It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:57

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
New Forum Member
Post 09 Dec 2011, 10:36 • #1 
Sport
Hey There,

This is my first post.

As a veteran rodmaker with now 40 years of experience thought it would be cool to visit with other glass lovers. I worked at Fenwick in the early 70's and worked with Jim and Don Green. Later built the very first Sage rods after Fenwick. I am located in Southern California and build rods full-time in my shop Wade Rods. Love the old glass rods and can see new interest all over the country. Not sure if this is the right place to say all this, but will learn as I feel my way around the forum.

Wade Cunningham

Post 09 Dec 2011, 12:50 • #2 
Administrator
Wade,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! This is absolutely the right place to introduce yourself. If you love old glass rods, then you couldn't be in a better place to discuss them.

I hope you are ready for a few questions. I would guess over 90% of us own at least one Fenwick glass rod. Many of us own several. They certainly have stood the test of time and they fish as well today as they did when they first hit the market.

The Sage S-glass rods are much harder to find, but those of us that have them don't let them go. With the translucent blank, hardware, and subtle wraps, I think those rods were the prettiest that Sage ever built.

Look around the forum and learn where we hide stuff. We have a rodbuilding area that is rather active. There is also a "What's New on the Market" section that is designed for commercial members like yourself to announce new products and projects. I hope you like the place.

Tom

Post 10 Dec 2011, 00:49 • #3 
Sport
Tom,

Got this so test is good!

Look forward to visiting with members of the forum.

This is where I spend my off hours, so keep that in mind.

Wade Cunningham

Re: New Forum Member
Post 10 Dec 2011, 01:58 • #4 
Administrator
We'll love for you to visit, but don't let us wear you out.

The whole idea of this forum is for people to have fun, whether that is from reading the posts or answering the questions. If it isn't fun, there are too many other fun things to do than hang out here.

Tom

Post 10 Dec 2011, 09:43 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Wade,
Welcome to the forum. As Tom said, if you are a glass lover you are in the right place.

I own a Fenwick FF806 with an all cork, uplocking reel seat. I think this rod is as close as you can get to a "do it all" fly rod.

Would love to hear more from you about your time at Fenwick and Sage and the rods you built there. During what period of time were you employed at Fenwick, and what are your favorite Fenwick, Sage glass rods?

Do you have a Web site with pictures of rods you are building now?

Regards,
Pat

Post 10 Dec 2011, 09:45 • #6 
Emeritus
Wade, welcome to FFR! As Tom mentioned, the work done by Fenwick and Sage is highly thought of. Enjoy your time here! I'd love to hear some Fenwick and Sage history from someone who lived it.

Post 10 Dec 2011, 23:54 • #7 
Sport
Thanks for the welcome Guys -

I'm not much into forums ... look at them, but don't participate much. Being in the rod business, sometimes I just want to get away from it, but boy did this site get my attention. Guess my roots in building glass rods.

Yeah, Pat the FF 806 was the FF 79 replacement. It had a tough act to follow, as the 79 was really popular in the west US, with the shorter versions bigger back east. There was a lot of development done on the "new rods" as we used to call them. Back then we were trying to make them faster action, yet keep them as light as possible. Mandrel design was the key and the "new rods" had multiple taper changes in the tooling and in the cut glass patterns to put that tight tip in them. I learned to cast with them, but really favored the slower straight tapered tips turned over by a powerful butt. The 75 and 79 had that kind of action. Fenwicks first graphites had that tight fast tip too. The first Sage Winslow rods had the straight tapered tip feel. I remember talking with Don Green about that as he designed the first blanks at Sage. Nevertheless the FF 806 was produced in huge volume during late 1971 thru 1975. I can remember releases of 200 to 300 of them at a time to the production line. When Dad started in 1969 Fenwick was making 600-900 rods per day, when I left, over 1200 rods a day were common. The blank factory was producing close to 3000 parts or sections a day, 2 shifts. A lot of fishing rods!

I guess my favorite old Fenwick was the FF 84. I don't have one and have would like to get one someday. A Serial no. E to H which would have been when my father was the production supervisor at Fenwick. I founded a rod company in Long Beach California later on 1981 -1992 and made some FF 83, FF 84's there. They were exactly the same in a honey gold glass. Think I still have the blanks, maybe I should get busy and make myself one. My personal rods are a sad affair, mostly left over stuff that I grab on the way out the door if I need a rod.

Sage did not make very many different models of their S-Glass blanks. I have one of each (not for sale - sorry) that I am keeping for possible future production of blanks similar. They were very similar to the Fenwick's, not many were made. Don really wanted to keep making them, but the sales reps needed more graphite production back then and the glass blanks were just interrupting their production.

I started working at Fenwick in the summer of 1971 part-time salvaging parts on rework bass handles and drilling eyeball holes in the parent company Sevenstrand's lure heads. I graduated High School in 1972 and Dad called me a few days later asking if I wanted to do some mechanical drafting work for Fenwick. I had studied drafting with aspirations of becoming an engineer someday, so that was great with me. Ended up drawing cork grip handles and then moved into specifications on the rods. Before you knew it I was involved in designing parts like the little hook-keeper you see on late 70 and early 80 fly rods. All kinds of stuff. My Dad was the production supervisor taking Jim Green's place and my Uncle ran the Sevenstrand wire and lure production. We all loved to fish and working at Fenwick was really something back then. I ended up moving to the Washington blank plant in early 1977 working under Don and Jim Green. Looking back what an experience for a young man. I ended up getting fired in the middle of a corporate proxy dispute between Phil Clock and Don Green, my cousin had married Phil Clocks brother in law and I had sided with Don Green (as I was dating his daughter Donna) in the dispute. Put it this way Don and I did not last long. Jimmy keep his mouth shut and stayed on for a long time. Think it was late 78 when that all went down.

I have a web-site home page at: waderods.com - We are currently working on a full site that will have photos of my work. Being here in Southern California we build a ton of saltwater boat rods. But we also make trout spinning rods, bass rods, and still make some fly rods on a custom basis. Most of my current work is contract work for larger Big Game rods and etc. We are looking to market our Wade Brand rods direct via the new web-site. All high end stuff, but reasonable pricing.

I have blank making equipment that I have been collecting and hope to set it up next year. This slow economy is not helping my plans with slower sales and profits. We plan on making glass spinning blanks, graphite bass blanks, and saltwater blanks to support our requirements, but may take a shot at building some glass fly rod blanks, as well. My years at Fenwick, founding and designing the Seeker blanks, and working as the blank designer for Shikari for 5 or 6 years gives me the experience and background to make almost any blank, any action, that I want to. The bottom line is I am trying to make a living doing it ... has not been easy for the the last few years.

Guess I have written too much here. I'm sure I will have other opportunities to visit and share with you all. If any have questions and I can help - please ask -

Thanks,

Wade

Post 11 Dec 2011, 00:21 • #8 
Administrator
The FF84 is a classic. It is one of my favorite early Fenwicks also. That said, we need a picture in this thread. The photo below is a very early FF84 that does not have a serial number. I'm guessing it was made in the 1963-1964 time frame. The WF-7 marking is interesting and the butt section on this blank is far larger than other FF84s from a couple of years later.

Wade, you mentioned the Sage Winslow rods. I have a remarkably slender Winslow marked blank (second photo below) but I have never seen a Winslow marked factory rod. I assume they are rare beasts. How long was it before everything was switched over to the Sage logo name?

Tom

Post 11 Dec 2011, 02:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Wade! Thanks for the history lesson on the Fenwicks, they are truly great rods, I have the FF806 and like to fish it on medium size streams in SW Montana. I would love to see some of your work, don't hesitate to post some pictures. I am a rod builder myself.

Dusty

Post 11 Dec 2011, 10:16 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Wade, thank for your generous post. There are many on this forum, myself inlcuded, who appreciate vintage Fenwick and Sage glass.

Should you continue in the historical vein, I think you will find an audience here for an "inside look" at Fenwick during the glass glory days. Also interesting is your mention that you may still have the ff84 and ff83 blanks. Did you mean mandrels? Perhaps there is a new glass blank making endeavor in your future? For what it's worth, a trend I've noticed is that rod builders are looking for translucent glass blanks.

I'll be sure to check out your Website, and look forward to seeing and hearing more from you.

--Pat

Post 11 Dec 2011, 12:47 • #11 
Sport
Tom,

Your FF 84 is probably a 58-60 vintage rod. Does it have an aluminum ferrule or is it tip over butt? Looks to be in pretty good shape. They were yellow when built, the phenolic resin really turns red or dark orange with time and gave them the orange look. If it has an aluminum ferrule then it is a FL 102-7 blank ... pretty sure.

Your Winslow is one of the original Sage blanks. I built the Winslow rods for Sage in the beginning. They had really slender butts on them. The butts were high modulus graphite in the 55 million modulus range. Puts it like GLX material to compare. A DOD (Dept. of Defense) contract went out on the material about a year into it and we could not get the material any more. It was the mid 80's before intermediate modulus materials started to become available to us. So, the butts on the earlier Sages were really slim and then tapers had to change to utilize the lower modulus materials that were available. Really changed the rods. That blank is probably worth a lot as it is probably made in the first year or two that Sage made blanks.

The Winslow name was used for about a year and them Winston rods complained that the Font and look was too close to theirs. Winslow is a little town on Bainbridge Island where the Fenwick and Sage factorys were. Don Green, founder of Sage did not want to offend anyone so he changed the name to Sage. I am not certain how many rods we made the first year, they have to be very rare.

Hope this helps with dating your FF 84 and the Winslow Sage blank.

Wade

Post 11 Dec 2011, 13:53 • #12 
Sport
Dusty,

I have lots of stories about my years at Fenwick. They were ahead of their time that was for sure. I look back at it now and wonder how I fell into it all. I am not much for forums, but got into this one. As I can we will add more info on my rod work. I just looked back at a hand written spreadsheet that I have. In 1976 we produced 6000 FF 806 glass rods. Other than a few models of Bass rods, that was one of the most popular rods made. If I can answer any questions on rod building let me know. Almost 40 years of rod building experience.

Thanks for your welcome!

Wade

Post 11 Dec 2011, 14:09 • #13 
Administrator
Wade,

That FF84 is a tip over butt model with the Feralite markings. It isn't yellow anymore, but it is probably the lightest color Fenwick blank I have. I suspect the rod was barely used. It is in wonderful shape.

55 Million modulus would have been the highest modulus material in a rod at that time. That explains the slim dimensions. Of course I'm sure the DOD paid much better coin for their uses of such high modulus graphite.

Whenever I get asked about the name "Sage", I tell a story that I made up. This is a complete fiction, but nobody ever challenges me on it:

The company had two amazing rod designers/production engineers. These gentlemen were at the top of the game with more experience than anyone else. Such an individuals are "sages". Furthermore, they were both named Green and both getting older and grayer. "Sage" is a greyish, green color. Given that, what other name could you call the company?

Tom

Post 11 Dec 2011, 14:20 • #14 
Sport
Hey Pat,

Well my wife wants to know if I am writing a book here. She says that I'm ignoring her ... can't win either too much attention or not enough. I would be pleased to tell members more about Fenwick and my years growing up in the rod business. Not sure where to best post it in the forums here. Need to poke around some more. There is so little information on Fenwick, and no photos ... Phil Clock would not allow a camera in the building.

Yeah, I have intention to set up my rolling equipment and start making blanks again. I have it all in storage and if I can get time and funding I am going to move ahead with it. I am planning on launching my new web-site soon. One of the priority rod series is my new Explorer Fiberglass Trout Spinning rod series. I have 3 younger brothers and we all fish with the old glass ultra light spinning rods. FS 60, FS 61, FS 64 and the like. They are going for $200 plus on Ebay all the time. So, we are looking to be able to produce our own blanks as we go forward. So, if we get there, glass fly rods would be just dumb easy for me. Some of the butt mandrel tapers for glass fly rods are not that different from spinning rods. Guess this is one of the reasons the forums here got my attention.

I saw some posts indicating the interest in translucent glass blanks. I have to laugh about it a bit however. Back in 1968-70 Fenwick was doing all that they could to make the resin pigments opaque. No one wanted to see the fiber then ... Thats when NCP (Opague) threads came along. I have a 1969 Fenwick catalog here that goes on about the endeavor to make them opaque. Don't know if I can attach a. pdf scan here in the posts. (Still got a lot to learn on navigating here too!)

Yeah, it would be easy to do translucent blanks ... but there are some drawbacks to it. If you read Tom Morgan's recent issues you will see some. Tooling has to be very clean requiring special handling. Tacking the material to the mandrels is more difficult and overall cleanliness of rolling equipment. If a little bit of black resin rubs off on the roll or equipment used in processing then you will see it in the finished part. We won't be high production, so when we get there we can be a bit more cautious. I'm not telling all that I have up my sleeve on this yet.

I founded a company in Long Beach California and for a short time we worked to get into the fly market. Even produced a few glass fly blanks. But at that time 1988-90 the graphite rods were dominating and there was no interest in glass. That is when I made some FF83 and 84 blanks. I think I still have 2 or 3 of them in my store blank store room. I have about 2500 blanks so, locating them is not a snap of my fingers. I will make it a point to see if I can find them.

I need to see if I can learn to post a. pdf here.

Thanks,

Wade

Post 11 Dec 2011, 14:47 • #15 
Administrator
Wade,

Currently we don't have a way to attach a. pdf file here. But I might be able to post that at our Wiki site (https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick). Eventually all the Wiki materials will be better integrated with the forum, but that isn't here yet.

Tom

Post 11 Dec 2011, 14:56 • #16 
Sport
To,

Your Fenwick was made in 59 or 60 then. Probably under the Brignall ownership. Dad was friends with the Brignalls and I remember doing some business with Cliff's son Clancy. Clancy was a tackle sales rep and sold the Penn line back in 1980's. His Dad started Sevenstrand and was the parent company that bought Fenwick and moved Jim Green down to California. Jim stayed in Southern California until the late 60's when my father took his place supervising rod assembly at the California factory. Dad was Lt. Col. USAF retired, fighter pilot. His leadership skills helped organize the staff in the largest years of Fenwicks growth. Brignalls, Clocks, Billings, my uncle Buck Buchanan, and Dad were all members of the Southern California Tuna Club and all knew each other well. My uncle had plastic injection molding equipment in his business (aquarium aeration pumps) and he made the butt caps and winding checks that you see on serial no. D to H Fenwick rods. When Dad first retired in 68 Buck and Dad started making marlin and tuna lures selling them to Fenwick Sevenstrand. They sold out to Fenwick after a short time and that is how Dad, my uncle Buck and I all became so ingrained at Fenwick. Your rod was built right before the company moved to California, I believe or just afterwards which puts it 59 - 60. The first serial no.s were started in 1961 starting with "A." Each year it changed so a G was 1967. The change over was in late July or early August when the labels ran out we changed over. If your rod has the Feralite label, it is really rare as not many rods were built during this time without serial no's.

As this was way before my time, all I know is what Jimmy Green used to tell me about those years. During that time they were using the one-piece blanks and using two blanks to make one rod. Later when Jimmy went up to Bainbridge Island special sections were designed and the real refinement in the Fenwick actions took place. That was under the direction of Phil Clock.

Your story about the Sage's is almost correct and behind the scenes more true than not. Jimmy Green and Don Green were not related. Don started in at Lamiglas in the early 50's and split off starting Grizzley Fiberglass in 53 or 54 as I recall. He owned the blank plant until 1966 when there was a fire in the shop. Thats when he sold out to Clock and became shareholder in Sevenstrand Fenwick. Don had a partner, Jim Martin, and I worked under Jim here in Southern California back in 72- 75. Jimmy was with Fenwick earlier and was the fly caster and blank designer. Ran the production floor as well before he moved up to Washington. Don started Sage and Jimmy and I were supposed to be part of it in the beginning. Jimmy and I both turned Don down on going to work with him at Sage. Funding was pretty tight and wage offers were very low. I decided to go out on my own making rods under the brand Pacifica. Thats when I made the first Sage Winslow rods for him. Jimmy stayed on at Fenwick for many years. Behind the scenes Jimmy was kind of a sounding board for Don. Later he left Fenwick and worked closely with Sage for years.

Thats about all I can tell you for now. I will poke around here some more and try to stay active as I can.

Thanks,

Wade

Post 11 Dec 2011, 15:02 • #17 
Sport
Tom,

I am not sure the. pdf would belong there. How do I attach photos?

That may be a way to do it in the meantime.

Gotta go for today. Talk soon!

Wade

Post 11 Dec 2011, 16:49 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Wade,
Oh my gosh! THE WIKI! You should by all means check out the Wiki associated with this forum https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/. I bet you have a wealth of valuable historical (and anecdotal) information to add. We also have a very active, very open sub-forum here called Rodbuilding and Tackle Tinkering with many professionals and amateurs (like me) contributing regularly. We discuss rodbuilding design, process, problems. I think you will enjoy it.

By the way, I checked out your Website and it's looking good. Keep us posted of progress as you build it up.

As for this forum competing with the wife for your attention ... I always tell mine "dear it's not how much, but the quality of time and attention." That and a few extra compliments on her cooking, or hairdo, or going out on a spur of the moment dinner date can work wonders. Ya gotta get creative. Oh, and, this helps assuage any guilt over that 68th reel I just had to have, or that latest rod purchase. It's a fine line. PS,I hope she's not reading this :rollin

--Pat

Post 12 Dec 2011, 20:42 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, what an introduction. Welcome aboard Wade, and keep those posts coming.

Post 12 Dec 2011, 22:51 • #20 
Master Guide
Wade.
I appreciate the time you invested in those posts. Please stick around and pop in on occasion. We always welcome a resident expert! This is the type of information that will be referenced again and again. Please get some information added to the wiki as time allows.
Thanks,
DT

Post 12 Dec 2011, 23:11 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Wade,

Welcome. What great information, especially for the many of us who are Fenwick fans and aficionados -- thank you.

I am not sure if we have crossed paths or not. I lived in Seal Beach between '68 and '74, and my Dad and I were active members in the Long Beach Casting Club. During that time we frequented the Hidden Rod Shop on Signal Hill run by Don Mollet and John Hockenbrock, where we bought a number of Fenwick brown and yellow glass FL series fly rod blanks (as well as a few SP series spinning rod blanks). The yellow glass, 2 piece, tip over butt sleeve ferruled FL 96-6 is still the "go to" rod for myself, my Dad, and now my son, as well as my late Grandfather. My other Fenwick passion is the Grizzly-Fenwick glass fly rods. (I am on the look out for a FL 842 to replace the one from my Grandfather that got "shortened" at some point in its life.) I also plan on buying a FF79 at some point.

Andrew.

Post 13 Dec 2011, 20:48 • #22 
Sport
Gearboy and Spencer DT,

Thanks Guys, yeah I can be a bit chatty when it comes to the good old Fenwick days. Building rods for nearly 40 years now, boy have I got some stories. No, I'm not starting another one here, but remind me later on to tell everybody about when Steve Abel came to me and we started making Big Game Saltwater Fly Rods. Not Glass, but a really fun project in the fly tackle arena. Just came to my mind! Jimmy Green was quite a saltwater fly fishermen and the early years at Fenwick they had some pretty good rods. That was around 64-67 before my time there.

I will do my best to contribute as time goes by. Want to spend more time reviewing more of the posts and etc. I need to figure out how to post a picture and get up to speed on navigating the site. I will definitely try to stay active

I work 50 hours plus a week building rods and I am still learning everyday. I have a lot of experience, but like my uncle used to say ... "experience is great, but who needs it" If you are anyone has any questions on their rods or Fenwicks, let me know. I will do my best to share my experience. I love the interest here and can't wait to contribute more as time goes by.

Wade

Post 13 Dec 2011, 21:07 • #23 
Sport
Hey Andrew,

I graduated high school in '72 and started working at Fenwick down in Westminster full time then. I worked part-time the summer before mostly salvaging parts on bass rods. Tournament bass fishing was really taking off back then and we had lots of problems with the old pistol grip and offset handles. I grew up fishing as dad was Air Force. Last place he was stationed was in Montana ... I have some great memories of fishing up there when I was young.

I used to go to the Hidden Rod Shop up in Signal Hill too, but that was around 1982 or so. Also, hung out at Fishermans Hardware on Anaheim St. and Temple. That shop just closed down about a month ago ... part of history. If you were a member of the Long Beach Casting Club then you know quite a lot as Fenwick got started just a few blocks from there. Back in the early 80's I lived right around there and used to go to the Casting Club to practice casting and try my rods out. Club is still there, but had a fire a few years back ... a lot was lost, but they rebuilt it. I went over one evening this last spring. Want to get more involved with the club, maybe next year. My brother Jack has taken an interest in Fly fishing (avid trout, bass, saltwater fishermen) and wants to take fly casting lessons at the LB Casting Club next spring.

The FL blanks were pretty good rods. I forget what the FL 842 was ... let me look that one up. I have a Grizzley Fenwick blank catalog sheet somewhere and it has some info on that. Yeah, FF 79 is a great glass rod. It is probably my personal favorite of all the old series rods. Keep your eye out on eBay for them. Guys know their value though ... I can not believe what some of the older rods are bringing there.

Thanks for the welcome and I will look up the info on the FL 842 when I get a chance.

Wade

Post 13 Dec 2011, 21:18 • #24 
Sport
Hey Pat,

I checked out the Wiki ... a lot of info there. I am going to need some time to see what I can add. Want to get some of the old Fenwick catalog stuff I have and post it so you guys can view it. Who is the forum's expert on advising me how to do that?

Also, I checked out the rodbuilding area and will be putting my 2 cents in there for sure.

Yeah, my website is just a home page right now, but my web guy and I are working on a whole new site. Stay tuned on this one. By spring it should be up and running with lots of rods, photos, store and all.

Oh yeah ... dinner out really helps when you need that new reel! That being said my wife works with me and she does our beautiful thread wrap finishing among other things. She says I have to go home now! Really, she is cool, just trying to figure out why I am into this forum so much.

Gotta go!

Wade

Post 14 Dec 2011, 00:20 • #25 
Sport
Andrew,

Found my old sheets on your FL 842 Grizzley. Wanted to get back to you before I forgot to. The FL 842 was originally used for the Fenwick 315 Rod Model with the Featherweight aluminum ferrules. Later it became the FL 84-5 blank. The older FL 842 Grizzley's would have been phenolic resin, that pretty much all turned dark orange. Or the epoxy resin which was a semi-translucent rust brown in the 64-66 era. Otherwise the bright yellow FL 84-5 with the glass sleeve ferrules would be polyester resin. The older phenolics or epoxy blanks would be a bit crisper as the resin was harder or higher modulus than the polyester parts. But the basic design remained the same from what I know. The epoxy blanks were the best they ever made as far as I am concerned, but rare.

Hope this helps you out in finding one. If you read through this thread you can see that I aspire to build my own blanks someday. If I do get there we will be able to make one like it. I remember building some rods on the FL 84-5. It was a pretty sweet rod. One of the better ones in that old one-piece (sometimes ferruled) series.

Be careful if you find a 315 rod for sale, as the aluminum ferrules will really change the feel. You probably already know that, but wanted to keep you advised.

Tight lines,

Wade

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply