It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:16

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Dec 2013, 23:24 • #101 
Master Guide
Early retirement from the state. Biologist. Over 35 years in Animal Science. Educational background in Zoology, graduate study: Vertebrate Reproductive Physiology and Physiological Ecology. Additional graduate study in Vertebrate Zoology with an emphasis in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.

Post 06 Jan 2014, 05:34 • #102 
Guide
I'm a customs officer in a anti smuggling unit - best job ever, since I get to plan my working hours myself = I work when fishing is bad and mostly only 4 days a week ;)

Post 06 Jan 2014, 23:38 • #103 
District Sales Manager for Western U.S. and British Columbia. When job does not get in the way of a fishing outing, I can be found bumming around my local Boise Idaho waters, or around Montana and Yellowstone N.P.

Post 07 Jan 2014, 21:40 • #104 
Guide
I"m Veterinarian. I actually work in a worlwide company that provides drugs and vaccines for animal health. When I have a day or two , I go fishing for some natives fish like Dorados and Tarariras near Buenos Aires city ( where I live ). When I can take more days (vacation time) I usually go to Patagonia region to chase browns and rainbows trouts.

Post 09 Jan 2014, 18:31 • #105 
Guide

Hi - I work as a firefighter in Oslo, the capital of Norway. Its the best job ever, and it also gives me plenty of time to go fishing. Thats me to the right on the photo on our practice facility.

Post 11 Jan 2014, 22:55 • #106 
Sport
Hey everyone,
At this moment I am employed at a building materials supplier, but last month I graduated with a degree in Physical Education. I hope to find a teaching job I the next few years.

Post 16 Jan 2014, 18:56 • #107 
Guide
I run a Composite R&D Laboratory for a large Aerospace Company in Northern California.

Post 29 Jan 2014, 15:30 • #108 
Master Guide
I manage a small quality control group for microbiological and chemical testing at a pharmaceutical manufacturing site. Molecular biologist/biochemist by formal training. But years of experience have ground me down to my pith, which is an unabashed fishing nut.

Post 16 Feb 2014, 12:34 • #109 
Inactive
New to the forum. Horticulturist by training and trade. I can ID the flora along the streams for ya'. I have the last job I want, as a factory sales/tech rep for a great fertilizer company. I drive a lot. Rods, pack and fly tying materials routinely accompany me. Work from home otherwise.

Post 25 Feb 2014, 17:50 • #110 
Inactive
Semi Retired in '13 from being a Property Manager and RE Investor. Not sure about the retirement part, seems like I fish less now. :eek. Mostly now a reader of good literature in the winter and wanabe troutbum the other months, when asked what I do know, I usually reply 'Alchemist' since I am unsure what exactly it is that I 'Do'.

Post 25 Feb 2014, 19:38 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
smallstreamtrout wrote:
I run a Composite R&D Laboratory for a large Aerospace Company in Northern California.

This occupation stands out as particularly applicable to many of the technical questions raised here on FFR. I'm going to have to remember to poke you about those topics. :-)

Post 19 Mar 2014, 22:44 • #112 
I'm a finish carpentry contractor and have done this for the past 35 years. I did this to get away from general contracting and to figure out what I really wanted to do. At times being self-employed, allows me to do quite a bit of fishing , while other times I can't get to do as much as I would like. Kevin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 13:08 • #113 
Sport
Wow, what an amazing set of careers and backgrounds on this board.

I'm what I call a mechanical engineer in recovery, currently working at home as a market analyst covering the utility and energy industry. Over the year's I've been a bartender, restaurant manager, ski bum. utility energy efficiency consultant, computer programmer, general manager of a software company's utility business unit, VP of marketing at several startup energy software companies, and a couple of other gigs I can't remember. I've been fly fishing since 1965 when I bought my first fly rod, a fiberglass Heddon 8457 and South Bend 1133 reel in 1965, and taught myself how to cast on my front lawn.

I have lived north of San Fransisco since 1981, and fished all over the place, and have a family cabin in Northern Wisconsin on the Michigan border, where I get some great time on the water in the summer and fall, mainly fly fishing for big bass. I've also been chasing big pike and musky's since the late 1990's up there too, and have been building rods since 1995.

Post 21 Mar 2014, 19:47 • #114 
Guide
Musician and university music teacher.

Post 13 Apr 2014, 20:16 • #115 
Guide
Licensed customs broker working for a global floor cleaning equipment manufacturer.

Post 18 Apr 2014, 20:33 • #116 
Sport
I am a Flooring installer. I install Carpet, Vinyl, Wood, Laminate and Ceramic. Mostly carpet and vinyl.

Post 18 Apr 2014, 23:33 • #117 
I am a retired Painter 32 years for the State of Minnesota.

Post 19 Apr 2014, 11:23 • #118 
I'm a self-employed civil engineer. I've worked for private design firms and state agencies in the past. Bridges, highways, architectural/structural, industrial, water resources, geotechnical, surveying, all that kind of stuff.

Post 14 May 2014, 09:18 • #119 
Sport
I'm a career law enforcement officer with 1 year, 7 mos, and 11 days til retirement. I also do woodcut printmaking and am in several galleries. It pays for the fly addiction!

Post 14 May 2014, 12:54 • #120 
Sport
Retired from the Department of Fish and Game. 3 years in the hatchery system and 30 in wildlife law enforcement. Working in God's country.
Hey! wandering blues it sounds like you are getting close to retirement - Congrats.

Post 27 May 2014, 19:16 • #121 
Glass Fanatic
I am in sales for a paper company making fine paper grades for books, magazines, catalogs, direct mail, etc. - some of you may have seen the hot tub paper salesman commercial about 10 years ago... it ain't like that at all believe me!

Post 29 May 2014, 10:16 • #122 
One of the things about fishing culture is that it is egalitarian, e.g., rich, poor, the lettered and the dropout, the athlete and the disabled (not that they are mutually exclusive), all are equal on the water. I own $800 rods but three out of my top five favorites cost less than $50.00.

I've fished with some men for years and our occupations have never been discussed. I fished with one of my main partners for two years before I discovered he was an M.D.

One of the worst things to happen to fishing, IMO, is the advent of tournaments. I think the competitiveness goes against the grain of a sport that is essentially contemplative punctuated with joy and excitement. (I do admit that I enjoy the occasional one-fly contest. And I fully support the right of tournament fishermen to enjoy the sport as they like)

But in the spirit of the message thread, I'm currently an IT manager and systems architect. But I've been in the military, lived as a Benedictine monk, worked as a headhunter, a career counselor, a contractor, and a flight instructor/air port operations manager. I've been an editor for a national newspaper and authored books and several hundred articles back in the days of the paper press.

Some would say I've lacked direction and I wouldn't argue. But I can say that I've tried my hand at most things that interested me, so wouldn't have done much differently - except manage my money better.

My fishing reflects the eclectic nature of my career. I've fished for blue gill and big old browns, sharks and stripers, trout and pike, trophy cats and big and little bass.

Fly fishing has been the most challenging. The only fishing I refuse to do is deep lake fishing with sinking lines. Fly rods seem to be the wrong tool for deep water fishing.

Actually, I think that the variety is why I love fishing amongst all sports.

Post 30 May 2014, 16:09 • #123 
Hi all,
I'm Roland, I work in land surveying and help run a small survey company just north of Toronto in Ontario, Canada.
I'm a husband and new father of one little girl. Aspire to be a trout ninja and meddle in all things fly fishing.

Post 30 May 2014, 16:17 • #124 
Master Guide
Artist, painter and university professor.

Steve

Post 30 May 2014, 17:27 • #125 
Glass Fanatic
BadAssBass wrote:
One of the things about fishing culture is that it is egalitarian, e.g., rich, poor, the lettered and the dropout, the athlete and the disabled (not that they are mutually exclusive), all are equal on the water...
Love this!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next New Topic Add Reply