It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:25

Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Oct 2020, 22:19 • #301 
Glass Fanatic
No, Sir. NNW of you in Colorado Springs, CO.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 20:53 • #302 
I’m a Glazier/installer, basically I cut glass for windows, tabletops, cabinet door, etc, and I also install residential and commercial glass, heavy equipment and auto glass. If it has glass I probably work on it haha. The plus side is I get to scout out a lot of places to fish while on the road to and from jobs!
Thanks
Sam from KY

Post 27 Jan 2021, 03:41 • #303 
I work within the Geospatial industry in New Zealand (data mapping)

Its always a bonus when I have to do site visits beside the sea or a river!

Post 23 Feb 2021, 00:56 • #304 
Hi everyone, I'm a wildlife biologist that is trying to incorporate some occasional fish work into the job. I just recently became obsessed with small stream fishing in the Lake Almanor area this past year due to Covid and an injury. Been exploring new rod options for small fish and streams and this forum has a wealth of information, so thanks!

Post 24 Feb 2021, 10:01 • #305 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, creekin! Glad you're over the sickness and injury and looking at creek fishing; it's great, especially with a Steffen Bros. 7'3" 2/3wt rod!

Post 31 Mar 2021, 08:11 • #306 
Afternoon all, thought it appropriate to introduce myself:

Recent inductee into the fly fishing fraternity- 6 months, plus minus. Thus far it's been an awesome journey that's taken me to some pretty awesome places- pretty shocked it took me 26 years to get into it, but that's life.

I'm a commerce graduate who decided to go back to varsity to do a 4-year degree in Plant and Soil Sciences that will hopefully be complete at the end of this year. Currently living in RSA, but looking to move come year end. Work wise, I currently run an indigenous nursery.

Chuffed to be a part of this,
Alex

Post 31 Mar 2021, 08:38 • #307 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. RSA as in Republic of South Africa? What sort of fishing do you do?

Edit: Well, I see the answer to the RSA question elsewhere. I think we have a couple of others from there here.

Post 12 Apr 2021, 04:04 • #308 
Good morning!

I'm a system developer from Drammen, Norway with main focus on infrastructure as code, designing and implementing services both in Azure and on HyperV. Been fishing since I could walk, fly fishing since juvenile and a lover of glass since I bought my first Scott F703/3 a couple decades ago =) I fish daily for brown trout and since lock-down in march 2020 I started lunch-fishing as well =)

Post 12 May 2021, 08:13 • #309 
Guide
I am a HD truck / trailer mechanic

Post 21 Jun 2021, 14:26 • #310 
Sport
Been a member here for a long time. Never posted my occupation. I work in physical therapy and rehabilitation.

Cheers.

Post 01 Jul 2021, 15:33 • #311 
Hi all, I work in furniture logistics. Started fly fishing 10 years ago in the midwest, and am now in California. Found the forum while looking for some information on james green rods and am happy to say I picked up an 8' 5/1 5wt explorer series! It's just been to the casting pond so far, but will be coming with me this weekend to the sierras.

Post 04 Aug 2021, 15:13 • #312 
Im retired from the fishing industry in California, I spent around 30 years as a party boat deckhand out the SF Bay Area, primarily salmon fishing, I also worked at several Bay Area fishing tackle stores.....8 years ago, my wife and I left Ca, for Oregon and its better fishing. I now mostly fish Trout, and I collect antique and vintage fishing tackle, including Fenwick glass rods

Post 08 Nov 2021, 01:58 • #313 
Guide
Retired after 30 + years as a social worker. Now full time dad and carer to a disabled son. Fly fishing and being outdoors with my dogs recharge me and keep me going!

Post 23 Jan 2022, 12:16 • #314 
Heavy commercial/industrial hvac service technician here. Spend most of my time keeping things running all over SC, I always keep 1-2 rods in the van, and a big box of flies, as there’s always the opportunity to leave early, utilize a lunch break, or make a pit stop on the way home to find a fish to touch.

Post 16 Apr 2022, 08:45 • #315 
I have been a college professor since 1993. I started fly fishing 1986. Fished Ithaca NY, Truckee area, Taneycomo, Missouri, and the driftless region in MN and IA. I am retiring soon, leaving the competitive research/publication world behind, with no regret. I am interested in trying to understand how the universe works through fly fishing. My taste on fly rods has evolved over the years from graphite to bamboo to graphite, now to possibly glass. I am trying glass rods with keen interest.

Post 13 May 2022, 16:54 • #316 
Industrial / Clinical Microbiologist by training, doing a mix of commercial / business analysis, systems engineering, surface chemistry, immunology & molecular biology.

Making blood and saliva tests for whatever.

Post 18 Jun 2022, 10:34 • #317 
Hey guys n gals! Great to be a member of this forum! I own about 20 glass fly rods
and recently purchased a Fenwick FF705 which is in great shape. It's missing the
rubber end cap and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find one.
Thanks!

Post 18 Jun 2022, 10:45 • #318 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. The plug on the butt end of rod? You can always post in the “rods wanted” forum (more than just rods) or check rod building supply sites, but at least one of my Fenwicks has a shaped piece of cork epoxied in.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 06:11 • #319 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Dave. One of the first things you'll enjoy doing is trying the search function (upper right of the frame), which will usually turn up more than enough on many questions. That rod was probably fitted with a rubber "plug" that fit inside the barrel of the reel seat, as opposed to a "cap" placed over it. Either way, those terms searched with "Fenwick" will give plenty of options.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 11:16 • #320 
Guide
Hi, I have worked at the same company since 1984. We specialize in high end custom fabrication and architectural specialties include lighting in the commercial construction industry, theme parks, institutional way finding including universities and medical campuses. Everything from one off sculptural elements to engineering, fabrication and installation of way finding systems for entire towns. Besides fishing, making and restoring things and learning are my hobbies. I have been a Project Manager for the last 20 years but have Design and Fabrication oversight on all my projects primarily because I was the original (only) fabricator when we started the company.

Post 23 Oct 2022, 18:33 • #321 
Guide
I work in the ministry.
When I was younger, I worked construction & served in the military.
I was born & raised blue collar, but in a small mining town-at that time, fly fishing wasn't really seen as a wealthy sport—more like an interesting way to fish.
While I may agree with others about “fishing to leave work behind,” I’d say that we need to remember the past, so that we can learn from it. But getting people to challenge everything they think they know, is my job! :eek

Post 21 Feb 2023, 22:17 • #322 
Sport
Hey all - lurker for a while, first-time poster. I got back into fly fishing over the last few years after spending many years spin fishing, and caught the glass bug last year. I work in HR for a hedge fund in NYC and live in northern NJ.

Post 15 Mar 2023, 14:37 • #323 
I am retired from teaching high school English in Florida. I was also a wrestling coach. We moved to Tennessee five years ago where I fish for trout in the GSMNP. In Florida I mainly fly fished in salt water with my 8'6" white Shakespeare Wonderod with a Medalist 1498 reel.
Joe

Post 15 Mar 2023, 18:02 • #324 
Guide
I'm a retired DOT safety officer. I am enjoying not living behind a steering wheel, and getting to have late breakfasts and coffee with my wife. We live near the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. My fly vest and favorite Wonderod and Fenwick live in the truck toolbox or in the Subaru now.

My journey with glass rods has been fun. My dad started with bamboo and switched to glass in the 1950s. When he was in school in the 1930s and sold Grit newspapers, one of the prizes was a cheap (his words) bamboo fly rod. His mom wasn't sure about that, but his dad said he could choose it. That started him down a one way path to fly fishing. When he switched to glass, I got to ask him to borrow one of his Wonderods, which I still use. I've caught a sight of fish on it, and I still smile every time I pull its sock out of the tube. Of course, I am easily entertained...

I tried graphite and boron, nothing wrong with them, but I think I just smile more when I'm swinging glass.

Post 01 Apr 2023, 10:21 • #325 
I'm a very recently retired IT professional who started fly fishing while in high school. I still fish with my first rod which is made of fiberglass that I bought 50 years ago.

This is also my first post on this website.

Dan

Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next New Topic Add Reply