It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 May 2008, 06:37 • #1 
Emeritus
I'm a terrible procrastinator with one foot still in the job market and another in retirement. (For the third time) I'm about as disorganized as they come. What i'm wondering is, with several more Colorado characters on board this year than last, would anyone be interested in a get-together. Cameron has mentioned that he would like to see one next year on the Poudre River/Ft. Collins area. I'm rather partial to the Arkansas/Salilda area. So Colorado guys (or anyone who wants to speak up) what do you say?

Post 29 May 2008, 13:08 • #2 
Glass Fanatic

I know the Arkansas well, and have never fished the Cache la Poudre. Both have tons of public access. The Poudre might be a little closer to the airport. The Arkansas has a better reputation for dry flies. Might depend on time of year. I would attend either way. The KOA in Cotapaxi would make a great focal point if we pick the Arkansas ... it has a motel, camping cabins, and campsites. And some private water. The Poudre I would have to research (that is not all bad ... exploring a new fishery!) Isn't one of the forum members in Colorado a Ft. Collins guy? Fished the Blue with Cam this winter? Sorry I cannot remember your name.

Howard, in mid to late June we should go fish Crystal Lake near Leadville together. I would welcome the chance to meet you, and spend the day bending some glass. Please, keep that in the back of your head. With the late spring, it is still too soon for the hot dry fly action there (voice of experience!) but by late June it should be good. We don't have to wait for Cameron next year, we could do one this summer and next year!

wacokid54

Post 29 May 2008, 14:44 • #3 
Emeritus
Hey Waco. I would love to meet some time on Crystal Lake. Is it good for tubing? I actually like fishing the Leadville area. I wasn't suggesting we wait until next year. Quite the opposite. I know that the Poudre hosts a lot of kayakers and rafters. What I like about the Arkansas is if you stay away from between Buena Vista and Salida you usually don't see the heavy raft traffic. But I'm up for anywhere. Keep me posted about Crystal Lake.

Post 01 Jun 2008, 15:53 • #4 
Guide
Either would be GREAT! What dates were you considering?

Post 02 Jun 2008, 03:18 • #5 
Emeritus
Rio Seco, I'm open for most anytime after runoff clears. I will be gone July 11-13 weekend for a birthday trip to the Blue around Heeney Co. I'm fairly sure that Wacokid is also open. (Correct me if i'm wrong Dennis) Feel free to add if you have favorite water you'd like to share or a specific date. I just want to fish with some new friends. I am really hoping that some of the other Colorado guys will chime in and job us.

Post 03 Jun 2008, 02:17 • #6 
Guide

This is a great idea and I would love to participate. While the planning goes on for the future Clave I would like to suggest that those of us that would like to do a quick one day get together and share rods to cast it would not hurt to consider meeting right now during high water at one of the local ponds in the Denver/Boulder area. Past experience has seen 3 to 5 hours go by pretty quick in this kind of get together.

The other thing about meeting on a good river after runoff is over is that when the fish are rising it would be hard to spend as much time shaking hands or sharing rods.

WADAYATHINK?
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall8 on 03 Jun 2008, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Jun 2008, 03:58 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
At the price of gas these days, a gitteegether at a local bass/bluegill pond is not a bad idea. I don't know of a good one down here in Centennial. Anyone have a known favorite somewhere with room to backcast from shore, that also allows float tubes? Beer might be involved. Also, think about the last weekend in June for a day at Crystal Lake near Leadville for a midge/callibaetis/damsel day. Howard, is this thing taking on a life of it's own?

wacokid54

Post 03 Jun 2008, 04:08 • #8 
Emeritus
That sounds pretty good to me. Marshall do you have any particular place in mind. (Please don't say Westminster Rec Center) It would be fun to do some tubing also. I'm just waiting for one of you big strong take charge type of guys to step up and take over.

Post 03 Jun 2008, 05:22 • #9 
Guide
I'm a great follower so just go ahead and call the shots and the rest of us will step in line.

While I don't dislike lake fishing its hard to recall the last time I did it intentionally. If we wanted to travel just a bit, Lilly Lake with a tube can make for a good all around day. Fish are picky but I have made some memories there. If we stay in the lowlands there are a bunch of ponds/lakes I have only driven by. It would be neat to find one famous for holding a bunch of carp that I also have never tried to cast to. Maybe someone with EXPERIENCE will chime in. I assume Sat or Sun is best to involve more of us.

Marshall

Post 05 Jun 2008, 12:45 • #10 
Emeritus
Well, if I had my druthers, I'd probably wait a bit and see how soon the runoff peaks. I'd also like to see a few more people show some interest, including those in neighboring states. Let's try to get the word out.

Post 05 Jun 2008, 14:37 • #11 
Administrator
Howard ... if I were a few states closer to Colorado. I'd be there.

Post 06 Jun 2008, 09:52 • #12 
Emeritus
You know you'd be welcome any time Cam. I've already sent my wife out to find pimento cheese just in case ... Image So we have Wacokid54, Marshall8, Rio Seco and cofisher. Anybody cook? Image

Post 08 Jun 2008, 16:02 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Howard, I am a cooking fool. Why do you ask ... are you hungry?

Rocky Mountain Arsenal finally opens on the 14th of June. I will be there with my 9ft 8 wt Fenwick.

Post 12 Jun 2008, 13:59 • #14 
Guide
September and October are very nice in the southern Rockies. My summer calendar is rapidly filling. I live in Albuquerque, which is "on the way" to lots of places ... . or so many family members think!

Post 13 Jun 2008, 03:33 • #15 
Emeritus

Wacokid, I think bar-b-qued steaks sound really good. Yes, I'm always hungry. I crown you chief cook. I won't be able to make it to the arsenal this weekend. Wife has some professional colleagues coming over. She made me promise to stay home and help entertain. After all, how often does one get to sip a few and tease a bunch of therapists. Image

Rio Seco, I always float the Arkansas River in September. If you have a date free in early Sept. I would be pleased to meet you there to float or wade. I'm sure Waco would try to make it, right Dennis. The fall fishing on the Ark is awesome when the browns are getting ready to spawn.

Marshall, would this work for you?

Post 16 Jun 2008, 15:41 • #16 
Guide
Sorry for the delayed response and yes that would be great.

Marshall

Post 23 Jun 2008, 13:37 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
On Sunday, June 29th, I am headed to Crystal Lake outside of Leadville, Colorado for a day of (hopefully) dry fly fishing. I would welcome the chance to meet any forum members there, and cast some glass. It is right beside US 24, about 9 miles south of Leadville on the west side of the road. Go past the old house and turn in at the sign, and follow the gravel road back NW to the parking lot. You can tube, canoe, wade, or fish from shore. This is not a huge pond, but it gets stocked heavily with rainbows and has wild browns. Normal MO is catching lots of small to medium fish on drys and emergers. Hatches are

Midges ... 18 or 20 black from dawn till about 9:00 or later

Callabaetis nymph, emerger, cripple or dry 10:00 till maybe 1:00 or 2:00

Damsels nymph or dry somewhere in there in the middle of the day

ants, beetles and small hoppers ... variable, sometimes killer after lunch

I will be arriving at the lake about 8:00 AM and leaving around 3:00

There is a pit toilet, but no picnic tables or shade, so if you need either of those, bring one! It takes about 1 1/2 hours from the Morrison exit on I-70. Best route is I-70 to Copper Mountain exit, take that highway south over Fremont pass to leadville, and follow US 24 south to Crystal Lake.

I will be driving a gold color 4 door Honda Accord. I am the handsome guy (hah), 6ft, heavy, with a Van Dyke beard (gray) and a Cortland glass rod with a Pflueger Medalist on it.

Please, PM me with questions and cross fingers for good weather

Post 25 Jun 2008, 08:46 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Leadville's Sunday forecast is

Scattered thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 30s. Chance of rain ... 40%.

Chance of no rain ... 60%! The storms usually move thru quick and you are back on the water.

More Fun! (my favorite line from the Mighty Ducks)

Wacokid54

New Topic Add Reply