etc.) available to buy, sell and trade.
If I get the time, I'm going to try and put some 2 and 3 piece Tadpole blanks together (in various lengths) that will already ferruled, for those of you that would like to build up one of these great little rods, but don't want to have to go through the trouble of cutting and ferruling them.

It's starting to look like that between all the eating, buying, selling, trading tackle there won't be a lot of time to fish! (LOL)

08â
Post 15 Sep 2008, 14:00 • #133 
Barry

Count Canoeman and me in on the dinners. Thanks,

Kurt

08â
Post 15 Sep 2008, 15:11 • #134 
Master Guide
Man o man ...

This is shaping up to be a big deal!

Wish I was still there ... I'll be there in spirit!

David (Former Texan)

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 04:52 • #135 
Master Guide
David, you are also a former Missourian too, don't forget that.

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 05:29 • #136 
Master Guide
That's true Andy,

I fondly recall the Little Piney River south of Rolla for its stream-bred rainbows, the Gasconade for its smallies and rock bass, the Roubideaux Creek in Waynesville for it's pumpkinseeds and 'bows (and of course the dink creek chubs that plagued my flies) ... I think about MO a lot. But that's one of the beauties of serving in the Army - the chance to move around, explore different water and meet some interesting people.

So far in TN I've had a chance to explore a couple of local creeks that purportedly hold a population of trout (and lots of rock bass) and a couple of lakes on post with good numbers of all the usual warm water species.

My boyhood home is San Antonio and I still have family there. So you can bet that eventually I'll be back down that way. I'll grab at any chance I have to fish with you guys ...

Enjoy the Glassic!

David

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 06:04 • #137 
Master Guide
Awesome ... I have never fished the Little Piney south of Rolla. I want to fish Mill Creek badly, but the time and cost of that trip is a little ridiculous right now. There is a lot of good water in Tennessee as well, but I would be hard pressed to get away from the Ozarks.

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 12:49 • #138 
Master Guide
Bud, when did this feller open up his place? I thought it had been only for family and friends so to speak. Not that this is an issue, I'm curious if we've got a die hard fly/fisherman that wants to share a buetifull place on the historic Brazos river. Also, to prevent to much crouding, how would the float and fishing be in a reasonable amount of time be from the damm? Just curious as those that don't have and or bring a float craft could have more privacy in wading at camp, and those with a means of float could float from the damm? Maybe there could be a volunteer shuttle. Oh' well' I love this river and this is a good place to fish. Within the the last week I have a report of bass up to 4lbs. from there to a mile below this place. Don't know if it was hardware tackle or fly. Reguardless, if the fish are there then I can catch em'. I hope that the weather doesn't send a real cold, cold front as that would separate the men from the boys. ( don't mean to ofend, just campfire jack;) Bud, is there a schedule on generation or is that done on demand and lake levels?

Looking forward to meeting all ... Ray ...

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 14:24 • #139 
Master Guide
Hmmm ... ok lets see. I think Jack opened it up about 18 months ago. He does not advertise. But all are welcome as long as they are good guests.

Jack is not a flyfisherman ... BUT ... He is an avid fisher of catfishes and other denizens of the river. May know the river better than anyone else in the area ... He an all around good guy. I hope everyone takes the time to visit with him ...

Floating from the Dam is a minimum 8 hour deal ... without much fishing. You can launch at the campground or at Dick's and paddle up or downstream.

I am not sure that even God knows when they are going to generate. I believe the generation is computerized and occurs on an as needed basis ... But I am not sure. There are a lot of big bass in this section of river. I have caught a few and they are caught regularly by guys using conventional tackle.

I fished it today with Barry and it was extremely slow. Although Barry came close to landing a monster smalllmouth in a little riffle.

I hope this answers most of your questions Ray ... I don't know how the fishing will be ... but everyone should have a good time.

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 14:29 • #140 
Master Guide
I am psyched to fish it Bud! I am anxious to hook up with some monster bass!

08â
Post 16 Sep 2008, 14:33 • #141 
Master Guide
Hope you do!

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 00:47 • #142 
Master Guide
Hey Guys
Bud and I had a great time on the River yesterday even though the fishing was off some. The plan was to put the Kayaks in and go upriver from Dick's Place and then float/fish back down to McCrarey's. As most well thought out plans go, this one went TU because we ran out of time,
Bud is correct about not being able to predict the water releases from the Whitney Dam. The Electrical Grid initiates them. If the Power Grid senses that more electricity is needed, the gates open and they start generating power. So"¦"¦..one can never be sure when the BRA (Brazos River Authority) is going to release water.
In spite of the slow fishing, (although there were some nice fish landed) it was a glorious day! Air temperatures were moderate and the water temps have dropped a few degrees so the paddling/wading were very pleasant.
I did lose a huge Smallie that took a Spoon Fly in a deep run that spilled out into a riffle. After the take and one jump the fish ran straight at me and I couldn't get a good hook-set in her. Oh well, at least I'll get another shot at her the next time I fish that area. I did manage to catch a few Smallie's and Spots though as well as some very nice Red Bellied Sunfish. Bud also caught some nice fish (large Red belly's, Spots and a Carp).
All things considered, it was a very nice day on the River.
Bud also showed up wearing the latest fly fishing attire. He looked like the centerfold from the latest Orvis catalog. The ensemble consisted of a "Bite Me" Ball Cap, tee shirt, Baggy Camo Shorts and a pair of his wife's panty hose/leggings. Let me tell y'all, he was pretty! (LOL)

Bud's Attire

Heading upriver

Bud & Carp

Bud & large Red-belly

Mac & Large Red-belly

Another large Red-Belly

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 04:22 • #143 
Master Guide
Indeed a glorious day Barry! I am jealous!

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 07:32 • #144 
Master Guide
It's official. I'm back home for now but construction is to start down in El Paso on the 29th so I won't be around to make the Glassic. You boys have fun and sack 'em up.

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 08:40 • #145 
Master Guide
Hey Dane
Have you lost all your sense of priority? Just quit the damn job Man! (LOL)

Sorry you won't be able to make this one. It's looking like it'll be a dandy. Word has it that even Sticky is going to show up so JB has someone to play with on the river.
You will be missed!

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 08:53 • #146 
Master Guide
Dane, I was hoping to meet you! Damn, guess I will have to make another trip down for that purpose.

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 09:59 • #147 
Administrator
OK ... Bud is that your Native kayak? middlemac and I are each trying to put enough pennies together to each get a Native Ultimate. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the kayak. PM is you don't mind.

Fellows ... this clave really sounds like it is going to be a great time and I just wish I could figure out a way to get over to Texas to meet up with everyone. After the weekend long Wyoming trip I'd have a hard time sneaking out of the house again any time soon.

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 10:27 • #148 
Master Guide
evanslmtd wrote:
Hey Dane
Have you lost all your sense of priority? Just quit the damn job Man! (LOL)

Sorry you won't be able to make this one. It's looking like it'll be a dandy. Word has it that even Sticky is going to show up so JB has someone to play with on the river.
You will be missed!
Barry,
You don't know how close I came to doing just that in the past 48 hours. One of these days, we'll get together and I'll tell you all about it. I might have to sneak off though if Sticky is going to be there. Oh, if only he could talk. I really hate it that I can't make this one; but, there will be others.

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 11:08 • #149 
Guide
Cameron, I too have a native yak, and they are awesome. Bud and I have the same kind, different color. Handles great, and the seatnis the best in the market.

Bud, looks like you were taking a leak into the truck, and where is the fshion police, again!

08â
Post 17 Sep 2008, 11:30 • #150 
Master Guide
A friend dropped by with his fly rod and dragged me kicking and screaming over to the river. We fished for about 2 hours. The river was really low the fishing a bit slow. But we did manage to catch a couple nice Smallies, some Spots, and the ever present yellowbellies.

The Brazos with minimum flow..

A nice Smallmouth ... She tried to jump out of the river ...

Assorted other goodies ...

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply