It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:58

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Aug 2007, 08:24 • #26 
Guide
Hm ... all that may be a bit tough for shoal bass if you want to fish The flint or the Ocmulgee ... not sure how the options are for the Hooch though. Let me think about it for a bit and I'll throw around some ideas.

Post 06 Aug 2007, 08:37 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I'd forgotten about the option of smallmouth in the Park, and it is one I've wanted to give a try. But Jon is correct that "leaf season" can be a mess. I have some backroad routes around the bottlenecks going to my usual haunts, but Townsend is not my area.

Bob

Post 06 Aug 2007, 09:21 • #28 
Master Guide
Bob--

I think you nailed it: managing the GSMNP leaf season is all about avoiding "choke-points." Fortunately, Townsend allows you to work around the major ones: Newfound Gap Road and Cades Cove. While there will be traffic on Little River Road inside the Park between Townsend and Sugarlands, I think its lack of "vistas" and "bear jams" will keep traffic moving. That leaves miles and miles of accessible water along Little River, Tremont, and the West Prong. I suppose it boils down to what we're looking for: what I would consider a "backcountry" experience with a lot of solitude isn't in the cards! But if the point is mainly just to put names to faces, play with one another's toys, and maybe catch a few fish, then Townsend might work, provided everyone was willing to secure his lodgings ahead of time.

Again, I don't want to come across as the Blount Country Tourism Board, either (after all, there's a part of me that's lessed than thrilled with a bunch of y'all steely-eyed glass slingers showing up on my homewaters!:lol ) but having a few guys on the board living pretty close to the festivities might be another advantage.

Jon

Post 06 Aug 2007, 09:23 • #29 
Administrator
The date is the only important factor for me. I don't care where we go ... as long as there is water ... and friends with fiberglass rods.

I am up for camping ... but can do the cabin or hotel thing as well. I am pretty flexable about things.

Post 05 Sep 2007, 09:47 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I'm just bumping this up now that we're on this side of Labor Day. Oct. 27 weekend still good with people, wherever we end up?

Bob

Post 06 Sep 2007, 06:28 • #31 
Administrator
OK ... as Upstreeam mentioned ... we're getting down to trip time ... and we should start firming up decisions for this Southeast Clave.

Who is in for sure on the last weekend of October?

Creationbear did some checking around Townsend for us ... and this is part of the message that I got from him last week.

I just off the phone to Paula Begely at LRO, and she said we can definitely use one of their upstairs rooms that weekend. As for lodging, here's a link for Townsend accomodations:

www.discoverourtown.com/T ... els/Hotels

As you can see, there's a pretty good cross-section, though of course with it being "high season," rates and availability might pose a problem, especially for the procrastinators among us. (Ralph Shuey who's organized the past few cane "gatherings" at Townsend recommended Dock's cabins, the Tally-ho hotel, and Ye Olde Mill campground for people with RV's.) If Townsend is coming into focus as a destination, I'll start hitting up some more locals for their insights and forward them your way.

Is Townsend where we want to go? I've never fished around there and have zero knowledge of it. We'd be looking at Creationbear for a lot of answers. I just need to know which direction I need to point the Element and start driving.

My only worry with Townsend is that it is going to be busy with tourists ... but that may be hard to get around since it will be the weekend anywhere we go.

Where ever we end up Clave'ing at ... I'll be heading out of town early on that Thursday morning and most likely stop in NC to spend the day fishing. Would anyone be showing up early on Friday ... or would we just plan on meeting on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning? I may stay over in NC on Thursday night ... and fish part of Friday there as well if no one if going to show up early on Friday.

Post 09 Sep 2007, 13:16 • #32 
Administrator
Ummm ... there seemed to be quite a lot of interest a few weeks ago ... and now I am wondering if Yuhina and I will be "claving" alone.

Who else is in or interested?

Post 13 Sep 2007, 14:26 • #33 
Sport
I live within 30 min. of Townsend also. Chased a few Smallies on the Little river last evening. I won't be able to attend the clave that weekend due to a scheduled camping trip down on the tellico river. If you end up changing the date, I'll sure try to be there. All the local tailwaters are fishing great right now and if we get some much needed rain, the mtn streams will improve. We do have some newly opened brook trout streams that haven't seen a fishermen in many years.
CreationBear, if you need any help coordinating just PM.

Post 14 Sep 2007, 03:14 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I'm still planning on being there, but haven't done anything about accomodations. Has anyone else booked camp sites or rooms? Probably should do it soon, but I'll be out of pocket until next week.

Bob

Post 17 Sep 2007, 02:15 • #35 
Emeritus
As I understand it the date is October 27? At this time I don't see a conflict in my schedule and I'd love to drive down for a weekend of glass and bass. I'll keep up with the posts to see how this shapes up.

Joe C.

Post 18 Sep 2007, 01:52 • #36 
Administrator
Well ... it seems like we have several schools of thought going here ... without a lot of discussion going on. Shoal bass or trout? Townsend or someplace else? How many people are actually planning on this weekend?

I'll be packing up the car early on the 25th and hitting water ... with or without a Clave ... though I am hoping that we'll meet up somewhere.

Post 18 Sep 2007, 04:29 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I'm in. I just don't know in where. Townsend's fine. Somewhere else is fine with me as well. But unless there was some PM discussion, it seemed that Townsend had become the default.

Bob

Post 19 Sep 2007, 01:50 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Bob, Cameron,

I will be there for sure! Very excited about this gathering!
I will bring my friends with me and they will take some photo/video for us ;)

Sincerely,

Mark

Post 19 Sep 2007, 02:29 • #39 
Administrator
OK ... if Townsend is the spot ... then how many people are in for sure? It would be nice to get a head count.

When would everyone be planning on showing up? I'll be on the road on Thursday morning so it would be nice to know when everyone else will be in Townsend and ready to Clave.

Creationbear ... anything else we need to work on? The clock is ticking ... And how are conditions up there right now? Getting better?

Good to see this ball rolling again ...

Post 19 Sep 2007, 03:12 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know if it will entice folks to try to come, but here's my current glass rod inventory (pretty sure). I can bring anything anyone is interested in checking out, although one or two need a touch up before fishing that I hope to get done.

5'3" Fenglass - 5 wt.
6'3" Berkley Parametric Curt Gowdy - 6 wt.
7' St. Croix Imperial (7090 XL) - 6 wt.
7' MacFarland 3 wt. Vintage series, 3 pc.
7' Wonderrod Panfish Special 5 wt.
7' honey Lamiglass 3 wt., 4 pc.
7' Fenwick FF70-4 6 wt. 4 pc. (H serial #)
7' Phillipson/3M 5-6 wt.
7'6" honey Lamiglass 4 wt. 4 pc.
7'6" Fenwick 756-4 6 wt. 4 pc. (R serial #)
7'6" Fisher 2-3 wt. (Apparently their Stalker clone)
8' Martin 6-7 wt. (Late 80s)
8' Conlon 6-7 wt. Three-star
8' 6" Phillipson Chieftain 6-7 wt.
8'9" SA System 9

Ask any questions you want; it may get me to actually pull the rod out and check.

Bob

Post 19 Sep 2007, 03:19 • #41 
Administrator
OK ... I'll start this list of people planning on coming and edit as needed as it goes along.

Cameron
Yuhina (and friends)
Upstreeam
Creationbear

Post 19 Sep 2007, 08:05 • #42 
Master Guide
Well, if y'all have decided to come out this way, here are a few links for you. First, here's the link to Little River Outfitters' "fishing report" which can give you an idea of flows, water temp, ect.

littleriveroutfitters.com ... report.htm

They also have a "forum" as well that might be useful to some of you.

littleriveroutfitters.com ... /index.php

As far as fishing is concerned, we're still in the middle of a pretty brutal drought, but surely it's got to rain between now and then. (Right?:\ ) If any of you need tips for patterns, etc., there are certainly enough experienced Southern Appalachian fishermen the board who can steer you in the right direction. (My best advice: tie on a #14 yellow Stimmy. Cast. Walk. Repeat application as necessary ... :lol )

As for lodging, here's a link that's sort of a clearing house for local establishments, many of whom have their own websites.

www.discoverourtown.com/T ... els/Hotels

As a semi-local, of course, I've never had cause to spend the night there, but if you'd like me to ask around about a specific hotel/campground, I'll be happy to pass on anything I turn up.

Finally, here's a link to the GSMNP itself if any of you are entertaning thoughts of staying at one of the campgrounds there. (It's also a useful way of staying abreast of road/trail/and campsite closures.)

www.nps.gov/grsm/

At any rate, if you've any specific questions, please shoot me a PM or email me at barnesut263 yahoo.com. And Bob, if you'd like to ship that rod collection up early so you won't be--you know--distracted by all those rod tubes rattling around, I'd be happy to sign for 'em. Safety first! :lol

Jon

Post 19 Sep 2007, 14:36 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks a lot for the information, Joe. very nice!
Bob ... that's wonderful collection!. .. can not wait to see them ...

Post 21 Sep 2007, 02:41 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Well, actually Mark, I hadn't really planned to bring them all. A couple of them share tubes, and I'll need some room in the car for camping gear. Or motel gear.

Bob

Post 21 Sep 2007, 05:15 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bob ...
5'3" Fenglass - 5 wt.
7' Phillipson/3M 5-6 wt.

I would love to see these two small rods ... if I can make a wish list :D

I will bring.
St. Croix Imperial 6' 7080 6wt
Lamiglas 3wt 6'6 (home made)
Lamiglas 9wt 9' (home made)

Mark

Post 21 Sep 2007, 08:22 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Mark,

A wish list is what it's all about. That's the recent Fenglass. The Phillipson is about 1974, I think; Johnson reproduces an ad showing a "midge" rod intended for small flies, and I think this rod is associated with that development. One of our primarily warmwater fishermen passed it on to me; I think he was a little disappointed in the lack of "oomph."

It will be nice to see another St. Croix. I need to at least varnish down a wrap on mine, but it should get there.

Bob

Post 22 Sep 2007, 03:15 • #47 
Administrator
Upstreeam ... here's what I'd like to see.

6'3" Berkley Parametric Curt Gowdy - 6 wt.
7' Wonderrod Panfish Special 5 wt.
7' honey Lamiglass 3 wt., 4 pc.
7' Phillipson/3M 5-6 wt.
7'6" honey Lamiglass 4 wt. 4 pc.

I'll be bringing ...

7' Scott "F" 3 weight
7' Heddon Pal Pro Weight #8381 brown two piece five weight
7' Heddon Pal Pro Weight #8381 yellow two piece five weight
7' 3" Fenwick Continential Tourer five piece four weight
7' 6" Lamiglass three piece four weight (gypsy is building this one right now)
8' McFarland Spruce Creek three piece five weight
7' 6" Heddon Pal Pro Weight #8383 yellow two piece six weight

WHEW ... it might be to many rods ... because each has a reel to match ...

Post 23 Sep 2007, 04:21 • #48 
Guide
I wish I could go, but thats my brother's birthday weekend so no go. Hope y'all have fun!

Post 26 Sep 2007, 03:25 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron,

That should be doable, although the 7' Lami dropped its butt cap and I couldn't locate the pruchased replacement last night. At the very least, it's castable.

Glad you have reels for each. I've got, I think, two per line weight, so my 5 & 6 could get busy.

Bob

Post 26 Sep 2007, 03:39 • #50 
Administrator
I guess we need to get (even more) serious about this Clave. I was looking at my schedule and it is just a few weeks away.

Questions that still need to be answered ...

When is everyone planning on showing up?

When is everyone going to have to leave?

Who is showing up?

What is the plan of things to do once we get together?

Where is everyone staying? (I may drive back and forth from Gatlingburg since the wife and child will be there on another trip)

Just a few things to think about.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply