It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:45

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Oklahoma Outing
Post 31 Mar 2008, 14:00 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I don't really want to call this a 'clave, because there really isn't enough lead time and the time of week might not be convenient for many. I am taking some vacation time May 19-23. Catmanjack (Kurt) and I are heading for the Mountain Fork River at Beavers Bend State Park. For those of you that haven't been there before, the Mountain Fork offers pretty good trout fishing, or if you prefer warmwater fishing, it is also an excellent smallmouth fishery up river above Broken Bow Lake. Aside from the Mountain Fork, there is also the nearby Glover River, probably the best smallmouth fishing in Oklahoma. I will probably be heading that way on May 19, or possibly even May 18. This time frame places the outing during the week rather than on the weekend. I realize this makes it very difficult for many to get away. However, Beavers Bend is a pretty popular park, and by May is getting very crowded every weekend. Also Monday, May 26 is Memorial Day, making for an even busier weekend. We will be camping, and I doubt that any cabins are available for reservation at this time. Anybody that can stand living in a tent for a few days, come join us.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 31 Mar 2008, 14:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Larry; thanks for the invite; some of us texicans just might head that way; its on the calendar-p-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 31 Mar 2008, 22:09 • #3 
Master Guide
Larry Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not a Trout fisherman, but I'd like to come up a give the Smallies a shot. It's on my calendar!

Oklahoma Outing
Post 01 Apr 2008, 08:44 • #4 
Master Guide
Hey Larry ... sounds like fun ... unfortunately I will be with my wife at her best friend's wedding ...

Bud

Oklahoma Outing
Post 01 Apr 2008, 08:46 • #5 
Master Guide
hmmmm ... didn't catch the during the week part ... hmmm ... definite possibilities ...

Bud

Oklahoma Outing
Post 02 Apr 2008, 01:16 • #6 
Master Guide
Hope you can make it Bud, it ought to be a good trip. I tried to let you know that Jim Teeny was going to be in town, but for some reason your ISP has me blocked. However, I talked to him last night at the meeting and he said that y'all got to fish the Nolan yesterday.

Oklahoma Outing
Post 02 Apr 2008, 12:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Barry, Bud, and Gene:

I hope you guys can all make it up for the trip. I'll be talking to Jesse King at the Three Rivers Fly Shop soon to pick his brain about where might be the best places to fish. Barry, I'm with you on the smallies. I'd fish for smallies over trout any day. For me, living in this part of the country, trout are just about the only thing to fish for during the winter months, but as soon as it warms up, I'm ready for bass. My niece's husband Ben may be coming along also. He still fishes with graphite, but maybe we can show him the error of his ways. He also uses his fly rods only for trout, but he's still young. Gene, I picked up a Shakespeare Beaulite that should go real well with that Heddon rod you sold me. I got some WF Headstart line to put on it and I hope to use it real soon. I now have access to several good ponds that I hope to get to just as soon as the rainy weather allows. If I were retired like some people I know, I wouldn't have to wait for the weekend, which this time of year is usually rainy. Bud, if you can indeed spare some time before the wedding, you are sure welcome to join us. But please leave most of your treasures at home or Kurt and I won't get any fishing done.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 03 Apr 2008, 00:45 • #8 
Master Guide
Larry
The trip is on my calender. Weather permitting, I'll be there!

Oklahoma Outing
Post 03 Apr 2008, 13:04 • #9 
Guide
Now you're talking. I'm off Tue - Thur. I'll put this on the calendar and try to make it.

Oklahoma Outing
Post 04 Apr 2008, 22:31 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
LMF is a pretty place and has some nice fish although as Mark said it's been discovered by quite a few anglers in past couple of years. It's best during the week Nov. thru April. They've been generating alot lately, the lake level is way up because of recent rains but Spillway and zone 1 are always fishable. If you get a chance drop by Beavers Bned Fly Shop in the park. Sid's place usually has a few fly fishers milling about drinking coffee. Sometimes they can help with where and how to fish. Dr. Gonzoe is also an excllent source for finding the big browns if you can get hin talking. Hint: get him talking about music and guitars and pretty soon he'll be expounding on his other favorite subject,fishing.

Oklahoma Outing
Post 06 Apr 2008, 13:43 • #11 
Glass Fanatic

I expect the LMF to be pretty crowded for trout fishers at the time of this outing, but so far the plan is to use Beavers Bend as the gathering point, with most of the fishing taking place on the Upper Mountain Fork or the Glover for smallmouth bass. I don't really expect too much crowding in either of those places.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 27 Apr 2008, 16:32 • #12 
Guide
What's the status on Broken Bow/LMF?

Oklahoma Outing
Post 28 Apr 2008, 05:45 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The spillway gates were closed this morning after being open for the past week or so. Now that the lake is down to a manageable level the creek and the river should soon be fishable again. The trout always scatter during these purges so fishing may be hit and miss for a while yet. Check this link for updates; http://www.beaversbendflyshop.com/

Oklahoma Outing
Post 28 Apr 2008, 14:06 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
The outing to Broken Bow is still on as far as I'm concerned. I talked to Jesse King of the Three Rivers Fly Shop last week, and as Frogmorton stated, the spillway gates were open for about a week and a half. As far as I know, this is the first time they have ever had to open the gates since the lake was built. The only spot that could be fished for trout was along the Lost Creek, which is less than 1/4 mile long. The trout fishing will probably be somewhat disturbed for a while, and I imagine much of the habitat improvements that had been made in the stream channel are history as of now. However, the fishing planned for the outing was to be primarily for smallmouth bass. The Upper Mountain Fork above Broken Bow Lake is in good shape. Jesse told me our best bet for smallmouth would be along the Glover River which is only a few miles away. He also mentioned Buffalo Creek, a tributary of the Upper Mountain Fork. I will probably be going to Beavers Bend on May 18 or 19, and will probably stay most of the week. Will let everybody know before that week.

Oklahoma Outing
Post 28 Apr 2008, 18:10 • #15 
Guide
Yes, let me know. I might just motor that way since I'm off Tue - Thur. Did Sids shop ride it out okay, does anybody know?

Oklahoma Outing
Post 29 Apr 2008, 13:36 • #16 
Glass Fanatic

Texascrappiefisherman:

I just checked Sid's website. While the water was rising and before they started releasing water, he and Peggy moved their inventory to higher ground. He actually posted a fishing report today, and he plans to be open as usual this week. The park reopened after just a few days. I think there was some damage along Spillway Creek, but it is back to normal flow levels again. Of course Zones II and III are still running high due to generation. I hope you can make it up on the dates you mentioned.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 29 Apr 2008, 15:13 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
There is a little village about 35 miles northwest of Beaver bend park called battee(or something like that) that has some pretty good fishing on the Glover river. There are some cabins located on the river that are pretty nice and secluded. Each cabin comes with a flat bottom or a canoe and you can put in in town and its about a half day float back to the cabins ... www.treetopviewcabins.com ... . Billie has about the only private property on the river; the rest is owned by the timber companies and you have to buy an annual permit to access the glover-p-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 30 Apr 2008, 13:31 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I've heard of Treetop View Cabins, and they do look nice. However, the cheapest rate is $100.00 per night for 1-2 persons. At this time I am post-taxpaying and pre-tax rebate, so that is a little steep for me. The Glover River is mostly within the Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area, which along with the Honobia Creek Wildlife Management Area, is privately owned property. Through a collaborative arrangement with the Oklahoma Wildlife Dept., these properties allow public use for hunting, fishing, camping, etc. However, as Pearow mentioned, there is an annual land permit required, which costs $16.00 for Oklahoma residents and $25.00 for non-residents. This fee allows you to use these properties throughout the year, which is sort of like having a private hunting and fishing lease on about 450,000 acres of land. The Upper Mountain Fork River above Broken Bow Lake is considered a very good smallmouth fishery, and is outside of these management areas. In this area can also be found Buffalo Creek which I mentioned in an earlier post. The Glover within the Three Rivers WMA is the primary stream in the WMA. Within the Honobia Creek WMA there are several streams that are considered to be good smallmouth streams, such as Honobia Creek, Jack Creek, Blackfork Creek, and Little River.
Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 30 Apr 2008, 14:08 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I should have been more clear; point i was making is that it is an access to the Glover without having to pay the $25 fee; but there are several creeks and the riverabove Beavers bend that is accessible for wading for smallmouths.; I do not think you can find access to the glover without the permit in and about the Beaver bend area-p-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 01 May 2008, 12:04 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Pearow,
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure about access along the Glover. In my copy of the Three River WMA brochure, the map shows most of the Glover to actually lie within US Forest Service land. You do have to cross Weyerhauser land to get to the river, but that is allowed. I will check with some people down that way about the situation. It has been many years since I fished the Glover, and it is a wonderful fishery, though it can be a tough job to float it. How is your back coming along? I hope you can make the trip. I had the same problem back in December, and by the time of the Texas "Glassic", I wasn't certain I would be able to make that trip. Fortunately I was well enough by then.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 01 May 2008, 14:52 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Larry; its really wierd, but i can fish, do yard work; anything but sit for more than 15 minutes; hoping to be better for the outing-p-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 13 May 2008, 12:16 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
As of now I'm planning on heading for Beavers Bend on May 18 (Sunday). Kurt may not leave until Monday, because he has to be out of town for a few days prior to the trip. He may bring a co-worker, Ken Hada, who is the brother of Duane Hada, the well known Arkansas flyfishing guide. If I can get my preferred campsite, I will be in the Hickory campground along the Mountain Fork.coming up from the South, the quickest way in is to take the second 259A exit, about four miles north of the main entrance to the park. It's about four or five miles to the Broken Bow dam, then take the next right turn. At the foot of the hill, you cross the bridge over the river, and then the next right after the bridge, then turn right again into the Hickory loop. I will be in a large dome tent (Kelty), with a white rain fly. I am driving a silver Nissan Frontier king cab pickup, and there will be a green Wenonah canoe atop it. I hope somebody can make it. Right now it sounds like illness or injury may keep some of you away.

Larry

Oklahoma Outing
Post 13 May 2008, 18:46 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Larry; I am not going to make the outing, which I regret very much; I have an out-patient procedure scheduled on my back this friday, but probably will not be recovered enough to make the trip; just be sure to include me in plans for the next one-p-

Oklahoma Outing
Post 14 May 2008, 12:00 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I wish I could be there. I know this is primarily a smallmouth foray but I've read that the trout are active now too. # 20 BWO's are netting 22" rainbows in the creek and in zone 1. This is probably the last week before the summer crowds set in. My next trip there will most likely be around Thanksgiving(sigh). Tight lines fellers.

Oklahoma Outing
Post 16 May 2008, 16:10 • #25 
Guide
Canoeman1947 wrote:
As of now I'm planning on heading for Beavers Bend on May 18 (Sunday). Kurt may not leave until Monday, because he has to be out of town for a few days prior to the trip. He may bring a co-worker, Ken Hada, who is the brother of Duane Hada, the well known Arkansas flyfishing guide. If I can get my preferred campsite, I will be in the Hickory campground along the Mountain Fork.coming up from the South, the quickest way in is to take the second 259A exit, about four miles north of the main entrance to the park. It's about four or five miles to the Broken Bow dam, then take the next right turn. At the foot of the hill, you cross the bridge over the river, and then the next right after the bridge, then turn right again into the Hickory loop. I will be in a large dome tent (Kelty), with a white rain fly. I am driving a silver Nissan Frontier king cab pickup, and there will be a green Wenonah canoe atop it. I hope somebody can make it. Right now it sounds like illness or injury may keep some of you away.

Larry

Okay, now I know where and how to find you if I make it up. Image

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply