It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:40

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Oklahoma Outing
Post 22 May 2008, 16:58 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I got back home yesterday evening. I came home a day earlier than planned because the zipper on my tent failed and it looked like a storm was moving in. Of course, within an hour of breaking camp, the storm had dissipated. Kurt remained behind for a couple of days to get in some trout fishing. Since nobody else was able to make it, we didn't fish any of the areas we were halfway familiar with, but searched out some new water. This meant that we spent a good part of one day just driving around on timber roads in the McCurtain County Wilderness Area, looking for some places to access Buffalo Creek. We finally found some spots, but unfortunately the fish gods were not smiling upon us. All we managed were some husky sunfish and a couple of small spotted bass. With results like that, I was almost glad nobody else showed up. We'll try it again sometime and pick out waters we are more familiar with. Oh well, at least it got me away from work for a few days. I am leaving tomorrow to join my daughter and her family at a church camp, which just happens to have a nice smallmouth bass stream running through it. Of course I am taking a few rods and a canoe. My son-in-law and grandson are also ready for some fishing.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 23 May 2008, 02:03 • #27 
Master Guide
Larry
Sorry to hear that y'all didn't catch more fish, but it happens like that sometimes. I still would have liked to have been able to make it there to fish with y'all.
On Monday, Edie and I are headed down to Galveston to get her Medical problem taken care of, so I'm guessing that I'll be out of the loop for a while.
Maybe next time.

Oklahoma Outing
Post 23 May 2008, 04:32 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Hate i didn't make it up there; but it don't always go my way; hate the fish weren't biting; hope you have some luck at the church camp-p-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 23 May 2008, 05:02 • #29 
Guide
I tried to get up yesterday early enough to make it up but was just tooooo tired. Glad you caught something even though it wasn't exactly what you had in mind. Maybe next time. -J-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 27 May 2008, 12:43 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
My fishing for the week was not so good, though it was great to get out and about for a while. While at Dwight Mission, a Presbyterian church camp located on Sallisaw Creek in northeastern Oklahoma, I did manage to get away for a while with my son-in-law and my five year old grandson. We floated my canoe 2-3 miles down the creek, though we did have to get out and drag the canoe a time or two due to low water. I only managed one or two small spotted bass and a few green sunfish. But my grandson managed to land a couple of smallmouth. I don't recall my son-in-law catching anything. Logan, my grandson, is rather intense about his fishing. He doesn't like to use bait, but prefers to use lures. He will stand and cast for two or three hours without pausing. He caught his first fish, a spotted bass, about three to four weeks ago, and now he wants to go fishing all the time. I may have created a monster. He is a little young for the fly rod at this time, but as soon as he is able to use one, I have an old one or two he can have.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 29 May 2008, 06:43 • #31 

Barry, Gene, Larry et al,

The following is my version of Larry's and my trip to the Mountain Fork River last week.

To sum it up, the fishing was great but the catching was so-so. It was a big disappointment WRT smallmouth fishing. Didn't catch a single one. I caught a spotted bass that went about a pound on Buffalo Creek but finding a place to fish without a guide was tough. We drove all over the back country on logging roads east of the upper Mountain Fork River trying to find access points to Buffalo and Big Hudson Creek. Found the first but never did find Big Hudson which was supposed to have good bass fishing.

On a brighter note, Barry's TFO 6'10" fiberglass rod performed flawlessly. It felt great with a 6FWF. I matched it up with a Bronson 380. It looks pretty good on Barry's rod. I also tried a Teeney T-130. I didn't like casting it nearly so well but neither did any of my other rods. I hadn't used a sinking tip in some time so I guess casting the 130 takes some practice and getting used to. However, the sink tip did get the flies down and I caught several fish using the line. I just hate casting it. Bulldog must really know how to work that line. He is always singing its praises.

My trout fishing didn't go much better. I caught one nice rainbow in the fast water of Spillway Creek on Wednesday afternoon. Foul hooked him in the tail so he put up one heck of a fight in the fast water.

In fact, it wasn't until Thursday evening I did any good. I went by the Three Rivers Fly Shop Thursday afternoon and visited with Jesse King. Jesse told me to try glow bugs about three feet below my Chernobyl Grasshopper (indicator), making sure to use enough weight to get the fly down in the fast water. He told me to fish a fast water stretch just above the Cold Hole (where a bunch of people fish in lawn chairs using power bait etc).

Now this advice was interesting because a few years ago Jesse badmouthed glow bugs, woolly buggers, and even Prince Nymphs - I think he was in his purist phase at the time. In any event, I tried Jesse's rig and location Thursday evening just after a thunder storm went through. I had the stretch to myself for the most part. The first fish I hooked, then landed, put up one heck of a fight. Bent my Fenwick FF84 almost double, went between my legs, and did about everything it could to get off. I finally landed the rainbow after what seemed like 5 minutes but may have been less time. It was a fat 18 inches and I guess it might have gone 2 pounds. In the fast water, it was a real thrill! In fact, I had to rest my arm just a bit before continuing to fish.

The second fish I hooked must have been its twin and I was really getting excited. Unfortunately, he was on for only about a minute and the hook pulled out. In both cases, they hit the glow bug! I subsequently hooked and landed three more fish in the 12-14 inch range, normally what I consider good fish but under the circumstances I now considered "dinks". I caught all of them on the glow bug. By this time, I had fished the stretch recommended so I hiked back down the train beside the stream and decided to try it again. Getting close to dark, I hooked one more "good fish" but it was a very brief encounter of the disappointing kind. To summarize, I caught almost as many trout in about one hour as the number of fish I had caught earlier all week.

Friday I packed up and headed back to Ada. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I have yet to obtain a waterproof digital camera. One final thing to note - the deer ticks were BAD. I got four pretty serious bites so I'm fishing up a dose of doxycycline as I write this report.

Kurt

Oklahoma Outing
Post 29 May 2008, 09:01 • #32 
Master Guide
Kurt
LOL, it's not "Barry's" rod any more, it's "Kurt's" rod built by Barry. I'm glad it worked out for you. I sure enjoy fishing mine!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply