It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:26

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Apr 2008, 19:06 • #1 
Inactive
As many of you know, the rod gathering we had last month in Spruce Creek was a great event. It was great to meet some of the forum members and a good time was had by all. Well, we now have the dates set for a summer rod gathering. The next gathering will be on July 25, 26, and 27th. The site will be The Feathered Hook in Coburn PA. Jonas Price, the owner of the Feathered Hook, has gratiously offered the use of his B&B for the event. The Feathered Hook is a really nice place that is located on the famous Penn's Creek here in central PA. Jonas is a great guy and his B&B and fly shop are first class. He also happens to be a rod junkie who specializes in bamboo and generally has 30 plus new and vintage bamboo rods in stock. He is now stocking glass rods as well. In many ways visiting the town of Coburn and The Feathered Hook is like stepping back in time by 50 years. (How many places can you test cast a rod in the middle of Main Street?) The fishing in the area is phenomenal. I can't think of a better place for a rod gathering.
We have a limited number of spots available for those who are interested in staying at the Feathered Hook. Thanks to Jonas's generosity, the cost to stay at the Inn will be $150 for the entire weekend including lodging both nights as well as all programs (tying seminars, casting demo's, etc.), food (steaks, shrimp,brats, etc.), beer, and wine. Jonas will not only provide the lodging, but also the breakfasts. My wife and I will handle lunch and dinner. This is a ridiculously low price and is simply to help Jonas and I cover the cost of food and other supplies. For those who would like to attend but do not want to stay at the Inn, there is no cost to join the daily events. Everyone is welcome to stop by, cast rods, have lunch, and fish. Some of the programs we have planned at this point are:
Making Furled Thread Leaders by Glenn Weisner
Fly Tying Demo(patterns to be announced) with Glenn Weisner and Wayne Samson
(This will most likely be an evening event for those staying at the Inn as I doubt we will be able to drag these two guys of the water during daylight)
Casting Demo by Mike McFarland (Disclaimer: I am not an expert caster or a certified casting instructor. I have never even had a casting lesson. In fact, to some of you I am probably not even any good. However, if you are having trouble with your casting I might be able to help to some extent.)
I may also do a short rod wrapping demo if anyone is interested. I am open to suggestions for other programs as well.

The main purpose of this event is to meet new people, cast new rods, and make some new friends. I hope a lot of you can attend. You can look at
www.thefeatheredhook.com for more info. We will be right on Penn's Creek as well as two smaller streams that offer great fishing also. The tricos should be on and Jonas says the 17 year cicadas should be on also. It will be a great time. We have about 10 beds remaining and they are available to the first who respond. Please email me at ***email address removed******email address removed***[/url] if you are interested in attending.

Last edited by Spruce Creek on 04 Apr 2008, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Apr 2008, 13:41 • #2 
Master Guide
Hello Mike:
... I'll be there in July ... Jonas' place has everything you could possibly need ... it doesn't get any better than that ... In fact, I'm headed down there April 18-20 in an attemp to hit the Grannom hatch ... so stop in and we'll do some fishin and eatin ... that goes for anyone else ... be glad to show ya'all around to some of my favorite spots ... uh, I said "some" ...
Later,
Bob

Post 06 Apr 2008, 02:48 • #3 
Master Guide
Mike--

Email sent!Image I went to grad school at PSU, so it will be great to be back in the neighborhood (when there's not snow on the ground ... )

Jon

Post 06 Apr 2008, 03:14 • #4 
Master Guide
I plan to be there, as everything that Mike said is dead on, it will be pure fly fishing heaven. The Feathered Hook is the warmest fly shop one can find, Jonas and Jim Kelly make everyone feel welcomed and had the skills to teach this rookie the wonderful world of bamboo. Just listening to Glenn and Wayne, you can not help to absorb tons of information. And Mike and Amanda treat their guests like royalty. Bob, I hope you show us one of your magic spots on Penn's?

Post 09 Apr 2008, 00:07 • #5 
Master Guide
... Heck, I'd show up even if I never fished in my life ... the meals, home-made pies and great company are enough to get me there! ... Mike's team can whip up some serious stuff! ... I consumed more pie and coffee in one weekend than I'd normally do in 6 months ... ok, so I exaggerated about the coffee ...
Bob

Post 09 Apr 2008, 00:37 • #6 
Administrator
There is going to be pie!?! Now I really wish I was going to be there. Pies of all sorts are my favorite.

For birthdays I for go the cake for a homemade pie ...

I think this one was apple. The trout on top was a nice touch.

Post 10 Apr 2008, 13:46 • #7 
Master Guide
... hey, that's pretty neat! ... did you do that? ...

Bob

Post 20 May 2008, 16:06 • #8 
Inactive
If anyone is considering staying with us at the Feathered Hook please let me know ASAP. We can still fit about 2 or 3 more people and then we will have to look for other lodging. FYI, there are no luxury hotels in Coburn Image so the Hook is your best bet. We have had a lot of water this spring and cool temps, so conditions should still be great this summer. So far we have guest, most of which are members of the forum, coming from PA, OH, NY, MD, and NC (and I may be missing some). It will be a great weekend. Hope you can attend.

Post 22 May 2008, 14:04 • #9 
Master Guide
Mike, we'll be there in spirit only. Wish I could get back east. My daughter's getting married in July in Albuquerque (or however it's spelled) and we're heading down that a way. One of these days I'll make it. I promise.
Have a great time and down a few for me.
Alan

Post 24 May 2008, 00:41 • #10 
Master Guide
G-Morning Mike:
Yes, I'll be staying with yas at the Feathered Hook ... check with Jonas, as he may have already booked me in for you ... planning on bringing a guest as well ... and lastly, I'm NOT going to get LOST like the last time ... Image
Bob

Post 24 May 2008, 11:38 • #11 
Master Guide
Well, Bob you may have arrived alittle late, but it was worth the wait to meet you. I had hoped to catch up this morning with Mike, Glenn, and Wayne on Spring Creek, but being on call sometimes changes one's plans. I have a friend flying up from North Carolina, bringing a custom lamiglass 7'6" 4 wght 3 piece to pair it up with Mike's wonderful 8'5 wght Spruce Creek. Mike's rod tempts me to sell some graphite, which now will collect dust. What reel did you match up with your Spruce Creek? Take care, see you soon Jeff

Post 24 May 2008, 14:05 • #12 
Master Guide
Hi Jeff:
... Thanks ... I'm thinking of braving the holiday traffic and cruising down to Jonas' place tomorrow morning ... first I gotta stop at my buddy Dennis' place on the West Branch of Delaware ... have to pick up a rod repair and test drive a few bamboo he made ... then I gotta convince him to throw his gear in the Bug and head southwest to Spring Creek and Penns ... however, he reported risers in front of his place this morning ... likely to BWO or small spinners ... if there's good action, then I might not leave for PA ... simply stay there and hit the evening hatch ... we'll see ...
... As for the McFarland 8' for #5, I'm using a Pflueger 1494 on it that that Bill Franke (One Pfoot) "pimped" for me ... been using them quite a bit lately ... they handle the hard runs from those big 15"-20" West Branch Browns nicely ... the old fashioned "clack-clack-clack" of the ratchet system tends to get some attention on a run ... that and the glass or bamboo always leads to conversation ... 98% of the time it's positive ... but every once in a while I run into a 'monty' ... once had a guy ask me "why I would limit myself" with such gear "when graphite casts sooo much better" ... I was so suprised, I didn't know what to say ... enough rambling ... time to hit the sack ...
Bob

Post 11 Jul 2008, 07:11 • #13 
Inactive
We are down to 2 weeks until the Summer Rod Gathering. It looks like all of the spots at The Feathered Hook are full. There is still the possibility of a cancellation though, so if anyone is still interested in staying with us please send me a PM or email and I can notify you if we do have a spot open up. For anyone who would like to stop in during the day, we will have "Open House" hours from 11:00am until 5:00pm with lunch being served at around noon. We will be having some events in the afternoon. Details are still undecided, but I will try to post a schedule soon. Everyone is welcome and there is no charge. I would like anyone who is planning to attend the Open House to let me know so we can plan how much food we need. I just want to emphasize that this is a great chance to see and in some cases cast a great collection of glass and bamboo rods. In addition to my own rods there will be a wide variety of vintage and modern glass from various makers. There will also be lots of bamboo and some graphite as well. Everyone is encouraged to bring there favorite rods regardless of brand or material. If anyone has any questions (directions, other places to stay, etc.) just let me know. I am really excited about the event and look forward to meeting many new forum members.

Post 12 Jul 2008, 17:16 • #14 
Administrator
Damn ... I still wish I could make this Gathering. I'll be looking forward to full report like last time ... and hopefully the thread will be PHOTO HEAVY!

Post 13 Jul 2008, 02:36 • #15 
Master Guide
Cameron-- What I'm worried about is Mike and Jonas giving some of us the "once-over" as we get out of our cars and deciding that it would be cheaper to build us a #%### rod than to feed us for the weekend. Judging from photos from previous gatherings up there, some of us are "full-growed men," as we say.Image

Post 13 Jul 2008, 02:41 • #16 
Master Guide

... I might be able to convince my wife to let me take her new camera with me ... I'll probably have to leave her collateral, call in daily to report I didn't drop it in the water or spill beer on it, etc ... she loves that camera ... I gotta give ya credit Cameron, she took your advice and moved up to DSLR ... best camera I've ever used ... but what would I know, I've been buying those $8 box cameras for damn near 15 years ...
Bob

Post 13 Jul 2008, 07:24 • #17 
Master Guide
Creationbear, Yes you are so correct, as after looking at my fat gut picture, thank you Duff, I got real serious, and now am down 20lbs, hope by Mike's event to be 25, as Amanda is such a great cook. Looking forward to this event, and hope to meet some new faces. Of course the hard part is not to drop too much $$ with Jonas, wow, does he have the best selection of rods. See you soon Bob

Post 13 Jul 2008, 10:31 • #18 
Master Guide
Image ... yup, see you there ... hope it ain't too hot ... hope it ain't too cold ... gotta be just right for us guys that'er gettin old ...

... by the way, that weekend Jim Downes will be closing on a house about 8 miles down the road from Jonas' place ... he's retiring from MD and gonna assist Jonas a bit in the shop ... he crafts excellent bamboo rods ... former student and buddy of George Mauer ... Jonas tries to keep 5 or 6 in stock at the shop ... we'll test drive a few when Mike's not lookinImage ...

... a have this great retirement vision ... Mike and Jim make the rods, Jonas sells them, I move there and fish em ... I'm still workin on my wife with that idea ... she's not entirely convinced it's a good financial move ...
Bob

Last edited by bob4st on 13 Jul 2008, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Jul 2008, 10:51 • #19 
Master Guide
Thanks for the updates, gentlemen ... I look forward to meeting all of y'all and being back in that part of the Commonwealth--would you believe I spent three years in Happy Valley and didn't wet a line? Hopefully between the eating and casting sessions, we'll be able to scare up a few fish for ourselves ... Image

Post 13 Jul 2008, 12:48 • #20 
Master Guide
Creationbear, Looking forward to meet you, and Bob tells me there are fish in those streams. It will be great to met Mr. Downs, as his rods are very valued for quality of both action and esthetics. I too hope the weather is acceptable.

Post 15 Jul 2008, 06:00 • #21 
Inactive
We had a cancellation and have one remaining spot at The Feathered Hook. Send me a PM if interested.

Post 17 Jul 2008, 23:39 • #22 
Inactive
All spots at the Feathered Hook are full, though we will have one spot available for Saturday evening only if anyone is interested. I can also arrange for lodging in nearby State College if anyone else would like to join us.

Everyone is still welcome during the open house hours from 11:00am to 5:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Stop by for lunch, say hello, and cast some rods.

Post 19 Jul 2008, 14:29 • #23 
Master Guide
... but Mike, most of the beds are doubles! ... therefore, you could sleep three to four short folks on one double if they sleep across the bed ... and three tall ones if two sleep with their heads towards the headboard and one sleeps with his/her head towards the foot board ... that's a good 6 to seven spaces ... then there are the two dining room tables, a kitchen table and a fly tying table ... heck, there's four more spaces right there! ... gee this reminds me of when I took hotel-motel management back in college ... I failed, but sure learned alotImage ...
Bob

Post 21 Jul 2008, 07:28 • #24 
Inactive
In addition to the great group of guests including talent like Glenn Weisner, Wayne Samson, and Joe Cornwall, we will also be joined by Tom Baltz and Charlie Meck.

Tom Baltz is a multiple time PA State fly tying champion, Orvis Guide of the Year, and a superb caster and fly fisher. He ties some of the cleanest flies you will ever see and has some very innovative patterns. He will be joining in on the tying demos throughout the weekend.

Charlie Meck is a well known author and the creator of the Patriot dry fly. He has written numerous books including Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania and Fishing Small Streams with a Fly Rod. If you have any of Charlie's books bring them to be autographed. He will be with us on Saturday.

Post 21 Jul 2008, 13:01 • #25 
Master Guide

Mike, You are setting up a great group of individuals that not only are world class fly tyers, but super human beings. I had the honor to have Charlie Meck signed my collection of his great books, and he went out to his truck to give me a few of his special loop Patriot flies found in his latest book "Fishing Tandem Flies". Mr Baltz has the best midge pattern I have ever fished, plus his wet flies are just too pretty. WOW, looking forward to next Friday. The weather looks pretty good, keep one's fingers crossed!

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply