It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:29

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Christmas Clave
Post 03 Dec 2007, 02:30 • #1 
Administrator
What started as a father/daughter/dog trip was talked about in Live Chat the other night ... and there seemed to be some interest in others going as well ... so the idea of a "Christmas Clave" was hatched.

So far middlemac, his nephew, Tricky, yuhina, Hadley, K-9 "Ice", and I are slated to make the trip. I thought I'd bring it up here and see if anyone else wants to fish for a day together as well.

When - Thursday, December 27th or Friday, December 28th (we're still working on the exact date)

Where - Two rivers in the Pisgah National Forest area of North Carolina.

Anyone else want to make the day? The wife will be whipping up a big batch of pimento cheese to put on sourdough bread ... and I'll bring along a few cans of hearty soup to warm the insides since it will hopefully be chilly that day.

Christmas Clave
Post 03 Dec 2007, 06:08 • #2 
Guide
It's gonna be a ball!

Christmas Clave
Post 03 Dec 2007, 07:35 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'll be in FL then, but had already promised myself I'd get up there sometime this winter and let those here know when. Hope to meet up with y'all sometime.

Bob

Christmas Clave
Post 03 Dec 2007, 08:09 • #4 
Administrator
Upstreeam ... lets DEFINATELY plan a day to meet up there this winter. I'm in ... and I am sure middlemac would be also ... with just a tad of prodding.

Christmas Clave
Post 03 Dec 2007, 12:11 • #5 
Master Guide
Cameron--

That sounds like a great crew--I'd definitely make it if I weren't going to be in Chicago that week. (We'll have to compare notes who gets the coldest.)

At any rate, maybe we can get a reprise of our clave up here next Spring ... our water levels are edging up to more normal conditions, and surprisingly enough, the "perceived" fishing quality of these freestoners often goes up after a drought year. (I'm thinking Cataloochee might be a good spot to explore ... a little closer to you and Kevin.)

Otherwise, everbody be safe ... and I'll definitely want some more rod/reel reports. BTW, that Valdex of yours seems really nice, though I'm not sure about that latch-plate cover under "field" conditions--have you seen how if fits/balances your Yellow Fenwick? I've been thinking about that rod and, say, a 3 1/4 Beaudex a bit more than I should lately ... :lol

Christmas Clave
Post 03 Dec 2007, 15:21 • #6 
Administrator
Creationbear ... the Valdex is a great reel ... but I am also quite nervous about that latch cover since its not like you can email the J. W. Young Company for a new one! I was checking it about every ten minutes or so the other day just to make sure it had not loosened up.

I haven't messed with the yellow Fenwick since the GSMNP Clave. You are right that it needs a bit bigger reel. It will get one before it is all said and done I am sure.

If I didn't mention it before ... it made me smile the other day when you made a comment about taking notice in the reels ... the things that hold your line. That was subtle yet humorous especially after meeting you in person.

Gift a yellow Fenwick to yourself for Christmas. You definately deserve it.

Christmas Clave
Post 10 Dec 2007, 08:41 • #7 
Sport
Cameron,

Where is this going to be held? Is this in the Asheville area? I would like to hook up. Maybe I can bring my wife over to her Uncle's house for the weekend if this is right.

Barry

Christmas Clave
Post 10 Dec 2007, 14:35 • #8 
Administrator
Barry ... you are very welcome to join us for a day on the water ... as long as you bring the new Lamiglass build you did! The plan so far is to meet on the Davidson River, which is less than an hour from Asheville, and fish there for at least the morning until lunch. There has also been some discussion about fishing the North Mills River during the afternoon. We need to start working out the details of this trip.

What is the perference on the date? Thursday or Friday. Let's start working this out.

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 02:53 • #9 
Administrator
OK ... the date is set ... THURSDAY, DECEMBER 27TH.

We will meet at the Davidson River that morning and fish through the day. The Hatchery will provide a parking area for everyone and a good starting point from there. I plan on being there about at 0800 or so.

I am bringing enough pimento cheese spread and sourdough bread for everyone for sandwiches ... and middlemac's wife is making up a pot of her award winning chili. There has even been talk of a few growlers of Asheville micro brew beer as well making it there as well!

Mark it on your calendars ... and plan to attend!

PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 03:27 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Ok ... finally I found this thread ... thanks Cameron.

Me and Yoshi will come too!
Looking forward to it!

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 03:34 • #11 
Emeritus
Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting Barry, Yoshi and any newcomers.

There will be more details forthcoming so stay tuned. I'm happy to email directions to anyone needing them, Mark has asked for them. PM me your email address, and I'll copy any correspondence back to Cameron also.

I'm ... dreaming ... of a white ... Christmas ...

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 03:44 • #12 
Emeritus
Will add some Davidson River links here as I go through my files , so check back.

NC license for out-of-staters costs twenty bucks, ten day minimum which includes the Special Trout privilege. Order online and print out your license. Check first as to whether your state has a cooperative privilege with NC before you buy!

216.27.49.98/fs_index_01_license.htm

Here's a link to Flyfish Magazine's article on the Davidson.

Good general info, but take the fly recommendations- and the description of the trout as especially wary- with a grain of salt. More on those topics later.

www.flyfishmagazine.com/h ... river.html

And a post in WashingtonflyFishing from a first-time visitor.

www.washingtonflyfishing ... hp?t=40314

Davidson River Outfitters located fifteen minutes from the hatchery. Check out their "Services" section but again, take their hatch and river information with a grain of salt.

www.davidsonflyfishing.com/Default.aspx

A link to Mills River fishing.

www.byrdultrafly.com/nmills.htm

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 03:46 • #13 
Administrator
Great links middlemac. Thanks for doing some research for the group!

I should have everyone covered on flies. I need to hit the vise a bit before this trip.

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 12:32 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah ... Great links!
Thanks Kevin!

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 16:46 • #15 
Sport
Guys,

Cameron called me tonight ... gave me the low down. I am looking forward to this get together. Kudos to Cameron for putting this together and also making sure there are enough flies for the group. I am sure my regulars will work but a "local" can also help my selection. I have a whole row in my box inspired by Cameron. Remind me and I will show you.

If the weather is good and the fishing good too ... maybe some of you would like to fish Friday too. I am coming from the Chattanooga, TN area and would like to make the trip a mini vacation if possible. Don't know for sure but thought I would see if others would like this.

Looking forward to this ... Barry

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 17:53 • #16 
Administrator
Barry ... it was good talking to you as well tonight and I look forward to the Clave. Now I need to get fly tying since there is going to be a group on this trip! I can't wait to see your ties as well. I am sure that they will work.

I would really like to stay over and fish the second day ... but damn ... I don't think the wife could stand not having the daughter back that evening when she was off from work! And ... I am not sure Hadley Wrynn is up to a two day fishing trip yet either. Oh darn ...

Christmas Clave
Post 12 Dec 2007, 18:42 • #17 
Sport
Here is the solution ... at least it works for me. ;-)

Bring your wife too ... get a hotel ... give her spending money ... and let her go shopping with your daughter. Kinda like the best of both worlds! Come on ...

Barry

Christmas Clave
Post 13 Dec 2007, 02:38 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Barry,

I am looking forward to fish with you too!:D
Can't wait! Me and Yoshi will arrive on 26th, leave 27th.

Cameron,

Don't tie too hard ... I have 3 dozen "little thing" from you, I will share ... I promise:D I will tie some little mayfly nymphs too.

Christmas Clave
Post 18 Dec 2007, 05:21 • #19 
Emeritus
Made a hit & run scouting the Mills River Monday afternoon. The Mills is a short drive from the Davidson River, off Brevard Road. Classified Delayed Harvest, single hook, C&R.

The weather was sub-freezing and windy. The water is currently quite low. Chances for rain aren't great the next two weeks, but who knows? I did not observe trout in the few minutes spent rock-hopping, guess they were hunkered down ...

A view downstream from the bridge at the Park. It looks more brushy than it is- plenty of room for casting around the many pools which are currently rather shallow for the most part.

A mile further downstream where the waters drift into more marshy conditions.

I spent a few minutes "asphalt-casting" a Martin glass rod I found last week. Never put on waders or tied a fly on- just water reconnaissance.

Met a guy from California who took one look at my rig and said "Old School, eh?" :-)

The rod isn't one I'd show off in Rod Pictures but the cork is nice, and I love the color matching the anodyzed reel seat and black wraps with any Martin click pawl. Always did want to own one Martin rod ...

We have plenty of time to see what the weather brings and decide if we want to slide over to the Mills or elsewhere from the Davidson on the 27th.

PS- I observed the Park police evicting a family of squatters from a campsite during my visit, so- don't forget your license! ;-)

I hope to run by the Davidson and up Avery's Creek this week to scout also- more later.

Here's an excellent link to explore Mills River fishing:

http://www.byrdultrafly.com/nmills.htm

Christmas Clave
Post 18 Dec 2007, 05:24 • #20 
Administrator
middlemac ... good work on the scouting mission and photographs. I am looking forward to next Thursday!

Christmas Clave
Post 18 Dec 2007, 16:52 • #21 
Administrator
OK ... the plans for the "Christmas Clave" are slowly coming around but I started wondering this afternoon what you fellows want me to bring along as far as rods and reels. One of the great parts of these Claves is getting handle and cast other people's fly rods.

Mark ... I am bringing the McFarland so don't worry. I won't fish it that day ... so you are free to if you like. That might help you make a decision on that blank or not.

Tricky ... I want to play with your white Norie fly rod ... and the Phillipson. I'd also like to see a few of your high end fly reels as well.

middlemac ... like you could forget ... please bring the new custom build. Did it arrive at the house yet?

Christmas Clave
Post 19 Dec 2007, 06:52 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
My family seems to be more up in the air about holiday plans than ususal this year. Probably will mean more time in FL for me, but just in case. . . y'all are going to be at the hatchery 8 a.m. on Thurs. the 27th? Anyone sticking around until Fri?

Bob

Christmas Clave
Post 19 Dec 2007, 12:18 • #23 
Emeritus
Bob,

Barry (bjantzen) mentioned possibly sticking around past the Thursday date (see his post) but to my knowledge he is the only one so far who is considering that. Myself, I've got a family hike planned for Friday but will look forward to meeting you perhaps in Jan-Feb.

Christmas Clave
Post 19 Dec 2007, 13:12 • #24 
Guide
Rods that will be brought ...
Norie Flex Tailor 7'9" 2/3 wt
Phillipson Master 7'6" 5/6 wt

Rod that could be brought if there is interest ...
Phillipson Expoxite registered 8'6" 7wt

Reels that will be brought ...
Hardy Bougle MK IV- 3" and 3.25"
Hardy Bougle MK V - 3.5"
Abel TR 2
Forbes Avon 3"

Cameron ... I haven't cast any of those Heddons yet ... :)

Christmas Clave
Post 19 Dec 2007, 15:40 • #25 
Emeritus
Occurs to me we might want to make available thirty minutes or so of lawn casting @ the Hatchery after lunch so everyone can play with the rods they might not have time to fish with otherwise.

Cameron, I'll ask the Park folks if we can use the big grass area just next to the ponds. It's marked "no access" but fishermen walk it all the time accessing the south bank of the D and it shouldn't be a problem.

Heard from Matt today, my payment hasn't reached him yet and the rod probably won't make it for the Clave which is no biggie- holiday mail thing. New Years! :D

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply