It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Jun 2008, 06:12 • #1 
Inactive
While it is great to have so much interest in my rods, I have decided to shut things down for a while. This is a tough decision as I really enjoy talking with new and old customers and building them the "perfect" rod. However, the flood of orders from late last year and this spring has caused some delays, canceled orders, and unfortunately hard feelings with several customers. This is the worst part for me as I really value the interaction with the customer before, during, and after the build. I have a lot of customers that I have gotten to know well and consider friends. It certainly has never been my intention to have people wait 6 months plus for a rod. Although someone posted here a while back that they don't see why it is so hard to set up a delivery schedule and stick to it, it actually is difficult at times. I guess I am at fault for being too optimistic about delivery dates, but there a certain things that are out of my control. I have about 6 different suppliers that I rely on for things like cork, glass, and guides. A delay in the supply of any of these causes delays in rods and this just snowballs down the line. That said, I don't want to come across as being upset. I don't blame anyone who has cancelled their rod orders.

I have a significant amount of orders now that I will continue working hard to fill as quickly as possible. After that I'm done, at least for a while. I have several design projects that have been on hold that I want to finish up (namely the glass Spey rod and some new Para models) and I am also trying to get my bamboo rods off the ground. I hope to be back before too long. Until then look forward to some sweet tapers to come.

Mike McFarland

Post 12 Jun 2008, 06:16 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I cherish my 3 wt. Good luck to you and go fishing.

Post 12 Jun 2008, 15:15 • #3 
Guide
Mike,

I cannot think of any more beautiful rods than the ones you craft. One of the reasons you are inundated is that you provide an amazing product at an amazing price. Perhaps if you raised prices demand would become more manageable. I pulled out my 8' 3" 6wt 4 piece tonight and cast it in your honor. It is an amazing rod and a thing of beauty. The 5 piece 5wt I built is also wonderful, but not as pretty. I eagerly await the new tapers.

Steve Bacon

Last edited by MuddlerOH on 16 Jun 2008, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Jun 2008, 23:49 • #4 
Guide

Mike- I know after a period of time finishing your current orders and playing around with new tapers and bamboo you'll return refreshed - I know this year's been a whirlwind. I have to say that I just returned from a few days on the W. Branch of the Ausable in NY and the 8'3" 5 wt. again brought a smile to my face, landing 6 or 7 big browns 17-20", handling both heavy nymphs, dry/dropper rigs, and dries equally well - truly the all-round rod I wanted - it's been over a year of heavy fishing with this rod, and I love it as much as the first time I fished it. Whatever you come up with over this next period of time will be well worth it.
Regards, Steve

Post 16 Jun 2008, 01:44 • #5 
Administrator
You know ... this does seem like a sad note but I really do think that this will only yield more wonders to come from the McFarland rod shop. I am really excited about what could be coming down the road ... namely the two handers in development! Put me on that list for sure.

(This thread needed a photo)

I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding build times and then unexpected extensions. I believe that McFarland's rods are worth every bit of the wait ... even if it is longer than expected. I've recently heard some cane builders are on 3-5 year waiting lists which makes waiting a couple of extra months with Mike McFarland seem quite reasonable.

Post 16 Jun 2008, 02:46 • #6 
Guide
Mike,

This situation is similar to one found in large format photography (another one of my vices). In that field there are two kinds of camera makers, large production companies and small custom producers. The work of the small producers is very individualistic and highly sought after for the quality of work and the uniqueness of features developed by that producer. It is not unheard of to have a 2-3 year wait for a camera and for some very special models it may take five years. It seems to me that whatever the product, quality work takes time and if you wish to purchase something from a craftsman rather than a factory you should be prepared to wait until it is ready.

Your forthrightness is commendable and shows your commitment to your craft over profit. Not long ago a highly respected camera maker took the other path and his company and reputation have yet to recover. Work to your standards not those of the impatient.

Enjoy the time off.

K

Post 16 Jun 2008, 02:51 • #7 
Administrator
NevadaK wrote:
Mike,

Enjoy the time off.

K

I would guess that he is hardly looking at it as time off since he is back ordered ... and I know that he has at least one (mine) 8'3" seven weight to complete!

Post 16 Jun 2008, 05:18 • #8 
Guide

As I just found out about you six months ago and was hoping to switch over to finishing out fiberglass rods since I don't have time to make cane anymore myself. But, when it comes to the time thing I understand perfectly.

Bill Walters

Last edited by Canewrap on 16 Jun 2008, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Jun 2008, 07:04 • #9 
Master Guide
Mike
As a rod builder myself, I understand how a vendor can and will screw up production/deliveries of the finished product. IMO, the way you're handling the situation is the most honorable solution to a bad situation.
That said, I knew I should have ordered one of your blanks last year! (LOL)

Post 16 Jun 2008, 07:23 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Mike
I know how tough of a situation you must be in to have to refuse orders.
Your rods and blanks are great and worth the wait.
My wife loves the rod I made with your Vintage blank.
At times I get overwhelmed with work as well and unfortunately I don't trust anyone to work on the rods I put my name on.
18 hour days and no time to go fishing gets old.
Most of us make rods because we love the work when you are overwhelmed it makes it hard to enjoy your work let alone be creative.
With time it will all work out!
The most important thing is you are on top of the situation.
All my best to you and I will be looking forward to your new tapers and your line of cane rods.
Tight Lines and McFarland Loops
Andy M

Post 17 Jun 2008, 02:08 • #11 
Inactive
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is much appreciated. I do really enjoy building, but the design side of things is what I like best and I have not been able to do much of that lately. I also have been having trouble keeping up with emails and phone calls. This was another area of concern. I don't like taking a week to respond to messages. I have always done my best to give accurate and detailed info. This takes a LOT of time (how many of you have received emails from me at 2:00 am) but it is another part of this that I really enjoy. I love to talk about rods, tapers, and actions. This is why a phone call to me for a simple question often turns into a 45 minute coversation. I just have a certain way I like to do things and unfortunately they all take a long time. Like Andy, I also can't have anyone else work on my rods. So my apologies to those waiting on rods as well as those who are waiting for return calls or emails.

And YES, the rod gathering next month is still on. Hope lots of you can make it.

Post 17 Jun 2008, 13:21 • #12 
Master Guide
Hi Mike ... hmmm, sounds like you may be at a threshold ... either dive in and go full time into rodmaking, hire some help, etc ... or back off the threshold ... tough choices ... risks can be quite anxiety provoking ... either way, I wish you the very best ... and am confident you will do just fine ...

... if I may make a suggestion ... go fishing!..
Bob

P.S.: I'm gonna make darn sure I get to the July gathering before SAltsh and JASTrout so I can get first pick of the litter ... Image

Last edited by bob4st on 17 Jun 2008, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jun 2008, 13:22 • #13 
Master Guide
Mike, I for one am honored to call you a friend, can not wait until the July gathering, however, I simply will now have to sleep with one eye open in Coburn, so my new Spruce Creek 8' 5 wght, does not disappear to some glass thief in the night! For those guys that have only E-mailed or talked over the phone with Mike you quickly get a sense of his pride in his workmanship, but when one has the opportunity to spend time in person then his passion in rods can be the most fun any fly fisherman can image. You still will be my featured speaker at the Sept TU meeting, and dinner is on the chapter, Enjoy your wonderful family.

New Topic Add Reply