It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 01:34

New Topic Add Reply
2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 23 Jun 2008, 12:56 • #1 
Administrator
What started as a couple of conversations between Mountainshark and I in the Chat Lounge and through a few PM's grew into a goal to get back to the gym and prepare for the 2008 Cuttie-Thon on the Grey's River near Afton, Wyoming. This fly fishing marathon has been going on since 2005 and has been organized by Zac Sexton to raise money for the Children's Diabetes Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and the Yellowstone Park Foundation.

The Cuttie-Thon will start on August 9th at 05:00 a.m. and participants will fish up river for part or all of nearly 27 miles of the Grey's River. The Cuttie-Thon will take an estimated 30 hours to complete start to finish. It is our intention to complete the entire Cuttie-Thon and one of only a couple of teams taking on the whole course. Some teams will do the Cuttie-Thon as a relay or only fish in portions of the river.

Zac's website for the Cuttie-Thon

If anyone would like to make a Cuttie-Thon donation please PM Mountainshark or I your email address and we'll get the form emailed to you.

For the past couple of weeks we've been contacting a few potential gear sponsors and are pleased to announce that several companies have agreed to send us gear to use during this event.

So far we have the following gear sponsors:

Big Y Fly Company - FLIES!

Cliff Outdoors - Two Big Cliff Fly Boxes, Two Super Days Worth Fly Boxes, and Two Dry Fly Rehab Center

Cloudveil - Two Pairs 8X Pro Waders/8X Stealth Boots

Osprey Packs - Two Stratos 24 backpacks

Petzl - Two MYO XP Headlamps

Smith Optics - Two Pairs of Polarized Sunglasses

SPOT Messenger- One SPOT Satellite Tracker

The process for figuring out who we wanted to approach as gear sponsors involved discussions and research of brands that we trusted their products to perform. I certainly don't want to get half way through the Cuttie-Thon only to have a piece of essential gear break or fail to work. There will (hopefully) be more gear sponsors, photos, and reviews to follow in this thread in the near future.

If anyone has comments or questions please feel free to PM.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Jul 2008, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 23 Jun 2008, 15:16 • #2 
Guide
Oh hell, now we have to finish the damn thing or we will not be let back on the board. As Cameron mentioned, one of the pieces of gear we go was the Spot Messenger, it is really cool. It has the ability to contact 911, check in, ask for non emergent help and to track a persons progress. When you establish an account, you can provide any medical information about yourself in case you need assistance. You can also program email and cell phones to receive your check-ins or the non-emergent help requests.

Our intention is to establish a thread just prior to the race starting which will allow everyone to keep tabs on our progress or lack of progress(Ha-Ha). The check-ins will provide a link to Google Earth which will show which part of the river we are on.

In this application, the Spot is more of a play thing, but in real life, it is a fantastic survival tool. I know out here we have a ton of areas that we don't have cell coverage. It may not seem like a big thing, until you get hurt and can't get out. After doing Search and Rescue for a lot of years, I wish everyone had one of these things, the survival rate would have increased a bunch.

One of the nice aspects of the Spot is it will fit in the the fly vest and doesn't weigh much. I know I go off alone and fish some remote country and for that matter, work in remote country, so if has been a handy thing to check-in with Christy so she doesn't worry. Spot has so many applications, I wish I could tell about them all. I will post photos and a couple of links to show the map system.

In the time being, go to the web site and check Spot out. Thanks for the support on our endeavor. I cant think of a better reason to torture my body doing something I love than to help a child!

MS

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 24 Jun 2008, 00:43 • #3 
Emeritus
This sounds great guys- and grueling ... I'd suggest "Why wait- give 911 a call before you leave" Image

Look for my PM, KM

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 24 Jun 2008, 02:15 • #4 
Emeritus
Good for you guys. Oh if only I was a lot younger and healthier. As it is, if MM and I tried this you would have to call 911 first. I will be sending you a pm.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 24 Jun 2008, 03:18 • #5 
Administrator
Mountainshark ... yes ... we do have to finish this event.

middlemac/cofisher ... you fellows could come out and drive our "Support Vehicle" but I'd hate to know the trouble the two of you'd get in. HA ...

Well ... we added another sponsor this morning with Osprey Packs joining the list and sending us two backpacks. I couldn't be happier since I already have two Osprey products and they are built for performance.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 24 Jun 2008, 04:06 • #6 
Emeritus
Well Cam, if nothing else, you and Mountainshark will win an award for the best dressed. Can we expect to see some NASCAR-type advertising? I volunteer MM and I as the support vehicle ... can we have a designated driver though?

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 29 Jun 2008, 16:02 • #7 
Guide

I used the Spot for a bit last weekend while at Henry's Lake and found that it is light enough to clip on a shirt or a vest and not even realize it is their.

Here are the photos of the Spot.

Here is what you get when you use the check-in feature of the Spot. I am working on the tracking page which will allow everyone to see progress. The link is to Google Earth and the location of the Spot when activated.

Latitude:44.6198

Longitude:-111.372

Nearest Location: Lake, United States

Distance: 5 km(s)

Time:06/29/2008 16:38:13 (GMT)

[u]http//maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44.6198,-111.372&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1 [/u]

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 30 Jun 2008, 06:36 • #8 
That Spot looks like a nifty contraption! Can't wait to get 'er working for the 'Thon. I plan on marking the route July 10-12. You gonna be around? It would be great to hit the water with you, and give the Spot more field work.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 14 Jul 2008, 04:17 • #9 
Administrator
Well so far we have several who have made donations or plan to soon. Thank you very much. Now that I am back from Michigan I am going to be actively readying myself for this trip. If someone here would like to make a donation to the cause please feel free to PM me for more information.

The gear donations have started to arrive with the Smith Optics sunglasses as well as the headlamps from Petzl making to the doorstep. I'll put photos up soon of the gear items and more information on trip preparations.

I am looking forward to this trip not only for the Cuttie-Thon but the five days of fishing I'll be doing out there on various waters. I hope that runoff pushes out by then!

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 14 Jul 2008, 16:23 • #10 
Administrator
I finally had a chance tonight to look through the box that Petzl sent while I was gone to Michigan. Petzl really did us right and sent both a MYO XP and a MYO XP BELT models. I didn't notice that they had sent two different models until tonight when I had the packaging to the XP model taken apart and batteries in the light. Mountainshark ... you're getting the XP BELT model I guess.

MYP XP.

MYO XP BELT.

These are a serious headlamp and I know that they will be able to do the work for the night section of the Cuttie-Thon.

Hard to tell in this photo ... but these lights can get BRIGHT!

These lamps are extremely well designed and have three different brightness settings, flash setting, a boost setting which gives you 150 lumens, and then a front cover over the lamp that will either give you a flood beam or a spot beam.

Battery life is also impressive. LED lights have revolutionized light sources. The headlamp has the following burn times on a single set of batteries:

Economic - 180 Hours
Optimum - 100 Hours
Maximum - 80 Hours

I'll be carrying an extra set of AA batteries but it hardly looks like I need to.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 15 Jul 2008, 10:19 • #11 
Administrator
Well ... Mike contacted Big Y Fly Company out of Maupin, Oregon and they are now on the list of gear sponsors with a donation of flies to use during the event. This is so great ... and less that I'd have to tie or buy.

We have at least two other potential sponsors that we are waiting for an answer from. I am really excited how many companies have decided to work with us on this event. I've long been a gear hound ... so this is great fun!

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 18 Jul 2008, 01:43 • #12 
Administrator
I feel bad that it has taken me a couple of days to update this but I spoke with Matt Cassel of Cliff Outdoors this week and he was so excited about the event that he is taking care of our fly box and floatant needs.

I have long been impressed with the products that Cliff Outdoors produces for both their practicality and ease of use ... but also since they make all items in Casper, Wyoming. A pretty impressive family owned and operated company.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 20 Jul 2008, 10:22 • #13 
Guide

I am pleased to announce that the Cuttie-thon 2008 now has it's own coffee. It is roasted by Salmon Fly Coffee Roasters, in Butte, Montana. Salmon Fly is a small fledgling coffee company owned by a husband and wife team who jumped at the chance to help with the Cuttie-thon. The coffee is a blend of fresh beans which are roasted, blended and packaged in Butte. I have sampled the coffee and for those of you who like a dark French Roast, I think it will be a big hit. As with many fundraising efforts, over 50 % of the proceeds will go to the cause. The cost of the coffee is $15.00 plus shipping. If anyone is interested in supporting a great cause by drinking a splended cup of coffee, please send me a PM and I will get you the order information.

Thank you for the support.
MS

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 21 Jul 2008, 05:50 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I use a Cliff product ... the Bugger Barn. I use it for my stream oriented streamers ... cone heads, bead heads and Pistol Pete's. Great flybox if you have a big enough pocket.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 21 Jul 2008, 07:51 • #15 
Administrator
I have a friend, Joel Thompson, that while working for Rock Creek Cattle Company, has formed his own outfitting business. He has several guides that are working for him and doing trips out of the Missoula/Deer Lodge area. Please PM me if you are visiting the area and are looking for a guide.

Joel Thompson made a donation to Mountainshark and I for the Cuttie-Thon event as well as sending a couple of ball caps along as well.

I've been wearing the blue/white trucker style cap now for the last week or so and it is a very cool hat. Thanks again Joel!

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 21 Jul 2008, 13:17 • #16 
Administrator
Well, since Mountainshark was already in Jackson Hole today for work he stopped by Cloudveil to follow up on a couple of phone calls and they decided to sponsor our team for the Cuttie-Thon! They are going to provide two pairs of 8X Pro Waders and two pairs of the 8X Stealth Boot. This really is quite a donation to our team and it is certainly appreciated.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 02 Aug 2008, 14:07 • #17 
Sport
Good luck on the event fellows! That is a pretty interesting event, and sounds like a nice cause as well. I'll be watching from Colorado.

It would be fun to watch. I wonder how long the drive would be ...

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 04 Aug 2008, 06:59 • #18 
"I wonder how long the drive would be ... "

Poudre River, I assume you are in Fort Collins, in which case the drive is about 7 hours. My mom will be driving up from Arvada, so you can just hitch a ride with her if you'd like to go! Let me know. I'm currently in Arvada, will be in Fort Collins tomorrow, Buffalo, Wyo. on Wed., Jackson and the Greys on Thurs. I'll also have room if you can get the time off--I plan on fishing a bit on the way back down to Fort Collins. I'm currently working with Matt Schliske, building bamboo rods at his shop in 'Collins, www.bamboo-fisher.com. My mom is leaving Fri. morning I believe, and will be returning after we're done, on Sunday. There is soooooo much good water to fish on the way, you should really take a month off and hit it all ;-) The March Browns, Yellow Sallies, big gray and tan Sedges ( #10-8 ) are coming off, and fishing is great on most waters, currently. If you don't want to walk the entire route, there is great fishing near the access points.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 04 Aug 2008, 10:27 • #19 

Below is a map of this year's Cuttie-thon route. I can send people the markers for their own GoogleEarth maps if they are interested. The route starts near teh Man Creek confluence, and continues to the Corral Creek bridge. The entire route is about 26.6 miles!

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 04 Aug 2008, 15:13 • #20 
Administrator
Well ... the suitcases are packed ... the rod tube is stuffed nearly full with five fiberglass fly rods ready to go ... and the alarm is set. I'll be up at 04:15 a.m. and to the airport to catch my 06:25 a.m. flight out of Columbia, SC to Salt Lake City, UT. From SLC I'll drive up to meet up with Mountainshark near Afton, WY. We should be fishing some place by late tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait.

Cuttiethoner ... damn ... that map makes the route a little daunting. HA ... I certainly hope we are up for the entire route.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 04 Aug 2008, 16:00 • #21 
Guide
Dont worry, the country is rougher than the map makes it look.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 04 Aug 2008, 23:15 • #22 
Master Guide
Good luck guys ...

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 09 Aug 2008, 03:35 • #23 
Guide
I wish I had known about this sooner, I might have gone, I'd love to have gone if I could, it sounds so great and a great cause too. One of my sons is a park ranger in Yellowstone right now and maybe I could have met him there, well maybe next year ... What is the address to donate?

Mike

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 09 Aug 2008, 04:12 • #24 
Emeritus
Mike go to cuttiethon.org for information.

2008 CUTTIE-THON!
Post 09 Aug 2008, 04:37 • #25 
Guide
Will do, thanks.

New Topic Add Reply