It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:51

Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Apr 2023, 11:45 • #326 
Master Guide
DWSmith wrote:
I'm a very recently retired IT professional who started fly fishing while in high school. I still fish with my first rod which is made of fiberglass that I bought 50 years ago.

This is also my first post on this website.

Dan

Welcome Dan.

Glad you still have and are fishing that first fly rod! Wish I still had my first one almost 50 years ago.

My forum name describes my life long profession. In another life I was once a chemical engineer.

Post 02 Apr 2023, 09:41 • #327 
Sport
I’m a publishing rep covering Oregon/ SW Washington and Alaska. I only fish glass (and occasional boo) for my single handers and I am slowly building my arsenal of glass two handers as well. I get to fish some pretty cool places in my travels. 50-60 trips to AK so i have fished a lot up there.

Post 08 Apr 2023, 01:03 • #328 
Guide
I've held quite an odd mixture of employment during my days, ranging from bee keeper to working on the space shuttle! It may not have added up to a distinguished career like many of you, but I have enjoyed myself and learned a great deal.

I particularly enjoyed my 13 years of aerospace work, as well as my short stint as editor of a national sporting magazine.

These days, I'm enjoying the retired life, and always trying to avoid the next addition to the "honey-do-list." :lol

Post 16 Apr 2023, 20:30 • #329 
Master Guide
Welcome JustJim! Sounds very distinguished to me! Welcome and glad to have you aboard.

Post 24 Jun 2023, 01:31 • #330 
Guide
This seemed like a good place to start, first post an all.
I moved to Odessa Texas in the early 70’s and responded to an advertisement looking for “Machinist & trainee’s”. The interview was short; i ask them to define trainee and they said “you’ll do”!
Over 47 years later i retired from Conoco Phillips (north slope) and spent 15 years in N.Dakota along the way.

Living retired now, gardening; raising rabbits and learning how to fly fish.

Post 24 Jun 2023, 16:51 • #331 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum!

Post 23 Aug 2023, 21:03 • #332 
Sport
Well - if I told you what I did for a living, there ain't hardly anybody here that'd like me; now, you probably already don't. Fly-Fisher people don't generally like the likes of me. But rest assured I do like fly-fishing and hunting and shooting and all of the outdoor stuff; but I do not get caught up in the "green movement" if you do, so what, I can't care, people just do. Unfortunately, in my profession and position, I know more than what you will read and/or hear. You'd all probably be flabbergasted some of the things I do; but if you knew the real outcome of it, a year later, there are fisher people (not necessarily fly-fisher people) who take advantage of many of my projects; that, when being done - "I was an a-hole". Most of the people that think that, never even go back to that place, they just caught wind of it. I have written several articles in many mediums that obviously get proofread before being posted (generally the article is written by someone with an agenda, fine - I get it) - funny, none of them ever get accepted. Read between the lines and you can probably figure out what industry I am in. I have several employees that fly-fish and hunt and shoot right beside me. All we can do is say "stupid media, so fake".

Post 26 Aug 2023, 12:43 • #333 
Soon to be former military here. Looking forward to making that just a past job I used to have.

Started construction on a new shop a few months ago in preparation for it. Turning the part time job now in to the full time job for the future. 6,000 square foot shop for outfitting vehicles for “overlanding”. I know, that word gets thrown out so much now for everything. But it really does encompass what we enjoy. The shop is even called “The Overland Shop”. Nice and easy. Backed up against a nice little wood line also. Picnic tables and fire pits next to the woods. Putting in about a dozen power/water stations for travelers passing through. And of course I’ll be putting a small fly fishing section in there. The shop just wouldn’t be complete without it. I’ll probably gear it towards brookies and mountain streams. Most of my free time is spent exploring back roads looking for them.

Fly fishing and tying have always been the things that have grounded me no matter what. It’s part of everything I do. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to pass that on to some friends also. I’ve recently got in to the fiberglass game, courtesy of a long time friend. It’s just added to the joy. Picked up a 1wt as my first one. I fish slower with them and that’s made the days on the streams even better. Picked up a couple blanks with hardware from Shane and I’m going to build a couple myself this winter.

The world would be a better place if more people spent time with a fly rod!

Jesse

Post 05 Feb 2024, 15:52 • #334 
As the name suggests I am a tattoo artist and part-time drug & alcohol detox manager/counselor. Plus full-time single Dad to a 14yr old daughter.

Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 New Topic Add Reply