It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:10

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: New Forum Member
Post 14 Dec 2011, 00:34 • #26 
Administrator
Wade,

I'm probably the best guy to contact about the Wiki. One of the next phases of our recent server move is to bring our Wiki in house. The Wiki software is installed, but I don't yet have the time to move the information from the old site (at least the old Wiki site won't delete us for wanting to move).

For a quick photo posting tutorial, go to this post. Basically, reduce your photo to web friendly size, upload a copy to PhotoBucket, and then paste the PhotoBucket IMG link into your post. The PhotoBucket account is free and allows you to store your photos once and use them where ever you see fit.

Back in 2006 a young man in Flagstaff posted about a number of rods that his uncle had left him. It turns out the uncle had been an owner of a rod building/fly tackle shop in a different state. I bought some rod building materials and a couple of rods from him, including a Sage SFL580. Many of the materials had price tags for the "Hidden Rod Shop" on them. Perhaps it is the same one mentioned above?

Tom

Post 14 Dec 2011, 01:26 • #27 
Sport
Thanks Tom,

I saw this site some time back and keep going to this Yuku chat room location. So, what happened ... I surmise from what I have read that they just deleted everything that had been put up?

Thanks for the info, I will try to upload a photo or two. Never used Photobucket before, but will figure it out.

Probably, that little shop had a lot of interest. It was in an old house in Signal Hill, which is a small town in the City of Long Beach. They carried a lot of the Sage S-Glass stuff. And is where I bought my set of Sage S-Glass blanks. Seems that I remember someone telling me that when they closed up the guy moved to Arizona, but that was a long time ago. Got a good friend Bob G. locally, I can ask him. That 580 is a take off of the old FF 79 design. Never built it, but know what it will feel like. When you build rods everyday, they feel funny with guides, handles, and reels. That tells you I need to do more fishin. Got a funny one on that ... guys bring rods in my shop all the time ... all kinds of rods ... first thing I ask is ... Is it okay if I take the reel off this? Then I can swing it around and feel the rod, without added weight. People think I'm nuts. Probably am.

Bob, just retired a couple of weeks ago, he is coming into the shop a few days a week to help out. Bob has been building for wow, since the late 60's I believe, loves to build fly rods and I've been telling him about the site here. He brought in a glass Hardy last Saturday to show me because I was talking about all this glass fly rod stuff and the forum. Nice rod. I think he wants to sell it and I'll bet that some of the members here would be interested. Not sure what he wants for it, but it has to be a fairly rare rod.

Poked around in the rodbuilding area ... some real interesting stuff there. I have enjoyed my time and found a very open welcome here. Hopefully, I can contribute good info to members, especially those that are rodbuilders and Fenwick lovers. I like to help others but don't want to act like an expert or anything like that. Any rodbuilder that is worth a hoot, will tell you that you can always learn new things.

Not really certain how to introduce myself in the rodbuilding area, guess that I can just chime in.

Gotta go for now.

Thanks for helping me along!

I'm always trying to say too much here - my posts are too long ... I'll try to keep it shorter. Good thing is that I can type pretty fast.

Wade

Post 14 Dec 2011, 15:26 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Wade, as Tom said, he is the point man for the Wiki, so have at it! And by all means, jump into the fray on Rod Building & Tackle Tinkering. When it comes to rod-building, I love new, different opinions, even old ones that can be dusted off. The beauty of this forum is that it enables everyone of us to tap into a vast, deep pool of collective rod-making experience and expertise. I'm confident that you will be a valuable contributor.

Post 15 Dec 2011, 20:06 • #29 
Sport
Criscip,

We will see if we can add anything in the rod building area. From what it looks like ... there is a lot of talent there.

I will try to help out where I can.

Thanks,

Wade

Post 19 Dec 2011, 20:41 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Wade, Curious about a few things about the FF837; What year did it come out and why did Fenwick decide on that length? It was an odd length at the time but several modern builders are using that length today.
Was it a good seller for Fenwick? I finally decided to get the Johnson Fenwick book and see that you were a contributor. I've never cast the 837 but will probably get one in the near future. Thanks again, Jay

Post 20 Dec 2011, 23:21 • #31 
Sport
Jay,

In 1971-1972 Fenwick changed all the actions on their fly rods. Previously, they were all different types of actions. During the time from 72-78 Fenwick sold the FF 806, FF 807, and FF 857 well. Actually, back then 7 weights were very popular. For years the the FF 85 which really was a 7 or an 8 weight was one of the most popular models. During 1976-78 Fenwick really was growing and a handful of models were developed to sell to the Marts or Big Box stores, like K-Mart. I was quite opposed to them selling the rods into these kind of stores. They developed different models to sell into these discount stores and the standard models were kept for the specialty retailers. Like flyshops and etc. Hence the FF 837 was born. The length being changed so it was different. Several other spinning rods like the FS 68 (6'8") and a few bass rods were also developed. I moved up to Washington about this time to work at the Fenwick Grizzley blank shop, under the direction of Don Green and Jim Green. Truly a rewarding experience. I am not certain, but a 837 was probably produced around 79-82 under the Woodstream ownership. It would have been the same blank tip section as the FF 807 and FF 857, with only a slight modification in the butt section to facilitate ferrule fit to the tip. I am sure that a lot of them were produced to move to the mart stores.

If you are looking for a 7 wgt. the FF 80 or FF 85 were hard to beat. Best ones would be Serial numbers starting G to K, as a few were produced until then. The butts were really unique on them, working deep into the rod. When properly cast they can really carry the line. The tips on the new rods were faster and tighter than the earlier rods, with all the models feeling similar. You will see reference to this design change on Page 4 of the 1972-73 Catalog. The FF 807 and FF 857 would be very similar to the 837's. The rods built earlier would probably be of better quality and more collectible than the 837's. Look for Serial No. J, K, L, in 807 and 857's.

Hope this helps ... are you still looking for an FF 806? Again, J, K, L, would be your best bet.

Wade

Vic Johnson did a pretty good job on his book. He was quite objective about the politics with the people and all. He wanted it to be based on facts, not rumors or peoples feelings. Vic asked me to write the foreward for the book, but I suggested that Don Green would be better suited, and deemed respect.

Post 21 Dec 2011, 08:50 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Hope this helps ... are you still looking for an FF 806? Again, J, K, L, would be your best bet.

Wade, Thanks again for your info, much appreciated here.

I have 2 FF806's. One with metal reel seat, single foot stripper, no serial number and one with the all cork reel seat.

Post 28 Jul 2022, 17:57 • #33 
Master Guide
Just when I think I have found every Fenwick history thread on this forum up pops this gem! Best FF85 and FF80s are serial numbers J,K and L? Jackpot both of mine are Ks.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply