It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:52

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Aug 2008, 00:57 • #51 
Administrator
middlemac ... we should be fishing right now! Great news.

Post 14 Sep 2008, 08:13 • #52 
Administrator
middlemac ... I'm waiting for the report from your exploratory trip yesterday.

Post 16 Sep 2008, 01:12 • #53 
Emeritus
I explored several miles near the headwaters of the South Mills River on Saturday, beginning in the Pink Beds area just past the Cradle of Forestry Visitor's Center on Hwy 276. It's a beautiful and well-maintained loop trail (FS118) that connects to the South Mills River Trail (FS133) near the gaging station.

Note that for the clave we will likely pass by the Pink Beds and the headwaters and drive on for a few miles, parking just east of the gaging station at the terminus of FS road 476 to the FS133 trailhead. (Of course, there are many entry routes including (for Crazies) parking at Mt. Pisgah and walking straight downhill for a day or so Image).

Tour of the headwaters, walking the south route of the Pink Beds Long Loop

The river is barely a bold creek here, with many interesting and well-maintained crossings. Thanks to the FS, Land 'O Sky TU and others

There are occasional dry open places, not many

Portions of the river are meandering and almost swamp-like as it tries to decide where to go

Two miles or so in the tribs have increased the flow considerably, though the drought levels are still evident with sandy banks

It begins to look like "real" trout water

There were miniature "thickets" everywhere

A spider's web in a hidey-hole

and bratwurst-sized bear scat

This bridge is part of the Mtns-to-Sea Trail system which crosses the Pink Beds Loop on it's way to NC's Outer Banks.

I'm hiking through the mid-section of FS133 in the next few days spotting campsites and will post up. But Looking Glass Falls on Hwy 276 is always worth a look on your way driving in or out

I fished the Davidson briefly on my way out until I lost the spool retaining screw on my Young 2-3/4 reel (Ron has found one for me). The D is looking almost it's normal self these days, I fished at a pulloff a couple of miles below the Hatchery

Post 16 Sep 2008, 01:50 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great! Kevin ...
Great report! I wish I could make it! : (

Post 18 Sep 2008, 06:55 • #55 
Guide
kevin beautiful photos and some really nice looking pools in there. Even that bratwurst sized bear scat looked good. How would that taste deep fried I wonder? Image

I'm hoping to be able to make it for at least a day of fishing and hiking.

Mike

Post 26 Sep 2008, 02:10 • #56 
Emeritus
What with the gas crunch and time limitations I will not be able to get back to the South Mills until after returning from Edisto Island on the 4th. With twelve days available until the Clave after getting home, I do anticipate getting back to the river and posting some comments as early as I can manage it.

Our default camping location will be the relatively comfortable Wolf Ford site, four miles downriver from the Forest Service Road 476 terminus parking location at the South Mills River 133 trailhead. I am continuing to explore other campsites with local TU members and will have some alternates posted for your consideration in the next week so we can expand our options and plan ahead as to gear.

I'll have my laptop at the island this week so please Clavers, let's suggest at least one or two simple suppers or lunches for 8-12 hungry folks, so that we can enjoy at least a couple of gatherings as we wander up and down the river individually and in small groups during the Clave ...

My offer to tarp and groundcloth a sizable shelter at a central campsite stands (Yes, I'm looking at super-lightweight tarps!).

Post 26 Sep 2008, 09:12 • #57 
Guide
Keep me posted as to where you guys will all be and I'm going to do my best to get out there for at least a day of fishing and visiting. Have a good trip down to Edisto Kevin.

Mike

Post 26 Sep 2008, 11:00 • #58 
Emeritus

Middlemac- I can still bring some sausages for a dinner if that sounds ok, with peppers/onions and most likely chips + beans or something for sides. Being as I am not hauling in a bunch of ice for several miles (will most likely use a small soft side cooler I can strap to my pack for the sausage), it may serve best to do this earlier on in the trip. I am planning to come up early on Thursday and can help set up camp and such.

As for varieties here are a few the butcher makes if you have a preference, otherwise I will just bring a dozen of the Bratwurst.

[*]Bratwurst [*]Irish "bangers" [*]Buffalo chicken+ blue cheese [*]Italian- hot and mild [*]Chicken and Spinach with feta [/list]

Other than one "fancy" dinner, I will just have trail mix, Cliff bars, ready to boil rice, beans and the like for food stuffs in the pack.

Last edited by HouzeHead on 26 Sep 2008, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Sep 2008, 13:11 • #59 
Emeritus
Mike- thanks, we need you at the clave!

HH- Wow- excellent! I would suggest we put you down for the first evening's meal. Bratwurst is ex+! I would love to taste the mild Italian if it's like a summer or sweet sausage, if it's just a milder version of a hot Italian then the brats will git'r done!

Anyone up for maybe hosting (packing in) one group lunch for Friday? Or for Clavers walking in later in the weekend, consider a group lunch offering that we can begin to plan towards later in the weekend.

Post 01 Oct 2008, 12:05 • #60 
Emeritus
We are getting closer folks!

Middlemac- Though it may be a haul, I could possibly make a "food run" later on Friday and hike in some more provisions (could go to the grocery off of hwy 64 right across from DRO as I think this would be the closest place). Don't really feel like eating camp rations the duration if we don't have to!

oh yeah, how bad are bears in the area? I was planning on bringing a length of rope to tie up any food.
Don't want one of these showing up at the tent at 4:30 in the moring!

Post 02 Oct 2008, 09:39 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
No experience with sausages, but my usual technique with steaks is to freeze them, bury them in ziplocs deep in the pack, and find that they've thawed properly for the first night (weather depending). After that first night of luxury, the couscous, etc., comes out, which is always fine with me; I eat too much and too well at home. HH, If you really mean it about making a mid-trip food run, you have not only my thanks but my admiration; my days as a general pack mule are gone, but even with youthful energy, to take that chunk out of fishing time is generous (although I fear water levels may make fishing take a really, really big back seat to socializing - are we ever going to get more rain?).

I guess you're planning on stove cooking on the sausage? In general, are we planning on sharing gear like filters and stoves? Honestly, it's been since Scouts that I did any planning for large-group backpacking logistics. More recently, even if 6-8 are going, we pretty much bring gear and food solo; the general fear (and some unfortunate experience) is that if someone bags out at the last minute (or is forgetful), no one else is dependant on what that person was to bring. Even if I'm teaming up with just one or two, I still only feel secure if there's a "meet up and check" before hitting the trail; don't know how feasible that will be. I'm planning on Thurs. hike-in. Others? If possible, it would be best to leave as many cars at Turkey Pen Gap as we can, and just shuttle one or two up to the gauge.

No knowledge about bears around there, but I imagine we should take precautions. I've never bothered with a bear bag in the SE, but between the drought and a bunch of newbies on that stream, we probably should plan on stringing up.

Bob

Post 02 Oct 2008, 13:28 • #62 
Emeritus

Great idea on freezing the meats, I was going to a small ice pack and this will eliminate the need. Also, I appreciate the idea of folks bringing gear as to be self sufficient, better to have two of something on site than not have what we need.

As for cooking the sausages and other items, I am going to bring a single burner for cooking, hopefully if someone else has another small stove we can bang out the cooking quickly. Previously I have used a small 12" cooking grate I pack against my internal frame, I use this with a roll of foil and small portion of charcoal to fashion a small "pit grill" I could also pack this along as the weight is minimal. (I used to use this set up for cooking wild brookies, as they taste the best, now I realize this is a purely evil activity)

I hope everyone will bring their own plate / utensils as I don't think I will be packing in extras at this rate!

Sorry for all the food talk, I come from a family of eaters.

I will be up for a Thursday hike in and could also be one of the shuttle vehicles, so I have it for the food run.

Who want to talk fishing? Usually for fall I box up BWO's, Little black stones and Oct caddis to cover the size spectrum, plus some attractors and terrestrials for good measure.

Corey

Post 02 Oct 2008, 13:38 • #63 
Administrator
OK ... I brought up the subject of the clave with the wife today over lunch ... and it looks like a go for a day trip on Thursday. I am hoping someone around here will want to ride up for the day to split gas.

HouzeHead ... great looking boxes. Nice to find another person this board that is as organized as I am about "everything has it's spot" in the fly box.

Hopefully this will be the only box I'll need ...

... but I'll bring the soft hackles, nymph, and small dry box as well.

Post 03 Oct 2008, 09:50 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Corey, I'm down to a pocket rocket stove, but I'll bring a "big" canister for it. I'm pretty much a "boil only" guy out there, and don't have any packable cook gear but pots (I think - I'll check the recesses). If we're doing a fire, we have some foil/coal options (onions are great, but lengthy, and I've never gotten the hang of microwaving potatoes to start at home and then finishing in the fire).

Flies, I think we're all pretty much on the same page. My two backcountry boxes aren't as well organized as yours (as Cameron would have guessed), but I wouldn't be without BWO or small Adams, caddis, terrestrials, some orange something, standard nymphs, and I always have some soft hackles. Cahills? And some might want to see if there are any nice fall browns in there who want streamers.

I'm bringing my Lami 7'6" 4 wt. I might be able to bring another rod if someone is interested in checking out either a FF70-4, FF756-4, or (maybe) a MacFarland 7' Vintage 3 wt. 3 pc. Rather not bring a second reel, though, so if someone's fishing those line weights. . .

If the river is low, and weather is like this, I may plan on wading wet (no waders helps keep me in the better pack). I'll check some of that out tomorrow in GA water.

I'll look at the map, but a day trip into the campsite could be a long one, with a bit of a climb back out.

Bob

Post 04 Oct 2008, 09:51 • #65 
Emeritus

Cameron- Glad to hear you are going to make it Thursday!

Yeah- been assembling some stimulators in oranges, reds and yellows to bring along as well. Hopefully there will be some fish on hand looking to eat on top. I need to get some more streamers together in case they want meat.

I will most likely only have my Steffen ... possibly the yellow 8381.

On waders, I will be using a pair of waist highs that pack small. With the number of crossings it sounds like there are, I may hike-in wearing them!

What time are you guys going to arrive Thursday?

Post 07 Oct 2008, 04:01 • #66 
Emeritus
I'd like to poll Clavers confirming expected arrival times and any gear considerations. I know there has been some communication between various members but please reply here with specifics by Friday October 10th. This should allow everyone some time to make adjustments before the Clave.

Houzehead has tentatively offered to park shuttle at the Turkey Pen lot downstream. If Mike or anyone else is walking in upstream on Sat or Sun perhaps they could offer a shuttle trip back to the trailhead later that day for anyone departing ... We'll make specific shuttle arrangements when everyone has committed to arrival and departure dates.

My notes:

1. Mine will be the dark grey Pathfinder with NC plates, there will be a note on the dash to whomever as to my plans if we don't cross paths.

2. I offered a map earlier, watch for a link on this thread by this weekend.

3. I'll have a decent first aid bundle with bandages, large cover pads, tape, polysporin, alcohol wipes, Advil etc. in the unlikely event of a mishap.

4. Everyone is reminded that cell service is non-existent in most of the Pisgah National Forest area.

5. Please confirm your shelter arrangements, if no one needs the large tarp and groundcloth I'll be quite happy to not haul them in ... that said, the offer stands! (In any event I'll bring at least a 9x12 as a cooking shelter for the campground).

Post 07 Oct 2008, 08:37 • #67 
Master Guide
I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the first to bow out--I'm reliant on custom footwear to get around, and as of today, both my wading boots and my hikers are in for repairs. If I had one or the other, I might be able to finesse it, but if I pulled up lame, I don't think any of you gentlemen would fancy carrying me out.Image I'll look forward to the pictures, though if this little system doesn't drop much rain, I doubt many will be of the "grip-and-grin" variety. Hopefully, we'll get a little tradition started, though, maybe including a Spring gathering so we can avoid some of the "low water blues" that have plagued us.

Jon

Post 08 Oct 2008, 01:01 • #68 
Guide
Sorry you won't be able to be there Creation Bear. It's looking doubtful for me too but I'm still holding out hope to make it at least for a day of fishing and visiting. My life is just too busy with work and family and people, people, people, work, work, work! Something's out of whack here, I've got to get my priorities straight! I do need more time on the water and I'm trying to make that happen now, so if I can move a few things around, I'll get out there for that one day anyway I hope. Don't count on me to be there for shuttling because at this point I'm looking like a no-show Image. Jim Harrison (the writer, "Legends of the Fall") said he once fished out west for 100 straight days. That's what I want to do. I envy you guys to be out there for the whole clave and I hope the weather is great and the water is up a bit more.

Mike

Last edited by graewolf on 08 Oct 2008, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Oct 2008, 09:40 • #69 
Glass Fanatic

Sorry to see that Jon,and maybe Mike, can't make it. Since I had to beg off last year's, I fully understand. I'm planning on going Thursday and coming out Sat. or Sun. I'd love to have my car parked at Turkey Pen Gap, and would be happy to cooperate with anyone making a day run. But I suspect that pretty much everyone would like to have the car at the "end of trail" for the ride home. One possibility, depending on things like our group size, is no shuttle. As is, we're planing on camping at Wolf Ford, which seems to be 4 miles in from the top, with 8 more to go down to the bottom (I realize the camp site location may change, I'm just writing out loud here). It seems that the elevation change in those 4 miles is only about 200 feet, which is nothing; one of my favorite pack in streams has 700 feet in the last 1.5 miles, brtually concentrated in the last half of that, and you just have to take your time (that 200 feet is along the S. Mills, although I have maps showing both a trail along the stream and the official trail going up - and down, and up, etc. - a ridge away from the stream to connect to another trail - any problem with the streamside trail, Kevin? I think I heard someone say it was fine.). So if low numbers make shuttle difficult, we could simply go in and out from the top, and water/fish conditions might be best up there anyway. Don't misunderstand, I'd like to see the whole stretch of stream, just writing out loud here.

I'll bring a small stove, filter, and solo tent. I should be able to pack this weekend and see what I can fit.

Bob

Post 08 Oct 2008, 12:48 • #70 
Emeritus

Hello- I am going to leave the house early on Thursday and should be in the area around 8:30-9:00 AM, I can get there earlier if need be. Per what Upstreeam said, we can all just park at the upper lot, or I can meet someone, at the Turkey Pen Lot so we can leave a vehicle (mine if need be) as a shuttle if anyone wants to do the last 8mi, as I would be up for it. I am planning to be there Thursday-Saturday.

Here is a map between the two lots (I think).

http://maps.google.com/ma ... 129968,0.219727&z=12

(A side note: I may also stay Saturday night at Davidson River campground for some easy camping near the car. This way I can get a shower, refresh and possibly fish for a bit on Sunday.)

Corey

Last edited by HouzeHead on 08 Oct 2008, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 02:21 • #71 
Emeritus
Thanks guys, I think I see a tentative theme here ... parking at the Upstreeam Image trailhead. let's continue the discussion.

Folks could still explore a ways down towards Turkey Pen- especially on Friday if they're early risers and feel up to some trail time along the way. I'm thinking that's my current plan, then fishing closer to camp on Saturday. We'll have to see how the water is.

I'm not decided as to staying over Saturday night now that our numbers are somewhat diminished- hoping to hear a "can do" from Andrew, Cameron and anyone else. They would be missed!

CreationBear and graewolf, and Cameron (via PM's) thanks for keeping us posted! Mike, if we end up planning a more "upstream end" on Saturday, it might make it easier for you to count on meeting up with folks on that end of the river which could be a comfortable out and back for you.

I'm waiting on Brad Sprinkle's reply (local TU Prez) as to trail conditions. BTW it's been very dry but we had a nice steady rain the last 36 hours. The level has held low but steady above 30cfs in October and has currently spiked above 50:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov ... &PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Hey, I'm getting the msg we don't need my two big tarps ... ? I'll be hammocking with a fly ... but will have the 8x12 as mentioned ...

Post 09 Oct 2008, 02:37 • #72 
Emeritus
Cameron has offered us the SPOT GPS tracker for our trip, which is nice given the lack of cell phone connectivity.

If you wish to have a phone number added to the list of the unit's automatic updates, PLEASE PROVIDE to my PM by this Monday Oct. 13th.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 07:37 • #73 
Guide
Kevin, and all guys going to the Clave:

Have a great time and take lots of good photos of everything for us work-bound unlucky ones that can't make it this year. I hope to see you all on the local waters maybe later in the Fall or for sure in the Spring. Best of luck!

Mike Image

Post 09 Oct 2008, 10:04 • #74 
Administrator
middlemac ... I am hoping that the SPOT Messenger is en route to South Carolina as we type ... and will pass it along to you as soon as I get it. It is really easy to use and it will be fun for the rest of us to follow the progress of the group.

As far as my chances for making it up there for the Thursday ... it is looking a bit doubtful. First ... the several people that expressed interest in riding up with me for the day have backed out ... and then some changes at work, with people out for training or vacation, have me desk bound for most of the week to cover in their absence. Damn ...

Post 09 Oct 2008, 10:40 • #75 
Glass Fanatic
Is the count now three for camping? Any for a day trip?
I'm now worried that I discouraged y'all from the shuttle idea. I'm game; with packs, downhill, water crossings, etc., the 8 miles is probably 3 hrs., maybe a bit more, doing nothing but hiking (yeah, we'll probably have done some fishing downstream before then). And then 45 mins. or so to drive up to the top for any cars we've left there. Really, however, we want to spend the time.
And I can stay Sat. night or come out before.
Oh, and I think I'm retracting my offer to bring two rods; that case is longer - and heavier - than I thought.

Bob

Last edited by Upstreeam on 09 Oct 2008, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply