It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:33

Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Aug 2016, 12:09 • #201 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, JSFreeze! You've come to the right place for good information, about vintage tackle and just about anything else concerning fly fishing. Here's to good fishing!

Post 09 Aug 2016, 15:02 • #202 
Thanks for the welcome Tomah!

Post 07 Oct 2016, 12:30 • #203 
Guide
I'm finding myself frequenting this forum nearly as much as my home forum, the Classic Fly Rod Forum (bamboo).

Since I'm mainly a bamboo boy that still has a lot of my org. graphites (Sage Sp's and SPL's that are too fine to sell but don't see the light of day much!) I'm finding a new joy in some nice glass rods of late. It's dangerous..!!

Did a 3 yr. stindt in the U. S Army during Viet Nam, even as a non-citizen. Former mechanical tool designer for 3 decades that had to retire early 7 yrs. ago since all the work went off-shore. Best thing that ever happened to me besides my family and also emigrating from the U. K. as a kid. This country of ours really is a wonderful place.

Not rich but really, really happy! Kind'a healthy too thanks to a daily elliptical workout. And I talk too much!!

Nice forum here, ladies...!

Post 12 Oct 2016, 09:47 • #204 
Glass Fanatic
First, thank you Jeremy, for your service. While I don't have any bamboo rods, I can certainly relate about good graphite rods not getting out much. Hear! Hear! on the USA, too, and on that important elliptical workout -- the only strenuous exercise my knees will tolerate.

Post 13 Oct 2016, 21:55 • #205 
Guide
Tomah, thank you!

Keep up with that exercise routine. Nobody hates it more than I do but it makes me feel like I'm doing my carcass much good!

Jeremy - one good knee, one titanium one!

Post 14 Oct 2016, 18:07 • #206 
Glass Fanatic
You're welcome, sir!

One good knee, one w/ repurposed connective tissue...

Post 08 Feb 2017, 18:37 • #207 
Geologist in a former life - 40 years. Now working on becoming a bum with a major in fly fishing.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 04:36 • #208 
Guide
Young (30s) Attorney here who does criminal defense, divorce, and especially now immigration here in Rhode Island. My wife sent me to my first fly fishing class 4 years ago when my knee (now replaced) got bad and i couldnt do much outside. Those two hours wading became the only pain free part of my day. I stumbled onto vintage glass looking for a new reel and in tbe process paying $40 for a phillipson that needed some tlc. This sport and now this community has become an oasis from the stress of work etc. Great sport, great people.

Post 07 Jul 2017, 09:41 • #209 
Retired civil/construction engineer. Most of my career was spent as a senior estimator in the heavy highway sector in California, although, I did bid projects all over the U.S. including Hawaii.

Grew up fly fishing, since my father was avid about the sport.

The wife and I are happy to say that we escaped from California almost three years ago and now live thankfully in Idaho! It's a great state, with plenty of great fly fishing opportunities.

Post 07 Jul 2017, 12:16 • #210 
Glass Fanatic
jtpadge wrote:
Geologist in a former life - 40 years. Now working on becoming a bum with a major in fly fishing.

welcome! Good to see another geologist---there are at least four of us around.

Post 15 Jul 2017, 21:35 • #211 
I'm a telecommunications engineer, where I deal with a different kind of glass, fiber optics. I started fishing with glass back in the 70's. I didn't fly fish much for a lot of years. I've spent the last few years trying to make up for lost time. I've been fishing graphite, but after reading about some of these new glass rods, I think I'm going to come full circle and get me one or two......

Post 16 Jul 2017, 09:44 • #212 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Piscivorous_! One or two? Right...

Post 21 Aug 2017, 18:19 • #213 
Guide
Ok my turn , I was a police officer for 32 years but now I'm happily retired. I am a recent convert from the bamboo world and am totally addicted to Chris Barclay rods. I do admit to trying tenkara now and then but there is nothing like casting a well made fly rod. The Neversink is my home water.

Post 24 Aug 2017, 21:13 • #214 
Sport
Very cool and interesting topic. Just saw this and have been reading up on folks. Commercial banker for the past +/- 18 years and father of two awesome kids. Been into fly fishing since I was a kid, got re-introduced to glass about 2 years ago. Fish it exclusively now because I simply find it more enjoyable. Very blessed to have lived in a wonderful area for outdoor activities my whole life. Nothing de-stresses better or recharges me more than the sights & sounds of being on the stream. Catching a few fish is a wonderful bonus when spending time in my favorite places.

Post 18 Sep 2017, 21:26 • #215 
It is fun to read about the diversity of folks that like to fly fish. There are number of folks I recognize from other forums.

I m still registered as a civil engineer in CA, but my background has been in many water related topics.

Retired in '04 and started fly fishing in '07. I am trying to make up for lost time.

Ants
Bodfish, CA

Post 22 Sep 2017, 14:05 • #216 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
I am in sales for a paper company making fine paper grades for books, magazines, catalogs, direct mail, etc. - some of you may have seen the hot tub paper salesman commercial about 10 years ago... it ain't like that at all believe me!

RETIRED!!! 4/3/17 :D

Post 26 Sep 2017, 20:56 • #217 
Interesting quarry, I suspect no one has ever asked that question here? I am Construction Project Superintendent for a major General Contractor / Construction Manager in the state of Michigan . I find that nothing seems to take the edge out of a particularly stressful day like casting flies and hoping that something hit it . I'm very new to this type of fishing , but I can tell you ....I'm hooked , no pun intended

Post 04 Oct 2017, 06:28 • #218 
Guide
Fascinating thread! Mate (Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch) on a harbor tug, 7-on/7-off. I have run crewboats and offshore supply vessels in the Gulf of Mexico oilfield and for a year I tried to be a fishing guide. Man, that's hard work. Before that I was a public information officer and writer/editor for several state agencies (including the state game and fish agency), magazine writer and daily newspaper staff writer.I was a soldier once, and young. Fly fishing saves my life on at least a weekly basis, and (so far as my wife knows) it's cheaper than therapy. I aspire to a C. Barclay rod someday, and in the meantime enjoy a variety of Echo Glass, CGR, etc., (also some carbon sticks, but I *do* love glass) mostly 3 wt and under.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 11:30 • #219 
Guide
I work as an auto mechanic in one of those small town garages that works on everything from wheel barrows to tractor trailers. When I'm not doing that I write fly fishing and fly tying books. And from time to time I still hold casting clinics and fly tying classes, but those have been getting fewer and farther between since my wife and I adopted 4 kids.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 17:15 • #220 
Glass Fanatic
Good for you!

Post 13 Feb 2018, 18:01 • #221 
I´m in the portuguese navy, comm's guy and fishing inspector, right now in a small patrol boat that do inspection of fishing vessels.

Post 26 Mar 2018, 10:48 • #222 
I love this idea, building a baseline of folks who are on here, as well as the general sense of the who, what's and why's we do what we does. Personally I fly fish for therapy. I started fly fishing after I got out of the military, I was fresh off a deployment to Iraq and figured if I didn't get a hobby I would find myself in trouble. I bought a Benelli 12 gauge shotgun for hunting and a 5wt St.croix Imperial fly rod kit to try my hand at fly fishing. That shot gun has only seen the light of day a few times, meanwhile I now average around150-200 days a year on the river. I'll fish with friends and take trips with buddies every now and then but 75% of the time I am fishing alone because it works for me! Currently my military service has come full circle so to speak, I register and enroll veterans into the Veterans Administration for benefits. I love what I do and am known as the fish guy at work ;)

Post 26 Mar 2018, 19:00 • #223 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Trout_Bum_CT!

Post 21 May 2018, 18:50 • #224 
Sport
Full time machine operator in a spandex production facility.
Part time DOT certified drug and alcohol tester.
Volunteer firefighter.

Post 18 Jul 2018, 08:34 • #225 
Sport
Hi All,
I am a retired astronomer, worked at and managed the largest planetarium in Michigan for nearly 30 years. My first real fly rod was a Fenwick 807, then a Fenwick 756. From there bamboo and graphite and now starting to get back into fiberglass a bit.
Mostly I fish for smallmouths anymore as it is a shorter drive than to a decent trout stream.
When I had my minivan, in April every year it was golf clubs in the front passenger seat, and telescope and fishing gear in the back.
Richard

Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next New Topic Add Reply