It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:15

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Aug 2007, 03:43 • #1 
Emeritus
OK, I'll start. Years ago, when I realized that I was a walking Orvis advertisement.

Think NASCAR, if NASCAR had an Orvis sponsor. (Birthday gift!).

Make that a sloshing, stumbling-over-big-rocks advertisement, in need of full-body felt.

Post 28 Aug 2007, 04:26 • #2 
Administrator
Ummm ... how about taking a refurbished bamboo rod into a noteable fly shop/lodge outside of Grayling, MI to match a reel and fly line with it ... only to have the lodge owner ... and all of his cronies stand around and laugh at my rod. Granted it is not a noteable rod ... but still my very first fly rod that I caught a trout on.

I knew enough NOT to show up on the "Holy Waters" of the AuSable River with my bright yellow Eagle Claw Feather Light ... and thought I was doing the right thing by going with the bamboo.

middlemac ... I went through that name brand NASCAR phase as well. Now it is nice to have a bunch of gear that my friend calls "Your Junky Old Rods and Reels". Ha ...

Post 28 Aug 2007, 08:11 • #3 
Emeritus
Many years before I started fly fishing, I found a boxed bamboo fly rod in a house I had just bought. It was in perfect shape and it is what I learned to cast with. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. When I was ready to begin fly fishing, I took classes from a notable Colorado fly fisher and author. The last day of class was reserved for inspection of our tackle. I proudly presented said un-named instrutor with my bamboo rod. Surely he would lavish praise for the exquisitely good taste I had. Five words. He held the rod up in the air for the class to see and said, "Hang it on the wall." :o

Guys, I'm proud to say that anyone who carries a 40-50 year old fiberglass flyrod around on the water will never be accused of being a walking advertisement for good taste. That's ok with me, it'll keep eBay prices down. :lol

Post 28 Aug 2007, 11:15 • #4 
Emeritus
cofisher and Cameron,

Maybe a good rule of thumb should be: Don't carry a rod & reel that's younger than we are. :rolleyes

(Which is not to say, use the oldest tackle we have on hand ... :rollin )*

(* Stickin' it to my ORCA buds)

Post 31 Aug 2007, 00:51 • #5 
Emeritus
8-31-07 What- nobody else on the FFRodders had an embarrassing beginner's moment? :rollin

Post 31 Aug 2007, 01:31 • #6 
Administrator
middlemac ... I guess everyone else went straight to pro ... ha ... or they are STILL to embarrassed to talk about it.

Post 31 Aug 2007, 02:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
OK,
When I was brand new to the sport, I took my sage DSII 6 wt down to a place called Wiskey Flats on the Trinity river here in North Texas in search of Sand Bass. My neoprene waders were getting hot as the temps in february of this year were in the mid eighties, and I was having trouble with controlling my line in the faster currents.
After a couple of hours of frustration not catching, I decided to roll my waders down a bit, just to let a little breeze in. While doing this I was wading in knee-deep water in the direction of a low hanging branch which had caught my fly; suddenly I found a six foot deep hole. I was totally submerged underwater, and with all the water in my waders it became a difficult task to pull myself over to a ledge. After a second or two I gained a foothold and crawled out to see all along the bank bait fisherman laughing and pointing.
To make matters worse, I overheard one in the crowd say in a gruff voice "Ah Hell son, you just ruin't my favorite hole goin' swimmin in there".
I stumbled out of the river and left.
Les

Post 31 Aug 2007, 05:14 • #8 
Emeritus
Now that's funny! Sure glad it's never happened to me! :rolleyes

Post 31 Aug 2007, 14:18 • #9 
Master Guide
... Uhh, far too many to talk about here ... but I will share a little gag I pulled on bamboo rod maker Harry Boyd ... when discussing preferences via e-mail for a rod order I asked him if he could provide a reel seat that was "both Up and Down Locking" ... I told him: "cause I was getting really tired of changing rods from up locking when fishing up stream to one with a down locking reel seat when fishing down ... " He shared it with a few friends and all got a good laugh at the crazy beginner ... :D
Bob

Post 31 Aug 2007, 15:45 • #10 
Emeritus
This isn't exactly a beginner's moment, but a moment none the less. I was fishing at dusk once near a full campground and hooked a bat. The bat was mad and I was scared ... thought it was related to my ex, the old bat. I took off running and the bat, through no choice of it's own followed. I ran through the campground with 10-15 feet of fly line flapping in the breeze with the bat still attached. I'm sure there are still people talking about the mad man that ran through their camp. On the plus side, my tippet didn't break like it usually does.

Post 05 Sep 2007, 14:50 • #11 
Emeritus
Re: Most Embarrassing Beginner's Moment This isn't exactly a beginner's moment, but a moment none the less. I was fishing at dusk once near a full campground and hooked a bat. The bat was mad and I was scared ... thought it was related to my ex, the old bat. I took off running and the bat, through no choice of it's own followed. I ran through the campground with 10-15 feet of fly line flapping in the breeze with the bat still attached. I'm sure there are still people talking about the mad man that ran through their camp. On the plus side, my tippet didn't break like it usually does.

Edited by: cofisher at: 8/31/07 11:01 pm

cofisher- what's the usual size bat at that season?

Helloooooooooo- rod & reel, line, leader, tippet, & fly details please!

This is a technical forum, not just for jokes!:rollin

Post 05 Sep 2007, 15:19 • #12 
Emeritus
Well, let's see if I can remember that far back. I would guess it was a 9' Orvis Silver Label 6weight with a Battenkill reel loaded with Scientific Angler 6 wt. floating line and Orvis leader tapered to 5x. And ... I probably had on a size 14 elk hair caddis. Oh and Middlemac, the bat was about a 1/0 I think. I only got glimpses.

Howard

p.s. I'll try to be more serious and professional in the future. :b

Post 09 Sep 2007, 16:26 • #13 
Emeritus
Middlemac, this one is for you. It didn't happen to me, but was told to me by an elderly fly fisherman I knew who said it happened to him when he first started fly fishing.

"I was wade fishing a while back and came across a water snake that had attempted to swallow a frog. The frog was lodged and the snake could not spit him out. I didn't know what to do so I took out my little flask of whiskey and poured a little bit in the snake's mouth. He spit and flopped around but finally let go of the frog. The frog went his way and the snake went his. I felt pretty good about myself. A little while later, I felt a tugging at my pant's cuff. It was that damn snake with another frog." True story my friend! 8o

Post 09 Sep 2007, 17:04 • #14 
Emeritus
cofisher- killin' me!

Post 10 Sep 2007, 13:12 • #15 
Emeritus
Did Tom/jgestar ever have a beginner's moment? :rolleyes

Post 11 Sep 2007, 04:50 • #16 
Emeritus

Post 11 Sep 2007, 13:43 • #17 
Emeritus
Ward, I'm worried about the Beaver. He's been spending an awful lot of time in the bathroom lately.

Now June, calm down. Let the boy have his privacy. Say- have you seen Wally? :rolleyes

Post 11 Sep 2007, 14:53 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
one of my many embarrasing moments happened when my kids were small and we had a family picnic at a state park on a busy Sunday. After a wonderful lunch i took the flyrod to the lake to catch a couple of panfish. What i caught was a duck. The duck attacked my fly and when i tried to get it back, the duck refused, and commenced to throw a tantrum. My wife was admonishing me to let go of the duck. My kids were crying and screaming, "Daddy's trying to hurt that duck". Several people gathered as i tried to break the damn tippet and go lay down in the back seat of the car. Finally the duck tried to take flight; I jerked with all my might; the tippet finally broke. People would walk by and look at me and shake their heads. My family thought i was the local duck serial killer! On that particular day fly fishing was not cool. I was totally "uncool" I now buy a duck stamp every year, still looking for an old mallard with a miss prissy in his beak!-p-

Post 12 Sep 2007, 11:38 • #19 
Emeritus
pearow,

Duck on! Nicely done!

what's the usual size duck at that season?

Helloooooooooo- rod & reel, line, leader & tippet details please!

This is a technical forum, not just for jokes! :rollin

Post 12 Sep 2007, 12:48 • #20 
Emeritus
Middlemac, just exactly what do you fish for? You've got an unusual fascination with bats and ducks! Is there something you would like to unburdon? I'm here for ya bro! :b :lol

Pearow: Great story. I wonder how many ducks have been brought down by a baffled flyfisher?

Post 13 Sep 2007, 12:46 • #21 
Emeritus
cofisher- Hey, I fish for fish- hereabouts it's trout, mostly..

I can honestly say I've never hooked a bat, a duck- or a beaver. Hence my fascination with same! However- if anybody in the mountains has ever hooked a Hellbender- PLEASE reply! :rollin

Post 14 Sep 2007, 03:24 • #22 
Emeritus
No Hellbenders in Colorado, thank you. Can you imagine hooking one and flinging it out of the water?

Post 14 Sep 2007, 03:42 • #23 
Emeritus
I have (yet another) nephew who found (not caught) one in a stream up here and gave it to the Western North Carolina Nature Center years ago, where he worked at the time as a volunteer. For all I know it's still lurking there somewhere. Not an attractive creature. :eek

Post 15 Sep 2007, 02:31 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I'm relatively new to fly fishing compared to some of on this board, but I was really new when I caught my first 10 inch brookie. It hit and I gave it that good ole' Texas spinning rig and bass hookset.

You know you have a fishing buddy when all you hear as you untangle the trout, leader, and bit of line from the tree behind you is "You are going to eat that, right?"

I'm also the guy who was enjoying his new solo canoe in one of our most crowded recreational areas and elegantly rolled it over. So much for the distinguished older fly fishing gentleman look.:o

Post 15 Sep 2007, 02:57 • #25 
Emeritus
mdwwhw, phew how do you pronounce that? I figure that the only thing that could have made it worse was if you were dressed like an Orvis sport. :\

Seriously, I thought that you forgot that you weren't in your kayak! Good story. :rollin

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply