It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:44

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Mar 2012, 09:33 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Moderators, not 100% sure if this is the place to ask this question, so please move if desired.

Fishing is an interesting past time that can transcend a variety of barriers. Fly fishing is a subsection of fishing that may invoke images within the mind of the general population of a past time practiced by a certain segment of the population (ie. social, economic etc ... ). Furthermore, I think the fiberglass rod using population to be an interesting subsection within the fly fishing population. Using your occupation/trade/skill as a generic factor of the fiberglass rod users demographic, I thought it would be an interesting way to get to know each other better and get a better understanding of the fly fishing population. My guess is it will be a wide range of occupations/skills but who knows, I could be wrong.

I can start. The nature of this post falls in line with my occupation as a data manager and epidemiologist (aka researcher) at a university.

Post 09 Mar 2012, 19:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I am a physical therapist. The guy I fish with most of the time, and who is also a member of this forum, is a retired professor of Economics. Another friend of ours who fishes with glass is a retired electrical engineer. That's quite a cross section, just within our own small group.

Larry

Post 09 Mar 2012, 19:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'm a real estate agent and musician. Being self employed means I can fish during the week.

Post 09 Mar 2012, 20:11 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I am an ex-corporate intranet editor transitioned to the public sector where I am a teacher of special education -- and loving it.

Post 09 Mar 2012, 20:34 • #5 
Master Guide
Retired QA chemist for a pharmaceutical company. As a hobby I started building computers, I built and maintain the PC's for my wife's business. Mostly fish a lot though. :)

Post 09 Mar 2012, 23:50 • #6 
Master Guide
Spent a number of years in the Tire industry and got smart and went into printing. Over 20 years in pre-press and am now a self employed Handyman. I'm a cross section all by myself! :rollin

Mike

Post 10 Mar 2012, 01:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Architect and musician. :)

Post 10 Mar 2012, 16:36 • #8 
Master Guide
Well I don't know, a lot of other forum have an occupation thread and it can be kind of cool to see what everyone else does for a graft.

Myself, I am self employed as a Carpenter and as Pete states above being self employed has it's advantages.

Post 11 Mar 2012, 01:52 • #9 
Master Guide
I fish to leave work behind. I wouldn't list my occupation here.

The great thing about this forum is that it doesn't matter what you do for a living, here it's all about fiberglass rods and that is all that matters.

Post 11 Mar 2012, 09:20 • #10 
Guide
I am a School Counselor. I really enjoy my job, I work hard to try and improve kids lives. I go into classrooms and present guidance lessons on various topics. I work with at-risk students to prevent drop-out and discipline issues. This forum and fly fishing in general help me to maintain my sanity.

Post 11 Mar 2012, 18:02 • #11 
Emeritus
I am a disability counselor and work with people with a variety of disabilities from brain injuries to folks missing limbs to being blind. Most of them love to fish!

I forgot to mention that I retired after 26 years in law enforcement.

Post 11 Mar 2012, 20:10 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Retired Coast Guard Officer, Stay at home Dad.

Post 11 Mar 2012, 21:06 • #13 
Guide
Full time Police Officer of 25 years and (for now) a part-time fly fishing guide.

Post 11 Mar 2012, 22:44 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Very interesting responses. As someone mentioned, I too fly fish to get away from the stresses of work/life. Alas, I am not as fortunate as some to go fishing as often as I would like (My wife would kill me -has threaten a few times :) ) but thankful when I can. Again this is just a way to learn more about the people who get a thrill out of fishing with the fiberglass rod. Thanks for sharing.

Post 12 Mar 2012, 00:30 • #15 
Guide
I retired after 32 years investigating education civil rights complaints for a Federal adminstrative law agency. Although I started fly fishing in 2006, I joined here when I gravitated to glass and bamboo a couple of years ago.

Post 12 Mar 2012, 06:26 • #16 
Master Guide
I try to be a full time flyfisher and motorycle rider :lol

but when my wallet gets empty, I go back to remodeling :(

Post 12 Mar 2012, 06:44 • #17 
Master Guide
I was a contractor/small fleet owner& driver for an Airfreight company,started having health problems & got out of it. Now I am a school bus driver for a small rural school district. There are 2 great small creeks winding all thru my area I cover. Just made for fishing glass!

Post 12 Mar 2012, 13:07 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
When not fishing I sell promotional products.

Les

Post 12 Mar 2012, 15:17 • #19 
Master Guide
Retired Army, 91. Since then, I've been in the facility management business at the University of Georgia.
Jim

Last edited by nielson on 30 Aug 2012, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Mar 2012, 18:22 • #20 
Guide
I was clerical officer in industry and government for 14 years, then clerical officer in the Swiss army for 16 years. Now I lead different workshops in a nursing home and I help elderly people in their everyday life. It's a wonderful new job.

I practice my job at 80%. The rest of the time I go fly fishing.

Post 12 Mar 2012, 22:20 • #21 
Inactive
I'm a pilot and part time vintage Powell dealer.

Post 14 Mar 2012, 12:31 • #22 
Sport
Psychologist/Behavior Analyst, overseeing clinical services for a human service agency that runs residential homes and day programs for adults with developmental and severe psychiatric disabilities. Moonlight teaching at a local university that is conveniently located around the corner from the only remaining fly shop in the area, which in turn is located across the street from one of the better fishing rivers in this part of New England.

Post 15 Mar 2012, 11:04 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Westfielder wrote:
Psychologist/Behavior Analyst, overseeing clinical services for a human service agency that runs residential homes and day programs for adults with developmental and severe psychiatric disabilities. Moonlight teaching at a local university that is conveniently located around the corner from the only remaining fly shop in the area, which in turn is located across the street from one of the better fishing rivers in this part of New England.

Does the DSM have something about constantly dreaming while at work about wondering along creeks with a fiberglass rod catching gills and smallmouth bass? It has prevented me from completing work on time and problems with thinking 3x, 5x and 6x means smaller. Not that that I want to be cured or anything ...

Post 16 Mar 2012, 14:48 • #24 
Sport
ARReflections wrote:
Westfielder wrote:

Does the DSM have something about constantly dreaming while at work about wondering along creeks with a fiberglass rod catching gills and smallmouth bass? It has prevented me from completing work on time and problems with thinking 3x, 5x and 6x means smaller. Not that that I want to be cured or anything ...

I'm sure I could come up with some diagnosis and, if we document things correctly, we might get your insurance company to pay for weekly sessions of "fishing therapy"!

Post 19 Mar 2012, 07:02 • #25 
Administrator
I am a police detective, husband, father, blogger, lawn boy, and whatever other hat I need to wear to get done what's needs done.

Neat to get a glimpse behind the screen names.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next New Topic Add Reply