It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 08:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 May 2008, 15:27 • #1 
I just aquired a " HI " Ike Walton 1346 Fiber-glass rod ( made in Utica, NY ) with what is said to be the original ' automatic ' reel as a combination " set "! Circa ~~~ 1940s? Beautiful Condition. .. any ideas on what I have or what's it worth?

Post 08 May 2008, 16:26 • #2 
Administrator
flifisherman,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

The rod could be anywhere from late 40s to mid 60s vintage. Some of the HI automatic reels from that time were pretty cool.

To really pin down the rod age and value, we would need to know the length and see some photos. But typically HI rods have more value as fishing tools than collectibles. Have you taken it out for a test cast yet?

Tom

Post 24 Jun 2008, 05:12 • #3 
Thank you for your reply. ...

I have not had a chance to use the rod yet , but plan to spool it with a 5wt. and give her a shot. A friend saw it the other day and remarked, " Man. .. I have never seen such a flexible fiber-glass rod! ". ... ( neither have I ). ... After cleaning up the reel and wiping down the rod with T2000 ( vinel cleaner ) it looks brand new!

flifisherman

Post 24 Jun 2008, 05:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Most of those older rods will be happier casting with a 6wt, but everybody's tastes vary. My current favorite crick rod is an old H-I, I think it is a Mohaw 8ft.
Pictures, we love pictures!
Keith

New Topic Add Reply