It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:20

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jul 2007, 03:29 • #1 
Administrator
A discussion started on another thread and I thought I'd bring it up on this page.

Is there enough interest from our Southeast members to gather in late October for a weekend Glass Clave? I don't have a lot of weekends free ... but know that I have one weekend (historically the last weekend) in October that I could attend.

There has been the suggestion in the mountains of Georgia as a meeting place. Any other ideas?

How much interest is there here? Tricky? Yuhina? Creationbear? Upstream?

Tom ... if this thead takes off ... can you push pin it so that it stays at the top?

Post 08 Jul 2007, 03:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It would be a long shot for me but ... My wife's best friend lives in Athens ... maybe. .. I'll keep on eye on this thread. The SE is one of the regions I've never fished though I'd love to.

Post 08 Jul 2007, 03:56 • #3 
Guide
I'm in. I vote warmwater fishing. Or ... we could fish the upper hooch where they have shoal bass and trout!

Post 08 Jul 2007, 04:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I am in! Thanks for the organize Cameron ...
Warmwater, coldwater ... either way works for me ...
October is great timing ...

Post 08 Jul 2007, 06:00 • #5 
Master Guide
Cameron--

Excellent idea! I'm up for traveling, but would you gentlemen be interested in meeting up in my backyard? Provided it rains between now and October, fishing in the GSMNP is at its best then. There have been a couple of cane "gatherings" the past couple of years that have centered on Townsend over here on the Tennessee side--it's a location that gives you access to a lot of water in the Park, plus the folks at Little River Outfitters (probably the premiere flyshop in the Southeast) would make for a great "home base."

The only drawback of course is that October is high season for tourists--accomodations would be need to be arranged pretty far ahead of time, but I'd be happy to do some leg-work if y'all reach a consensus soon.

Jon

Post 08 Jul 2007, 06:17 • #6 
Emeritus
I'd be very interested, especially if a shot at shoal bass was possible.

Joe c.

Post 08 Jul 2007, 06:47 • #7 
Sport
I'm very new to this forum, but have been reading it for awhile. I live in East Tn also, and would like to see a glass clave. You can chose to fish the park for wild trout or one of the outstanding tailwaters nearby. I do alot of smallmouth flyfishing and it has been outstanding this year. Townsend is a good base and close to the park but if the hotels or campgrounds are full, there are plenty more over in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
The Watauga and South Holston tailwaters are only 2 hours away for some trophy trout fishing with some good wadable access. There is plenty of shopping and good restaurants for those that do not fish.
The local flyshops are:
Knoxville ... The Creel
Townsend ... Little River Outfitters
Gatlinburg ... Smoky Mtn. Angler

Post 08 Jul 2007, 07:35 • #8 
Guide
shoal bass ... come catch some shoal bass. I would love to get y'all down in middle georgia. That is THE best time to fish for shoal bass on the flint and the Ocmulgee.

But seriously, doesn't matter to me.

Post 08 Jul 2007, 07:54 • #9 
Administrator
TNSmallieman,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

I like the idea of "regional" claves. Holding a meet-up where others have gone before is a good idea too!

The one thing I did miss at the Deerfield river was cell phone coverage. Because we were in a valley far from a major city there was NO coverage. It was difficult to contact anyone once I arrived at the river. Still, we all managed to arrive at the proper spot on Saturday.

Tom

Post 08 Jul 2007, 08:30 • #10 
Administrator
I am trying to figure out what weekend the wife is away. The whole reason I was staying home from the extended family trip was that I didn't want to deal with the mess of tourists up in Gatlingburg ... ha. I haven't spent much time around Townsend and have always wanted to so I'd be in if it ended up there.

I am down for most any SE location for the Glass Clave. I am just glad to see so much interest.

There are nice places in the Pisgah National Forest.

Tom ... thanks for push pinning this thread.

Post 08 Jul 2007, 09:46 • #11 
I am in for Georgia and probably Tenn too. I do not do the brookie thing anymore but would love an opportunity to hookup with a shoalie, or as an alternative go to trophy trout water at Dukes. I am under the impression that you really need a boat to access quality shoalie water on the Flint and Hooch. Tell me I am wrong and send a PM with directions! John

Post 08 Jul 2007, 10:54 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
It is really great to see more and more people interested in the SE clave ...

John, I agree the Dukes is a great creek for the clave.
Dukes only 5 mins away from the main town Helen, GA. Have nice cell phone coverage (lot's of nice motel and hotel to stay) and nice picnice area along the creek. But the drawback is fishing there are really tough ... either 5 incher or 25 inchers. But I think for the clave, gathering and chat are the first priority. :D

Towsend is a great place to meet as well. I love that place, as Jon mentioned, the Orvis shop there are pretty professional. There are lot's of nice creeks around, A+ creeks for short rods.

Post 08 Jul 2007, 16:26 • #13 
Sport
Count me in ... I live about 2 hours from the GSMNP just north of Chattanooga in Cleveland, TN. Would like to get together.

Barry

Post 09 Jul 2007, 09:53 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
October would probably work well enough for me. Hate to give up a fall weekend in the mountains, but if y'all want to do warmwater, I could go along with it. Would rather avoid a place that requires a boat, though. Dukes was mentioned, but one drawback is the limit on fishermen per day. Not sure if they've yet taken reservations for Oct., and there are only so many spots you can reserve on one call.

But really, anywhere within the bounds of the homes of those who've responded so far is good.

Bob

Post 14 Jul 2007, 09:03 • #15 
Administrator
OK ... looks like I was correct about the weekend. I can do the trip on October 26th-28th. How does that work for everyone else that is interested?

I will be ready to pack up the Element with a mess of camping gear and glass rods and get on some water.

Post 14 Jul 2007, 09:28 • #16 
Master Guide
Cameron--

Well, if you're up in my neck of the woods, UT is playing South Carolina at home that weekend. (Didn't y'all get a new coach or something?:lol ) It probably won't affect campsite availability in the GSMNP, but it might add some competition for hotel rooms in Townsend.

Jon

Post 15 Jul 2007, 05:25 • #17 
Guide
Oh ... Cameron that won't work for me. My brothers birthday falls on Oct. 25th. I'll be home in augusta for that weekend. Do not change the plans for me though, I would just be showing up to fish. I don't have much to show everyone else.

Post 15 Jul 2007, 05:35 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron,

My schedle is very flexable, any weekend is good to me. Looking forward! :)

Mark

Post 16 Jul 2007, 15:14 • #19 
I am semi-retired. When I am working I am out of state for several weeks at a time. It is impossible to really plan that far ahead but the odds are strong I will attend. BTW my glass rod arsonal is pretty limited! John

Post 21 Jul 2007, 14:52 • #20 
Administrator
OK ... it seems we have three different ideas circulating around right now and we might as well keep the ball rolling since there is some interest and excitement about a Southeast Regional Clave.

1. Townsend area

2. Shoal Bass

3. Northern Georgia

What is everyone's vote?

Is the last weekend in October good for most everyone (except Tricky)?

Where ever it is ... I'll most likely be heading there on Thursday afternoon and will stay until Sunday morning. I'd be most interested in a trout trip ... but I'm not scared of chasing shoal bass for a weekend either.

Post 23 Jul 2007, 07:18 • #21 
Emeritus
Last weekend in Oct sounds very good to me. I'm a shoal bass fan (new one for my lifelist) but I'll fish whatever and whereever.

Post 24 Jul 2007, 00:17 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Joe ...
That's great! Nice to hear you are coming!

I vote N. Georgia.
Thanks Cameron!:)

Post 24 Jul 2007, 05:29 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I've marked the weekend on my calendar. In ink, as if that matters. Any of the locales is OK with me. Don't know anything about shoal bass, locales or tactics, but always happy to learn.

Bob

Post 31 Jul 2007, 03:54 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I was trying to think of some specific places to suggest, and realized I didn't know exactly what I was looking for. Cameron mentioned camping gear, and that is fine with me. But do some of y'all want cabins or hotels? Also fine with me, but if we need to get a mix of camping and beds, I think they should be in close proximity. Also seems it would be good if there was some grass handy, as well as some water. I can see folks casting others' rods, and maybe lending them for a short on-water session, then switching around.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts here. Cameron had said something about Pisgah Nat'l Forest, and I imagine the same places came to my mind as his, but if we're looking in N. Ga., I'm drawing a blank. Unicoi State Park could work, but its DH doesn't open until Nov. 1, and viable trout fishing would be a few miles away. No experience at all with shoal bass possibilities.

Bob

Post 04 Aug 2007, 12:31 • #25 
Master Guide
Well, since Bob's broached the topic, I'll lay out the advantages of Townsend:

1. Variety of lodging: hotels/RV Parks/Campgrounds both inside and outside the GSMNP. They can be as "spendy" as you want (e.g. The Inn at Blackberry Farms) or $20 bucks a night or so if you stay at an developed campground in the Park. (Of course, if you're set up for primitive camping,you can literally stay for free at the Backcountry Campsites in the Park.)

2. Meeting Place: Little River Outfitters has rooms upstairs we could probably use as a "club-house," as well as a nice casting area behind the shop. I think a (possible) central location--as well as a place to come out of the rain--will really help folks interact.

3. Fishing options: Waters in the Park range from "big water" (by Eastern standards) that hold smallies and big browns to spring creeks (E.g. Abrams in the Cove) to backcountry brookie streams.

4. "Family Considerations": While Townsend bills itself as the "Quiet Side of the Smokies," Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg aren't too far away in case non-fishing spouses want to do the boutique/outlet mall thing.

The major drawback of Townsend--and it's not insignificant-- is that the end of October is "high season" tourist-wise, but that would probably be true of anywhere in the Mountain South.

As I mentioned before, I'm willing--indeed, eager:D --to see other parts of the country, but the "infrastructure" here might be tough to beat.

Jon

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply